Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 18:48   #1

Miami Mooring Fields? (Crandon park-key Biscayne)

I have been told the law for dropping your own mooring gear in Florida is kinda a don't ask don't tell the type of deal; however, I am interested in a spot where the city has installed their own moorings... They are fully booked and I would rather have my own any way that pay to use the cities... My question is; does anyone have experience with keeping their boat moored with their own mooring gear at the Crandon park field or anywhere in south Florida where the city has its own moorings that they rent? I know there does not seem to be any real laws about this but I do not want to piss off the city or worse have my line cut. If anyone knows any good mooring spots to keep a boat I am all ears! I am from the north where moorings are very common and a cheap way to keep the boat in the water. I do not currently have a boat but I thought it would be a good idea to know of spots to keep her first!
Kfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 19:36   #2

Re: Miami Mooring Fields? (Crandon park-key Biscayne)

Buy a good anchor and 100' of chain and swing on your own gear maybe then you wont be hassled
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 20:12   #3

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: Miami Mooring Fields? (Crandon park-key Biscayne)

A friend had an unregulated mooring in Coconut Grove that he bought from someone for very little money. It was right next to the mooring field at Dinner Key marina. It lasted for several months until the marina started an expansion project and the squatters were asked to get lost.

The above advice about anchoring is how many people kept their derelicts at Marine Stadium.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, mooring