Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2010, 13:42   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I like the inflatable dog- can be conveniently put away while passage making. Throwing a dirty diaper (open) would be a good defense. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would trespass after one of those volleys and the shout "Ive got a whole bucket full!" I think the blackest of villains are repulsed by baby poop.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 14:15   #137

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
In the OP's wife's postition I think I may have screamed HELP, HELP, there's a man on my boat, especially in a busy area. Guaranteed to turn away all but the most malevolent men. I don't think it would work for you guys though

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 14:29   #138
CLOD

Boat: none
Isn't the correct thing to yell to get people's attention always FIRE....FIRE!!!

I never would have thought this topic was a problem. Sure I can see people walking by and looking at boats (boat lust lives), but to come aboard and myself at home! Just hard to think about!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 15:43   #139

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Put up the signs "No Trespassing" and set some tripwires. Not with grenades or bouncing bettys although this would have the desired effect on the intruder it will damage your boat and we don't want that.

Have the lines of monofilament attached to a wooden wedge that is jamming the spring loaded lid of a small purpose built plywood box, in that plywood box is a small handheld aerosol fog horn.
Once the tripwire is hit it pulls out the wedge and the spring loaded lid depresses the button and activates the horn. Your girlfriend is alerted that there is someone on board and your intruder will need a change of shorts, it will also alert others in the marina that you have an intruder.

Build the box just small enough to accommodate the fog horn with a notch cut out for the horn itself. Have the box just tall enough so when the lid is closed the horn goes off. A strip of cycle inner tube stretched across the top can act as a spring mechanisim. It cheap, easy to make and effective.
I use this method myself on a lot of boats.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 18:09   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I have never been a big fan of IQ and Mensa.
Nor I. Some of the dumbest people that couldn't think their way out of saran wrap, have tons of degrees!! Trust me, I have several in my family!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 19:08   #141

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau
I've found this thread to be informative. My wife and I live aboard three or four days each week and enjoy walking our marina docks at sunset. At times I'm excited about a new or transient boat and will walk onto the finger dock to see a model or name. My enthusiasm to identify the unusual craft apparently caused me to exceed proper marina etiquette..so thank you for the heads up...don't want to be shot by a displaced Texan!
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 19:44   #142

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Stupid is as stupid does

"Wow. It's all becoming so clear to me now. The drooling, the getting lost, the getting married..."

That was me before the first marriage-- I got better--Got a job-- Got my own boats.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 19:56   #143

Boat: Island Packet 27, BLISS
Quote:
Isn't the correct thing to yell to get people's attention always FIRE....FIRE!!!
I think that's only if you fall into a vat of chocolate.

(Have just dated myself -- but only to those also old enough to recognize the reference.)
Gracias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 19:58   #144

We have a home on Lake Travis and the local folks are generally quite polite and respectful, but the lake attracts a lot of tourists looking for a crazy weekend. We have a lot below our house which fronts on Comanche Trail right by Hippie Hollow. People sometimes just pull up and park on my lot to go to the nude beach. I tell them the fee is $20 and they keep rolling. I think your sign strikes the right balance. Make it clear that this is your home without threatening anyone.

I own firearms but would not shoot anyone unless my life or a family member's life was threatened.

BTW, we drink and dance every couple of weeks at Carlos and Charlies right by your boat. It is a fun place but does have more than its share of messed up people at closing time. The sign was the right way to handle this, IMHO.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 07:28   #145

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Just follow the law as I posted previously, hang your signage as required, and you'll be fine. Your butt's covered with the state/police/sheriffs dept., no matter what happens. What I posted is the proper legal way of handling this in Texas. Any other can land you in hot water if an incident occurs with possible liabilities on your part.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 07:34   #146

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
No Trespassing might encourage the drunks

I think I'd go with a sign that says something like "Private Residence" and stick a "Baby on Board" sign somewhere in very plain sight.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 08:37   #147

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
All well and good as an additional thing but there are certain base requirements to be met. If "excrement occurs", or some sort of "fracas", and they're not properly posted, THEY could be liable on a civil level AND possibly lose the criminal aspect of the incident. Like I said before, we've already dealt with this issue and I'm trying to pass on the importance of Proper CYA in the eyes of the law. They could complain to law enforcement and probably the first or second question will be "is the property posted?". The first response to the answer "no" will be a lecture on the needs and the proper method of doing so. Not to say they'll ignore your issues and not take action, but afterwards in court it's a different thing entirely. It's not the cops we're worried about here, it's the lawyers.

A small sign hung on the liferail port and starboard (bow or stern as appropriate) facing and visible from the "approaches".
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 10:08   #148
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracias View Post

I think that's only if you fall into a vat of chocolate.

(Have just dated myself -- but only to those also old enough to recognize the reference.)
Thank you Tom and Dick.

Yes, I'm dated as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 10:22   #149

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
what? never walked down the street and looked at the houses, looked in windows and noticed art on the walls or the corner of book shelves, the colour of the curtains? Or down the street and admired a car and looked in at that cherry mustang convertible to drool over the tuck and roll?

Most of the boats in the marina sit there from year to year with no one ever even checking on them except for the harbour master or the neighbours. Last week we noticed the neighbouring boat on one side had busted its dock lines and hauled out our old ones to tie her up again. A few weeks ago we noticed (while dock walking and admiring and comparing) a boat that seemed a bit low... looked in side and sure enough, water over the sole. told the office about that one so they could contact the owners. Vintage chris craft? love to peek in and see how they are similar or different from the boats on my childhood. Mostly I am saddened to see how abandoned they are. Do we stroll up to the liveaboards and peer in? no. doh. slips? Sure.
but all the lonely ladies sitting in their

but all the lonely ladies sitting in their ................where do there all belong?????

Kinda reminds me of that Beatles song.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 14:14   #150

Boat: Eric Cox offshore 40ft cutter rigged sloop. named "Searcher" built 1965
Hi Paul here in Nelson NZ, I've lived aboard for around 8 years and still get the nosey buggers thinking a marina is a car yard. I have curtains on the ports & draw them when out so that undesirable types don't know if anyone is aboard or not. Leave a radio on playing talk back shows, it sounds like someone is aboard. Some of the people here have pot plants on their dock, it looks more owned? although a friend had his nice pots stolen by some a*^$# A pair of big boots on the dock should get them thinking? I don't leave anything around that can be picked up & carried off, ie life rings,rope,torches,flags, thieves steal anything just cos they can so don't temp the dropkicks. I'm like most boaties & love looking at other boats but I look for the signs and leave people alone.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote