Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 10:25   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: If you won the lottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

I'd invite all the homeless kids with Tanzer 22's to meet me at Main Duck Island for a bonfire and a singalong....and you could come too, my treat.
At least there is 1 ulturistic person on this forum!

Hope the brats don't rob you!

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:38   #32

Boat: 1975 Cal 2-29

Quote:
I would buy a dozen Tanzer 22s, fix em up, stock em up, and give them to the homeless kids I see downtown. Then they would have a place to sleep, and maybe a future.

I would get new sails made for all the old boats that need new sails.

I'd sponsor all those young cruising couples on patreon, then maybe go visit them.

I would charter a fleet of sailboats to take kids with cancer out sailing.

I'd donate a ton of money to every sail training organization I could find...TBI, Brigantine Inc, etc...

I'd buy new lasers, windsurfers, and optis for all the summer camps around here.

I'd design (with help) a new affordable sailboat with electric drive for all those newbies who want to try sailing.

I'd build a marina for just sailboats, and charge very reasonable (low) rates...you would pay based on HP, not length.

I'd hire a good diesel mechanic to just walk the docks and help people with their engine troubles.

I'd invite all the homeless kids with Tanzer 22's to meet me at Main Duck Island for a bonfire and a singalong....and you could come too, my treat.
YOU ROCK!!!!!!
CaitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:27   #33

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Garcia exploration 65 (or maybe even the 52 ft) for cruising, first choice

Dragonfly 35 trimaran, all carbon fiber, eccc

But i would like also a 1970... 100-120 ft ship..Gardner engine,eccc
I with the Garcia guy but probably the new 45 design assist by Jimmy cornell
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:39   #34

Boat: Brewer 44

Amel 55
bfiegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:08   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As a fan of Sparkman and Stephens, and since my daughter's name is Hilaria, that is an easy one. There is one built by Abeking and Rasmussen... I'd make them an offer that would be hard to refuse! Then I'd go find the Star Pilot, a Gloucester schooner, and maybe I could start that sailing program with it I have pondered... Maybe Hamburking would like to team up on that one?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:23   #36
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Does this lottery make me well off, rich or stupid rich? Opting for stupid rich, I'd get a very nice new and efficient 70 footer, but more importantly, I'd have a couple of paid crew to do the hard stuff. Then I could sail when I wanted to and goof off in my beautiful cabin or on deck when I felt like it. Until I reach a port, then the crew stays with the boat while I go buy the bar a round or two.
when I run out of money, it's back to my old Columbia and tinkering with the 40 year old Atomic 4...
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:32   #37

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper

Use the lotto money to charter a vessel of choice and have Cpt. and crew run boat. Only fee is agreed on price of charter. Repairs, fuel ect. comes out Owners pocket not yours.
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 14:51   #38

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
The very rich don't "own" anything...just rent.

When you have too much money, "time" becomes the most valuable commodity. So no time is wasted on preparation, maintenance or mundane tasks. Working slobs can take care of that before you arrive. Renting is the way to go...live in the present and don't worry about anything else.

https://www.burgessyachts.com/en/cha...ailing-yachts/

Also, new underpants every day.
The very rich own land....

IMHO it is not "too much money". Just more than you need. I've know several folks that are very rich but have way less cash than many that think themselves poor.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 14:53   #39

wally 72 is my dream boat awesome
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 17:34   #40

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

If stupid rich I would get Hambergking to help me spend some of it.

Then give some airplane Pilot training scholar ships. I would have to work out just how.

I would get (or charter) a seriously big sailing yacht for at least a while. I got a short ride on (i think, the memory is a terrible thing to lose) the schooner Blue Nose in Halifax. Very light conditions but the feeling of power with a puff of wind was really something.

I don't think I would want a crew all the time, hence the need for one of Steve and Linda Dashew's power boats. I have a friend in his early '70s who has sailed his whole life. He and a buddy did the double handed transpac race several times. His buddy did very well with a consumer product and when they were in their 60's had enough money to buy almost any boat he wanted to. Buddy called my friend and told him he had bought a big yacht (I think it was in the 120 foot range) and they were going on a cruise to Mexico. My friend got off at the first stop. He said "There was nothing to do. The engine room was perfect and the engineer was there just in case... Everything was clean. All the lines were coiled. I thought maybe I'll get a cup of coffee and barely thought it and someone handed me one. Well maybe I'll have a drink. Someone handed me one. I was bored to death." So maybe a charter instead of buying....
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 18:08   #41

Boat: Kaufman 47

I'd buy an identical boat as the exploration yacht as Mike Horn's Pangaea. Such a beautiful and functional vessel. He's a great guy too.

http://www.mikehorn.com/expedition-item/pangaea-2/

See more @ redemptiverepair.com
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 18:41   #42

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
This "winter blues" question was inspired by the "work on a boat vs sailing her" thread. If you won a lottery what kind of a boat would you get? Or if you'd keep your current boat what extra mods or doodahs would you install?

I would probably get an early 80s IOR Swan 47 or Mariner 47 (NH). Refit inside and out - update engine, electronics, rigging, gel coat, the usual needed stuff on a 30+ year old boat. Not really into anything 90s or younger, just not my cup of tea aesthetically or otherwise. Or may be would look into a steel or aluminum 45-50 footer but really don't know anything about them as these were always out of reach for poor old me.
Not sure on the model. But it would still only be plastic boat 35-40 ft. I wouldnt want to have to rely on a cast of thousands just to go for a day sail.
Then again, it would need to house a multitude of Swedish back packers. I may have to rethink this.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 22:41   #43

build my own trimaran, with a buddy who is also into sailing, help him build his sailboat. develop & market a large wind turbine driven hydraulic system for cargo vessels. From the data I've seen there is no reason that such systems couldn't be used over 80% of the time while at sea. It would all be Open Source, of course, to ease it's adoption. Hire as many homeless peoples as possible, and fund housing and education programs as well.

AND,

Sail, Sail, Sail
Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:24   #44

Boat: Lagoon 42

I'd get a Gunboat G4 to race in St Martin and a chase boat with a crane to save me every time I flip it.

and I'd get a 70s Hans Christian just to take pictures of it, because they are so pretty.

BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:10   #45

Not much would change. I'm not "rich" but I'm a single guy who doesn't have to worry.
I still get up early and go to work even though I could retire.
I'd keep the same boat but have it professionally awlgripped.
I would donate a bunch of money to the Lakefield Animal Welfare Society. They are probably getting my money in the end anway.
Can honestly say I wouldn't waste a cent on people, happily give it all to animals.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote