Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2023, 18:51   #1

Boat drifting in Marshall islands

Name of the vessel : Kesako - White hull with a light blue stripe - 40 feet - French flag - Last seen : a few miles from Marshall islands (read below) - AIS should still work (MMSI : 227680000).

I am sharing this post in case one of you could help or know someone who could help. Please share around you. Hereunder the translation in English of the original post :
"Hello, I am sending out a message in a bottle, a plea for help from a family overwhelmed by the situation we are going through. My name is Emilie, I am the niece of Joël L... whom we call "Félix". He is a solo navigator who has participated in several transatlantic races. He is a seasoned sailor. His dream since childhood was to make a solo trip around the world as soon as he retired. On June 1, 2019, his dream came true and he departed from his native island, Ouessant (France).
Everything went well until he left Papeete (French Polynesia) in October 2022 to reach Nouméa (New Caledonia).
After several days of worry, we were told on December 21 that something happened to him... but we don't know what.
His boat changed course in an abnormal way and it is now drifting with the winds.
Then, a real battle to know more about what happened started. We have contacted the competent authorities: the gendarmerie, the maritime gendarmerie, the MRCC in Nouméa, then the JRCC in Honolulu, the Cross Gris Nez, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in connection with San Francisco, the RMI Sea Patrol (Maritime Patrol of the Republic of the Marshall Islands), his boat insurance which is not helping at all (and whose name I will not mention for the moment)... and I'm sure there are more with all the networks we reached to. But NOTHING, NO NEWS!
The boat has still not been investigated! A cargo ship approached on December 22 after a call has been made by the MRCC in Nouméa, but nobody was able to board it. The boat seems abandoned. No more information. We have so many questions still pending. And no answer.
And since December 22, nothing. Of course, we understand the difficulty of approaching a boat in the middle of the sea, we must avoid risking human lives, we have hardly accepted this argument, but since then, it has continued on its way and has reached the waters near the Marshall Islands, which has the means to intervene! This week it passed 3 NM from the atoll of Utirik and a few NM from the atoll of Meijit. And nobody did anything ! The JRCC in Honolulu has withdrawn from the case, the Cross Gris Nez cannot request an intervention, the RMI Sea Patrol is not responding to requests, and the insurance is still absent and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is waiting... we are also waiting!
We are not asking for much... just answers and an investigation of the boat. Today, we can go to the moon, but we cannot go to a boat at sea...
I am convinced that if my uncle had been someone famous, important to our politicians, all of this would have been resolved a long time ago. And you know what? HE IS someone important! To me, to our family, his friends, and I assure you that dozens and dozens of people are also waiting... He has had his fair share of troubles at sea, and has always come back. Today, he will not return, but if any of you can help us make things happen, contact me. I am convinced that it only takes one phone call for this situation to end. Thank you... Thank you for sharing as much as possible and making this message..."

If anyone is in Marshall islands, or have a useful contact, please message me. The family is trying to find someone who could board the boat and see what is going on. They need answers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POS325414820_887931428910940_8133734307088855246_n.png
Views:	177
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	270676   Click image for larger version

Name:	POS325176854_1365785990822166_7946870838948477865_n.png
Views:	268
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	270677  

Name:	POS324480372_903490484320462_1343401179132063223_n.png
Views:	179
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	270678   Click image for larger version

Name:	MMSI324045967_698636845263574_8583312020305782740_n.png
Views:	142
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	270679  

Name:	MMSI325158669_1585378945298613_5919527601642321986_n.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	270680   Click image for larger version

Name:	PHOTO322742145_696284248869853_67770581803194219_n.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	270681  

Old 27-01-2023, 21:00   #2

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Re: Boat drifting in Marshall islands

If the boat is already past Utrik and drifting NW, it's well over 350 miles from Majuro. On a fast boat, that is still a day away, or more. It will be hard to find someone to undertake this, definitely without offer of cash payment (fuel costs $$$ in Majuro). It's not like someone already on Utrik can just go out there, they don't have the capability. So the only chance is for someone from Majuro to go up there, on a boat. It seems very unlikely you could find someone outside the government (who do have a couple of patrol boats).

Another avenue might be to try reaching out to Jack Niedenthal, though I am not sure the best way to contact him - he knows everyone in Majuro, and everyone who might possibly be helpful in the entire country including in the government.

You might also reach out to Giff Johnson at the Marshall Islands Journal (maybe via https://marshallislandsjournal.com/contact-us/) - he also is well connected to everyone in government.

Another idea might be to ask via the Majuro yacht club Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/miecobeachyachtclub) - no idea if anyone will respond, nor is there any recent postings on the page. But people in RMI with yachts might be interested to help.

I wish I could help more, I knew a charter boat captain who operated out of Majuro (sport fishing) some years ago but he has moved to Hawaii and I've lost touch.
Old 27-01-2023, 21:50   #3

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Very sad, but that is one of the most remote parts of the North Pacific Ocean. Nearest land is hundreds of nautical miles away and the countries are some of the poorest in the world, so no maritime rescue capability.

