Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 07:37   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Green Turtle Cay shooting

http://www.tribune242.com/photos/2015/may/08/31707/
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-05-2020, 07:50   #2

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'
Re: Green Turtle Cay shooting

Sounds like a story I'd REALLY like to hear both sides of before making up my mind. Could be the dude was just a nut, or maybe he figured the cops and the "customs broker" were trying to shake him down - or something in between. Pretty poor judgement on his part shooting at them, though.
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-05-2020, 08:18   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Too much Island ‘juice’ @ Sundowners..��
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-05-2020, 08:36   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Guns and booze are never a good combo. Not excusing his actions, but it seems pretty $hitty of them to charge duty on goods brought in for hurricane relief...
Old 25-05-2020, 08:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have made this a “hot topic” to warm people that they can get into trouble.
Do NOT turn this into a pro gun or anti gun or gun rights or should I carry guns cruising etc.
That won’t be tolerated, we have had more than enough of that already.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-05-2020, 08:55   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Not excusing his actions, but it seems pretty $hitty of them to charge duty on goods brought in for hurricane relief...
We don’t know that they did, or even if they were hurricane relief goods, we don’t know anything.
I would ask though that you please refrain from using symbols to defeat the language filter, that is against the rules
Old 25-05-2020, 08:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have made this a “hot topic” to warm people that they can get into trouble.
Do NOT turn this into a pro gun or anti gun or gun rights or should I carry guns cruising etc.
That won’t be tolerated, we have had more than enough of that already.
Fair enough, though I hope that wasn't aimed at me. I grew up in South Africa, I'm not "anti-gun" by default.
Old 25-05-2020, 09:12   #8

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

It is interesting, and sad, that a lot of the comments on story (on the news site) focused on the idea that the shooter had a better outcome (e.g. the authorities showed more restraint) than if he had been a local. I don't know to what extent it is true, as suggested by one commenter, that he would likely be dead if Bahamian. In any case it appears the Bahamian authorities did a good job resolving a bad situation - no injuries and the shooter in custody (albeit again).
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-05-2020, 09:26   #9

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

I am guessing that he never declared his firearm when he arrived either. If you bother to read the article is seems that a custom broker went onboard to collect a bad debit. That’s what set him off, not charging duty on hurricane relief goods. It also involved a nighttime jail break!

When we entered at Cat Cay this winter I declared my Glocks and ammo telling the Customs officer that I need them for protection from all the heavily armed Americans there!

I thought that the Bahamas were closed to traffic entering from the US? Why was this and the other two boats that arrived from Key West allowed to enter Bahamian waters? Have the rules changed? I thought it was exit only......
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-05-2020, 10:19   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Fair enough, though I hope that wasn't aimed at me. I grew up in South Africa, I'm not "anti-gun" by default.

It wasn’t aimed at anyone, I wouldn’t post publicly anything I meant for one person, I’d send them a PM.
It’s just a few subjects that can cause issues and bring out the worst in people. For some reason anchors is one.
Old 25-05-2020, 10:21   #11

Quote:
It wasn’t aimed at anyone, I wouldn’t post publicly anything I meant for one person, I’d send them a PM.
It’s just a few subjects that can cause issues and bring out the worst in people. For some reason anchors is one.
I am avoiding the monohull/multihull thread for the same reason
Old 25-05-2020, 10:23   #12

Quote:
We don’t know that they did, or even if they were hurricane relief goods, we don’t know anything.
I would ask though that you please refrain from using symbols to defeat the language filter, that is against the rules
Ok, message received, I wasn't trying to defeat the language filter, I did not know there was one, I just thought from the posts of others that this was the acceptable way to do things on this forum.
Old 25-05-2020, 10:23   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
It is interesting, and sad, that a lot of the comments on story (on the news site) focused on the idea that the shooter had a better outcome (e.g. the authorities showed more restraint) than if he had been a local. I don't know to what extent it is true, as suggested by one commenter, that he would likely be dead if Bahamian. In any case it appears the Bahamian authorities did a good job resolving a bad situation - no injuries and the shooter in custody (albeit again).
I honestly had the same thought, that if he was a Local he would have gone to the place with bars, that your not breaking out of.
Then I thought the authorities showed remarkable restraint and surrounded him and waited until he calmed down / came to his senses.
That’s not often done anymore it seems.

However I believe that most of the Bahamas has a small town mentality and the Police see themselves as helpers and not so much as enforcers.
Old 25-05-2020, 10:27   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ok, message received, I wasn't trying to defeat the language filter, I just thought from the posts of others that this was the acceptable way to do things on this forum.
I understand and I figured that, and your not alone either so I posted that publicly so that hopefully people will read that.
I know some think we go overboard and it has been a topic of much discussion, but I at least default to thinking we lose nothing if we are more polite than average and hope that attitude will spill over into the way we treat each other.
Sorry for all the posting.
Old 25-05-2020, 10:32   #15

Quote:
I understand and I figured that, and your not alone either so I posted that publicly so that hopefully people will read that.
I know some think we go overboard and it has been a topic of much discussion, but I at least default to thinking we lose nothing if we are more polite than average and hope that attitude will spill over into the way we treat each other.
Sorry for all the posting.
No worries, I'm all for civility, and I realise that language that is acceptable in the UK is not in the US.