Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 07:53   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Is This Possible ?

I would downscale it to a 200cc bike. It would be much more manageable. It's much lighter and you would still have the range and speed of something that you do not have to pedal. Not that I am against bicycles in any way.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:51   #17

David, I agree that a smaller street legal dirt bike could be ideal for someone.

Actually, my bike is not what I would consider ideal for this as it is heavier than most dirt bikes, but it is a 650cc. It's also a V twin, which is much better on the road, where, eventually most of the miles will be rolled up. So, maybe it is rather ideal as it is good on any highway or freeway.

Several considerations on the bike. But, mostly, does it suit the purpose?
I'm 6' and hang around 210 pounds, a 200cc bike would be insufficient for me riding 100 miles. I doubt I owuld get to go without my GF on the back either (lol) so a 200cc would not do at all for me or larger adults.

A 500cc would work for me riding by myself, it would work hard with two up on the seat. I've ridden mini bikes with lawn mower engines to 2000cc cruisers and owned them in every size range. There is not much difference in weight and size from a 500cc to a 650cc.....since I already own the bike, guess I'm stuck with it.

The ideal bike would probably be a stripped down dirt track 650 to 750 with some good knobby tires, as you'd probably not be jumping so much and it could be lighter.....but I'm not going to the trouble or expense of building a specialized bike, but someone could. A bike smaller than a 500 really struggles running at highway speeds for a hundred miles, not that it can't be done.

If someone needed local transportation only, a small scooter might do, even a 50cc that requires no license, you could modify such a scooter to carry it out of the muck! It would be much smaller on board too! I have seen some that I could probably humpout on my back with a couple straps.

I guess people read what they want to, I'm talking about, in my case, rivers and the ICW. My travel plans may include 200 miles a day touring on the bike. I'll be gone a couple days at most while the boat is in safekeeping, at a marina, a boat dock, at a camp ground along a river, or locked up, covered up and hidden maybe on private property with the owner's permission. I'm sure there are places to keep boats for a couple days.

When I was a kid, I was a bicycle road racer, nationally ranked, I have ridden tens of thousands of miles on a bicycle. I also led tours and I rode a foldable ten speed about 120 miles on one tour in the hills of the Ozarks. It was a neat little thing and while having smaller wheels and not my preference, at 17, I did it as a promotion for the bike shop. I only did it one time and won't do it again. They would be great for running around town and getting some shopping done.

I'd be in better shape if I were still riding a bicycle, but I'm not and won't be.

I guess folks don't understand what I'm talking about when I say remote areas....I mean in the woods, 40 or 50 miles from towns, where there are only fire trials or hog runs along the White and Buffalo Rivers. It's off road cycling and camping along the river. If you're not into off roading, you won't know. You won't be riding a foldable bicycle in these areas, you'd be carrying it. With an adult rider, you'll need some power to get up those hills.

Let's get off the Mississippi at the Kentucky, let's ride the highway along the Smoke Mountains and see some historical sites. A good day trip will be about 200 miles, a little further than most would want to pedal I think in one day. Next day, let's ride to Vicksburg! The boat can stay at the marina at the Kentucky State Park.

There is a boat ramp not far from Navy Peer in Chicago, it goes right up to the parking lot and on to the street, a perfect place to put a motorcycle out and see the town. They also have protected moorings and they will give you a lift to the ball. They are not cheap either, but that has nothing to do with a bike.

Galveston is nice too, they even have waterways through residential areas....gee, I can vist family there! I can also ride up to Houston to visit more family....this is great!

I understand many thinking of surf hitting you with your boat tossing while trying to lift a load in the air and sitting a bike off in a foot or water that quickly becomes three feet of water....that's not the picture, hopefully anyone that would do this would have a little common sence.

Lastly, while most municipalities might frown on invasions by landing crafts, there are civilized areas where unloading a vehicle would be allowed (most have never seen it done before and would probably wonder how you're gonna do it). I'm sure there would be a crowd at times. There are other areas away from the beaten path to accomplish this without anyone ever realizing what you did. Especially in a National Forrest.

I hope the OP comes back with his plan and concerns as it would certainly benefit those who think having a bike could be a doable thing.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:03   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I worked for a time on a 112' motoryacht. On the aft end of the flybridge, behind the hot tub, Were 2 jetskis, a 16' RIB and 2 yamaha motorscooters. The boat spent a large portion of it's time in protected waters with the scooters under sunbrella covers. That said though the scooters were a constant nightmare, from electrical to rusted brakes to stuck cables and broken springs on the kickstands. We used the hydraulic davit crane to unload dockside, never even attempted to dinghy them to the beach.
these scooters were 30' above the water, protected by the flybridge windows and fresh rinsed after every outing wether used or not.
I would think long and hard about salt and rust on the deck of a 30-40 foot boat.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:24   #19

I really appreciate comments from those who been there, done that, on this issue. I guess you didn't have much of a problem on a boat that big, probably didn't know they were back there.

