Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2010, 17:44   #1

Liveaboard in Baltimore Marinas

Hi,
I am interested in a liveaboard option in one of the many beautiful baltimore marinas. Unfortunately I do not own a boat (I have always dreamed of having one), nor can I afford to purchase one right now. I want to rent out space in a liveaboard community on an existing boat owners boat, much like renting an apartment. Is this possible? Any information woud be helpful.
ceassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 17:52   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I know a couple people that tried that....and got thrown out of the Marina.

If you do try it....don't advertise it.....

Harborview is not the place

Baltimore Marine Center and The Anchorage only permit you to stay aboard a limited time per month.......15 or so days.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 04:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I know a couple people that tried that....and got thrown out of the Marina.

If you do try it....don't advertise it.....

Harborview is not the place

Baltimore Marine Center and The Anchorage only permit you to stay aboard a limited time per month.......15 or so days.
There are 20+ liveaboards at Baltimore Marine Center, but I doubt any of them rent their boats out.
sparklegirl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 09:23   #4

Anchorage Marina is NOT worth your time

Reasons:
--The place is a sloppy mess...floating docks with years worth of bird dung piles
--The contract is way too ambiguous in some ways and explicitly restrictive in others
--###################. Do I need to spell that again?

Baltimore Marine Center is very very nice for only a slight increase in cost. If you're truely looking to liveaboard because you'r cheap, there are also a few well kept secret marinas associated with apartment complexs, some with plenty of drawbacks, others without any. These marinas are often cheap as hell and the management totally looks the other way because they don't know any better. When I first moved to the area last spring before I found a house, I spent 3 months on my boat and got a (year contract) slip for $1200 at one of these places.

Keep in mind that around this area, the winters are brutal and dangerous with snow and ice. It's really not a good idea to live on a boat year-round here. Spring and Fall are well worth it though.

--BaltimoreBoater
baltimoreboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 09:53   #5

Baltimore Marine Center

Having survived this past brutal winter aboard our boat, I can tell you a little about winter time in this marina.

The dockhands leave buckets of salt at the end of every pier. There is also a bucket of salt and a shovel at the end of the ramp as you come in the gate. They also clear a path on every dock.

Living aboard here in the winter is doable - you just have to be prepared, and be careful. Going thru 3 major storms this winter, we survived with no injuries to person, dog or boat.
sparklegirl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 18:22   #6

That is depressing to hear.

Yeah I talked to someone in the office of the Anchorage Marina and she said that she was a liveaboard herself. She also said that it's technically allowed but not broadly spoken about. If I pay monthly and yearly fees I really don't see why not...don't entire families have liveaboard situations?
Old 14-06-2010, 18:25   #7

Is there any way to "rent" a boat for a year or so as well as rent the boat slip space?
Old 14-06-2010, 18:26   #8

Please forgive my ignorance...I appreciate the response.
Old 14-06-2010, 18:29   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Baltimore Marinas generally don't like liveaboards.....some because they are slobs and drunks.....the other reason is they cut into the profits......more trash collection, more dockhands, more maitanance issues of piers etc. Parking limitations.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 18:34   #10

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
There have been motor yachts for rent as condos in the Annapolis area and at Gangplank down in DC but they get snapped up pretty quick. Subletting your boat seems to be a major no-no around Baltimore. I think one of the reasons is that most of the reputable marinas that anyone would want to live in are now run by big, important, lots of rules, Marina Incorporated. And the little mom and pop marinas, very few though they may be, may allow this but you're likely to get a boat that Dracula wouldn't try to escape on.

In other words, the boats I'll be called to demolish at the end of the season...
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 18:38   #11

Sighhhh haha looks like I'll just remain a dreamer. Just out of curiosity do you know on average how expensive it would be to rent a boat as well as the slip fees per year? Staying in baltimore is semi important, as I'll be working there.
Old 14-06-2010, 18:40   #12

Sending you a PM.
Old 14-06-2010, 18:42   #13

Hhmmm? A what now?
Old 14-06-2010, 18:45   #14

Private Message.
Old 25-07-2010, 10:33   #15
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Recommend living closer to the bay. The commute isn't bad and you'll hook up with more of the cruising and/or racing community.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, liveaboard