Best bet might be to try and get France (since he is French) interested in trying to fly a defence force plane from New Caledonia to there to do some more checking.

Unfortunately not likely to be a good outcome.
Old 28-01-2023, 09:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeJ View Post
...we were told on December 21 that something happened to him... but we don't know what.
His boat changed course in an abnormal way and it is now drifting with the winds.
Who notified you?

Please advise how the boat changed course in an abnormal way?

Keep in mind, the vessel appears to have a wind vane steering system. If the person aboard fell off or became incapacitated, when the wind shifted, the boat's course would have changed. To be clear, if the wind was blowing out of the south and the vane set to keep a 90 degree port wind angle, the boat would head west. If the wind shifted to the west, the vessel would automatically turn to a heading of north, and sail along with the sails trimmed.

It would appear that at the time the vessel changed course, your uncle was incapacitated or not aboard.

Quote:
TA cargo ship approached on December 22 after a call has been made by the MRCC in Nouméa, but nobody was able to board it. The boat seems abandoned. No more information.

Of course, we understand the difficulty of approaching a boat in the middle of the sea, we must avoid risking human lives, we have hardly accepted this argument, but since then, it has continued on its way and has reached the waters near the Marshall Islands, which has the means to intervene! This week it passed 3 NM from the atoll of Utirik and a few NM from the atoll of Meijit. And nobody did anything

We are not asking for much... just answers and an investigation of the boat. .
Having spent a fair amount of time in open waters, it is likely the ship approached, sounded its horn repeatedly. If this is the case, anyone aboard would have shown themselves. Apparently no one showed themselves.

At this point any investigation would require boarding a boat in open waters. And yes if that was Macron's or Biden's family member, a sub would have surfaced next to the sailboat. But sadly, that is not the case.

My final point is that it is normal for families to seek closure, knowledge of what happened. When things happen offshore, especially when someone sets off alone, that closure sometimes does not happen. There are many things that can happen offshore. As I tell my wife, know that if I die out there I die doing something I love.

I encourage you and your family to find strength that if Felix died out there, it was doing something he loved.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 28-01-2023, 13:00   #5

Boat: Nor'West 33

Based on the course of travel your best bet at this point might be to get a message to the commander on Wake Island, which to the best of my knowledge is still an active U.S. military base. The boat looks to be roughly on that course and they'd have by far the best ability to investigate. If the boat got close enough they'd probably do it anyway for security protocol. It's a place that if appropriate the opportunity to do something a bit out of the mundane would be greeted with some enthusiasm!

With all the atolls in the Marshalls it's a bit surprising the boat didn't plow into one to be honest. Back in the 90s I lived on Namu (over in the Railik chain) and had to look up some of the atolls you mentioned in the Ratak chain. If they are inhabited it would be very lightly by people who would likely only possess small boats with low-powered outboards. They're some of the warmest people on earth- but they simply don't have the ability to investigate an offshore sailboat going by that they could barely see anyway.

It's probably already North of the track any cruisers would take as well- but I pray your efforts to get answers will bear fruit!
Old 28-01-2023, 13:30   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Based on the course of travel your best bet at this point might be to get a message to the commander on Wake Island, which to the best of my knowledge is still an active U.S. military base. The boat looks to be roughly on that course and they'd have by far the best ability to investigate. If the boat got close enough they'd probably do it anyway for security protocol. It's a place that if appropriate the opportunity to do something a bit out of the mundane would be greeted with some enthusiasm!

With all the atolls in the Marshalls it's a bit surprising the boat didn't plow into one to be honest. Back in the 90s I lived on Namu (over in the Railik chain) and had to look up some of the atolls you mentioned in the Ratak chain. If they are inhabited it would be very lightly by people who would likely only possess small boats with low-powered outboards. They're some of the warmest people on earth- but they simply don't have the ability to investigate an offshore sailboat going by that they could barely see anyway.

It's probably already North of the track any cruisers would take as well- but I pray your efforts to get answers will bear fruit!
If it were the equivalent of the maritime safety agency of your government who notified you, maybe they could contact the US gov't, to see if the command at Wake could look for the boat, and I don't know how the request would be handled, there would need to be formalized contacts between the nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Who notified you?

Please advise how the boat changed course in an abnormal way?

Keep in mind, the vessel appears to have a wind vane steering system. If the person aboard fell off or became incapacitated, when the wind shifted, the boat's course would have changed. To be clear, if the wind was blowing out of the south and the vane set to keep a 90 degree port wind angle, the boat would head west. If the wind shifted to the west, the vessel would automatically turn to a heading of north, and sail along with the sails trimmed.

It would appear that at the time the vessel changed course, your uncle was incapacitated or not aboard.

Having spent a fair amount of time in open waters, it is likely the ship approached, sounded its horn repeatedly. If this is the case, anyone aboard would have shown themselves. Apparently no one showed themselves.