This is actually helping me make up my mind, I have already decided to forego the Voyager and go for the scow with the open bow gate. Instead of an open bow/deck area found with production landing crafts, this would be small enough to have a covered deck with a hatch opening up. That means the bike would be down in the hold. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:45   #20

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Several considerations on the bike. But, mostly, does it suit the purpose?
I'm 6' and hang around 210 pounds, a 200cc bike would be insufficient for me riding 100 miles. I doubt I owuld get to go without my GF on the back either (lol) so a 200cc would not do at all for me or larger adults.

I hope the OP comes back with his plan and concerns as it would certainly benefit those who think having a bike could be a doable thing.
I put 64,000 miles on a CB 125.

I could not afford 500cc.

Not saying you guys can't do what you are talking about.

When you do it please post pics etc.
Old 01-03-2012, 14:23   #21

Boat: too many

This is the heaviest I've ever dealt with, and at 103 lbs is less than 1/4 of the weight of the OP. Now that lithium has come down in price, next time out it will have gone on a diet down to 73 lbs and have twice the range. With the AGM batteries the range is 6.5 miles, lithium should give 13 miles. 6.5 miles has been enough most the time, but since I built it with exposed terminals, and the AGM can take a 3.0C charge rate instead of the 0.1C of regular lead acid, when I get low just pull into a service station and charge in 15 minutes.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 16:37   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I think stating that a 650 or larger for fire trail riding is overstating the case. I did 3-4 years of trail riding on a 350 suzuki DR. This is plenty of bike for one 210# to go a hundred miles even with a joiner on back.

I also think a determined cruiser could build a suitable "swim platform" on the back of the boat purpose built for this. Especially as described coastal cruising with 100 mile stops. The platform would heve to be engineered properly and one could also add a crane.

Putting 300# of dirt bike on the stern is not ideal but the moment arm might equal 3 crew in the cockpit so it's not a disaster.

If you gotta have a chrome monster 650 then try it.

Either way send pics...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 17:02   #23

Re: Is this possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowingdude View Post
That can be done! Thanks.. now I just need to get the rest of the cash.
Sell the bike. That will get you started on your down payment.
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 23:21   #24

A consideration not mentioned is having the bike shipped to the expected destination. I have recieved and shipped several full size bikes ( H-D ) over the years using the shipping crates from H-D. These platforms are designed to be on/off loaded by fork lifts. I have used regular freight trucks, moving companies, and trucks specialized just for motorcycles. The last time we got a bike, it came from Jacksonville FL. to Miami FL. cost the customer under $200.00 and was only 1 day in transport. We stored the bike,at the shop no charge, til the customer showed up. Happens all the time, in the winter, from the people in the northern states. Most shoppes don't charge anything to off load and store for a reasonable amount of time.
Just another option
PEACETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:42   #25

That's how most H-Ds rack up miles traveled, in trucks or on trailers!

It might get expensive having a trucking company chase you as you cruise.

Hey, I didn't mean to imply that it takes a 650cc or more on fire trails, it should be sized to the rider....getting on an interstate highway is another issue....
Old 03-03-2012, 17:32   #26

Boat: too many

It can be done, but this boat it is easier to pull off.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:48   #27

I'm not the only one! Thanks Bob!

Sure would like tosee that boom and how they swing it around. Pretty big boat too. Looks like they took the seat off to rig to the frame.

I wonder if he cruises with it or it was a one time move....and how they secured in on deck.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:03   #28

Boat: mt34dt

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
It can be done, but this boat it is easier to pull off.
Looks like it helps to have Superman assist.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:30   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I did 3-4 years of trail riding on a 350 suzuki DR. This is plenty of bike for one 210# to go a hundred miles even with a joiner on back..
That would be my choice as well and coming in at 240lbs be much easier to move on and off a boat. Plastics instead of chrome would be better in a salt environment. I had the smaller 250cc version as a teenager and it survived my clumsy attempts at riding cross country every weekend.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002SUZDR350X9-01.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	38270  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:55   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

Or what about upsizing to a Triumph Rocket........

......and towing the damned boat!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote