Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2013, 23:14   #1

Boat: Boro Temptress 10.4 metres .
Gobsmacked, he doesn't want to go now.

For the last seven years, we have been dreaming about moving onto a boat and sailing to parts unknown, preferably warmer places, ( or should I say I have been dreaming) .

I bought a small sturdy TS Hartley first to get some practice sailing on salty water instead of puddling about on a pacer on small lakes. I lovingly sanded. scraped. painted and polished and enjoyed sleeping in a rocking boat close to the water ( sometimes in water- retractable, leaky keel;-) .

My husband found it too uncomfortable, So then we bought a 34 foot steel Boro Temptress, solid girl that needed lots of TLC. At first I worried about a project boat, ( I wanted to go right then and there. I'm not usually impatient , just felt it was time to act on gut feeling for a change) but the project boat was a great teacher about boat systems, the challenge of rust, how to sail a minimalist boat and a wee bit about diesel engines. We put a pilot house on so it has enough headroom at least in one spot.

Welding too is a useful skill, but my it's murder on fingernails. She still needs work, but not that much. I spend a lot of time learning what I can about navigation, weather and a myriad of other boaty bits and pieces. I hate scraping barnacles and antifouling her, but I do like to see her when her bottom is clean... many have said on this forum before , nothing teaches you quicker than experience on the water. I need lots more practical experience before I could even begin to call myself even a newbie sailor.

My dream of living aboard is about living more simply and meeting people when I feel like it and sailing off to somewhere secluded when I don't, while collecting stories to keep me company in my dotage. A month ago, he tells me, " I really don't want to go off shore sailing, but I am happy to mess about in boats, let's buy another type of boat, a fishing boat and do that one up."

Then he bought a bus. ( safer). I am getting used to him being the 'sensible ' one . Now I am thinking...do I try to sign on as crew somewhere to learn more,or modify my boat so I can sail her short handed, to at least get up the East coast of Oz to some place warmer, just to check if my ideas are a romance? Or be happy that a bus can still drive along coastal shores, to warmer places and doesn't have a stern gland?

Thanks for letting me muse out loud.