At this point any investigation would require boarding a boat in open waters. And yes if that was Macron's or Biden's family member, a sub would have surfaced next to the sailboat. But sadly, that is not the case.

My final point is that it is normal for families to seek closure, knowledge of what happened. When things happen offshore, especially when someone sets off alone, that closure sometimes does not happen. There are many things that can happen offshore. As I tell my wife, know that if I die out there I die doing something I love.

I encourage you and your family to find strength that if Felix died out there, it was doing something he loved.
To the OP:

I am someone who has accumulated somewhere over 175,000 ocean miles. I think Snore's message for you, above, is one of the kindest ones I've seen in a long time. I agree with Snore on all points. I do realize it is small comfort, but sometimes we just don't get to find out what has happened.

I also think that what would be found if the boat is boarded and Felix's remains are found would not be very informative. Singlehanders ... the danger of going overboard accidentally ... if they become separated from the boat, there is a limit to the time they can stay afloat, swimming, using survival floating, or trying to swim for a bit of land.

Condolences to you and your family members. Try to keep in mind that he wouldn't have been out there had it not been his heart's desire. It was a choice that shows courage and discipline, which are admirable.

Ann
Old 29-01-2023, 13:35   #7

Oh good call !!!! That could explain why some people think it is still steered.... I am ashamed not to have though about that !!!
Thank you !
Old 29-01-2023, 13:40   #8

A US scientist boat "Ocean Titan" is at 525 NM, making way towards SW at 6 knots. Maybe they could be reach and slightly change their route to cross the route of the sailboat ? Anyone here having a contact with someone who could help ? I throw a bottle in the sea....

I tried to share twice my post on Facebook in "South pacific islands sailing & cruising" group where I though I could have contact with people close by but they deleted each time my poste. Shame on the administrators. At sea, we have to count on one another !

So if anyone know someone who could know someone on board this US scientifst boat, maybe we can make sure they got the SAR message + change their route to meet the boat and provide answers to the family ?

Thank you again to all of you !

I would like to share some pictures bu
Old 29-01-2023, 14:18   #9

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

family trying to expand the possible sources of information on this heartbreaking news prompts me to post this.

When emergencies and communities are affected, we remember the HAM operators, always ready to help.

I do not know if any help could be available, but they are a worldwide group, always ready to help.

Personally, will not hesitate to call on two members
Brian and John.
Old 29-01-2023, 14:28   #10

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

PM sent to John and Brian

Hi John and Brian
just "volunteered" your help.
There is a thread ongoing

"Boat drifting in Marshall islands"

David
Old 29-01-2023, 15:09   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I tried to share twice my post on Facebook in "South pacific islands sailing & cruising" group where I though I could have contact with people close by but they deleted each time my poste. Shame on the administrators. At sea, we have to count on one another
Since the boat left the South Pacific some time ago, that was an entirely understandable reaction. Your information DOES appear in the Sail SE Asia Facebook group - which is a more appropriate venue given the last known location and direction it is moving.
Old 29-01-2023, 15:47   #12

An understandable reaction would have been to PM me to tell me why they want to delete the post and propose - as you do, thank you - other alternative for example. And not dryly delete when I try to help and spread the message.

And anyway, any contact in the Pacific is good to have, South Pacific or not. Some boat may leave the South to go North or may know other boat in the northern region (that is why I posted on this group).
Old 29-01-2023, 23:50   #13

Thank you so much for your message. Very useful information for Wake island. I did not know.I gave the information to the family.
Old 03-02-2023, 20:01   #14

Quote:
This week it passed 3 NM from the atoll of Utirik and a few NM from the atoll of Meijit. And nobody did anything
I'm assuming that means none of the authorities, nor the insurance company did anything - but perhaps they did not know that the boat was going to be within 3nm of those atolls.

As for the atolls themselves, both atolls are I think, fairly sparsely populated, with the inhabitants concentrated mostly on the western sides along the lagoon shores.

If any of the residents saw the boat passing, and especially if the sails still look ok and it is being steered by the vane, they probably thought it was simply another around long distance sailor on his journey.
If they saw nobody in the cockpit, they would not think it unusual. Very few of us sit in the cockpit when cruising. There's just so much other stuff to do. If we are cruising among reefs and islands, we just check the charts and if we have it, GPS, and pop up regularly to look around the horizon to make sure we are heading clear of boats, reefs and islands.

It is a pity the boat hasn't crossed paths with another cruiser. They would have called on the radio just to say 'Hi' and swap info and yarns.

I hope there's some resolution to this situation. It must be emotionally painful for all those concerned.
Old 05-02-2023, 21:35   #15

So sorry of your situation. As has been said, this is a poor and remote part of the world.

Single handing also has much higher risk than even a crew of just 2. You don’t have to fall over to be in this situation. As retired he is not young. But even young people can fall and get injured or sick and if alone, can be in dire straights. As we age this possibility goes up logarithmically. Single handing has a much much higher risk. Many many more things can cause a situation like this than just falling overboard.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, Marshall Islands