Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2023, 18:24   #1

Live aboard friendly marinas in CA

We are buying a 48' sailboat in California. We are planning to live on the boat full time while we brush up on our sailing skills and make some repairs and modifications before we sail over the horizon. We are finding it difficult to locate a marina with a mooring or slip available for live aboards. Any recommendations?
SailingBulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 18:40   #2

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Live aboard friendly marinas in CA

Had some friends who lived aboard for a while on a mooring in pillar point harbor near half moon bay. Don't know any details.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 18:48   #3

California is close to 800 miles north to south, almost 400 miles from San Francisco to San Diego. Any particular part of the state you're considering?
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:56   #4

Primarily we want to be near resources that can help us do some refitting. Currently the boat is near the SF Bay area and it would be nice to stay in that area, but we are flexible based on what marinas are available.
SailingBulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:19   #5

Over the years, I've lived in three SF Bay marinas. Emery Cove marina in Emeryville is fairly liveaboard friendly for cruiser types prepping for heading out. Oyster Cove is a private marina and has had a fairly accessible liveaboard policy though like all marinas, really depends on whether dockmaster has an agreeable opinion of you. I also lived at Treasure Island Marina for a number of years, though they did not technically allow liveaboards, there were a few who lived there openly. I also thought about living aboard at Pier 39 but ended up moving to Florida. I liked Pier 39 more than I thought I would but surge is a bit iffy.

Of them all, Emery Cove was my favorite. Decent reataurants nearby, friendly atmosphere, and access to marine and various stores nearby. Nice place to live.

Caveat: If 'refit' means you own a project boat that needs major work just to be usable, I doubt there's anyplace in the SF Bay area that would allow both a liveaboard or a project boat; certainly not both. Moss Landing in Monterey Bay used to be fairly accepting but my info is dated.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:13   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Over the years, I've lived in three SF Bay marinas. Emery Cove marina in Emeryville is fairly liveaboard friendly for cruiser types prepping for heading out. Oyster Cove is a private marina and has had a fairly accessible liveaboard policy though like all marinas, really depends on whether dockmaster has an agreeable opinion of you. I also lived at Treasure Island Marina for a number of years, though they did not technically allow liveaboards, there were a few who lived there openly. I also thought about living aboard at Pier 39 but ended up moving to Florida. I liked Pier 39 more than I thought I would but surge is a bit iffy.

Of them all, Emery Cove was my favorite. Decent reataurants nearby, friendly atmosphere, and access to marine and various stores nearby. Nice place to live.

Caveat: If 'refit' means you own a project boat that needs major work just to be usable, I doubt there's anyplace in the SF Bay area that would allow both a liveaboard or a project boat; certainly not both. Moss Landing in Monterey Bay used to be fairly accepting but my info is dated.

What years was this. Getting any authorized liveaboard in SF Bay is damn near impossible. The BCDC imposes a mandatory 10% cap on liveaboards throughout the Bay and all connected waters. I am on multiple waiting lists, with good relations and long term slippage with marina staff.

Oyster cove kicked all liveaboards out last year, so there is that many more waiting now. Several that have looked the other way have received complaints and are cracking down.

Pier 39 is explicit that no liveaboards are allowed.

Perhaps Marina Bay in Richmond. The location sucks (though the marina isn't bad) so overall occupancy is low. There are rows of empty slips, so they might be under the 10%. There are a few liveaboards there do very extensive refits, that normally would not be allowed anywhere else. I snuck aboard there for a couple months until the location became to difficult to work with.

Bodega Bay might also be an option. Or maybe Napa.
Old 10-02-2023, 14:15   #7

Emery Cove and Treasure Island was through early 2019, though more of a wink-wink arrangement as I traveled a lot. Although I was at Emery Cove for almost a year, I was more or less a cruising boat passing through. And I was not alone. But perhaps things have changed. All I can do is relate my experiences to help the OP as best I can. At the time, was my wife and I, had a nice boat that we used a lot, and kept a low profile.

Oyster Cove was 10 years ago - as mentioned, info may be dated which sounds like it is. BTW - The BCDC "10%" regulations have been around for 25 years.

In the end, being a legal and authorized liveaboard in California (and other places) is indeed difficult and will only become more difficult, not less. I would not count on finding and maintaining a long term liveaboard slip because things change so quickly.

Tags
Live aboard, marinas