Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2019, 18:06   #1

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: I want to be a liveaboard

Lots of people have an enjoyable time on boats that aren't expensive. What you'll hear from the yachties, if it isn't new and pristine, it's no good. They have no concept of ordinary people.
You'll have more expenses on an older boat. You'll need to know how to maintain it and better yet repair it. Once you learn those things, you can liveaboard much cheaper than someone that pays for everything to be done for them. If you buy a monohull, find the right beach in the right tide pattern you can careen instead of haulouts.
You need to find cheap dockage. I don't like the usual marinas with the busybodies and dock nazis. I always have bought or leased a private dock. Everywhere I've gone, I've found one. My home dock cost about 4-5000 a year, but I have an 83' boat that would cost $12,000 a year at a marina. I spend less than $3000/month counting the dock and including cruising, fuel, food. And I go to Alaska and back.

I've lived on ships and boats much of my life. Living in a house, especially in a neighborhood is like a prison sentence to me. I'll never do it again. I'll leave the boat when someone removes the wheel from my cold, dead hands.

I'm a shipwright, welder and a mechanic and do my own work. But now that I'm 70, hire young gorillas when doing heavy stuff. Is it go-rillas or ger-illas?

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 18:13   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
>>>>>>>>>>
Is it go-rillas or ger-illas?

Ask Captain Ron...

Good thing about this forum is that there aren't a whole lotta "yachties' here.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 11:36   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ask Captain Ron...[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Good thing about this forum is that there aren't a whole lotta "yachties' here.[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
A classic!

https://youtu.be/QyG0G96UB6k
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 18:37   #4

Lol Great insight!! Thanks!!
What a great life experiences you've had. I agree woth you everyday onland is like a prison sentence for me.....I can't wait for my release date.
I will need to be very careful with our boat selection as we are not mechanical.
barbienana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 19:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbienana View Post
Lol Great insight!! Thanks!!
What a great life experiences you've had. I agree woth you everyday onland is like a prison sentence for me.....I can't wait for my release date.
I will need to be very careful with our boat selection as we are not mechanical.

Ahh, you've opened a Pandora's Box with this: ...as we are not mechanical...

One of my favorite phrases on the electrical section of this forum is: "None of was born an electrician."

Others have written (and many have been PUBLISHED - like in books!!!) how boat ownership and desiring to have a wonderful way to travel, "requires" learning to be an electrician, mechanic and plumber."

Pretty applicable.

Welcome, again, to the Happy Place.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 09:19   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ahh, you've opened a Pandora's Box with this: ...as we are not mechanical...

One of my favorite phrases on the electrical section of this forum is: "None of was born an electrician."

Others have written (and many have been PUBLISHED - like in books!!!) how boat ownership and desiring to have a wonderful way to travel, "requires" learning to be an electrician, mechanic and plumber."

This is the answer!!! Stu always has great input and this is sage advice. Although you may not be mechanically inclined now, if you are willing to learn, there is much you can do yourself. Although it is very important to know your limitations, if you are careful, start with the little things, and seek help when necessary, there is little you won't be able to do given time and patience. Many of us on this forum had to start with little skills.

A friend of mine bought a boat and not only was he not mechanical, he didn't even know how to sail, motor, or leave the dock! It's only been two years and now he is doing minor mechanical and electrical work himself. When he has work done, he watches, asks questions, and learns.

There are some excellent books out there that are a great source of information, and can help to take some of the mystery away. Two that quickly come to mind are Nigel Calder's Boat Owner's Manual (The bible) and Don Casey's boat repair books. There are others.

If you are not leaving for a year or two, join a yacht club and help others as much as possible. You will learn a lot.

You can do this on your budget with proper planning, a willingness to learn and do your own work, and a can-do attitude. I wish you the best of luck.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 09:46   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

10-15K$ to buy a trawler is dodgy. Almost any trawler big enough to live on at that price would need a lot of work. An engine replacement will exceed the purchase price. Buyer beware.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 10:12   #8

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

OFC you can

Get out there and go for it , this nonsense you need so many years to do this and that , rubbish, no real DIY skills , bought my first boat 42 ft , never sailed that big before I was a dinghy instructor, replumbed her 2 eletric toilets , full instruments , full re wire , 110 litre holding tank with all plumbing work ,saftey lines. re rigged her from previous owners who were so called experinced. My Wife never sailed before but got Balls of Steel learned with me on our own and got it in three Days , (Docking in small spaces , mooring , Anchor, all sails up on a ketch no issues and that was in 35 knots )
New fans, leds , stripped all varnish off inside , re varnished, took off all treadmaster , kiwiw gripped, took hull from a brownish looking gelcoat and now I can see my face init , how dId I learn , I read books and the internet and on these forums , and amalgmated all that info until you finally see the way to go forward , and with a bit of tenacity and bloody mindfulness you can do anything , as for Budget , those that post on here and maybe its A US thing but expenses for eating out , drink etc , are high in my books I lead a simple life and good food I belive is what you can cook yourself , least you know what your eating

Im 48 and suffer from M.E/Fibro. and I did all this SO CAN YOU
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 10:38   #9

Boat: Com-Pac Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
But now that I'm 70, hire young gorillas when doing heavy stuff. Is it go-rillas or ger-illas?
Depends on whether they're male or female
NCGunDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 10:55   #10

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

The above is classic.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard