Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2019, 12:59   #151

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Global catastrophe / SHTF "survivable locations"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
At some point there might be enough cruisers to make a “community” of our own. It’s one thing to land as a single few and expect to be accepted. But PERHAPS if a group made landfall and worked cooperatively together and with the local community to make for a better arrangement for all.

WaterWorld (movie)?

You need a leader. A good one. Those are in short supply.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 12:59   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
This is all very true but have you considered why we would want you to join us? I am sure there will be many refugees fleeing the chaos and if they have valuable skills or resources to add to the community they could be welcome if there is room. If they are simply dead weight expecting a free lunch why should we take them. Can you fish, hunt, farm, build a cabin, have medical skills or something else valuable? If not perhaps you should thing about changing yourself not wondering about where to go. If enough people make changes, downsize, live more sustainable lives etc the problem would never arise so an even better solution is to work to implement climate targets, eliminate industrial food production and change the 'more is better' over-consumption attitude of the most industrialized countries to avoid a crisis. It is not yet too late but getting close, this decade being the critical one.
Excellent post excellent point.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 13:29   #153

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
This is all very true but have you considered why we would want you to join us? I am sure there will be many refugees fleeing the chaos and if they have valuable skills or resources to add to the community they could be welcome if there is room. If they are simply dead weight expecting a free lunch why should we take them. Can you fish, hunt, farm, build a cabin, have medical skills or something else valuable? If not perhaps you should thing about changing yourself not wondering about where to go. If enough people make changes, downsize, live more sustainable lives etc the problem would never arise so an even better solution is to work to implement climate targets, eliminate industrial food production and change the 'more is better' over-consumption attitude of the most industrialized countries to avoid a crisis. It is not yet too late but getting close, this decade being the critical one.
Blaspheme.

And I completely agree.
Old 28-10-2019, 13:33   #154

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Certainly, making oneself valuable is important. Your comment is a very good one, with one exception. This comment (If enough people make changes, downsize, live more sustainable lives etc the problem would never arise...) is not realistic in relation to this thread. The planet's climate has been changing for eons, and we have adapted.

Making one's lifestyle more sustainable, while a good thing, will not prevent disasters of a sudden nature that require one to move. Large or super volcanoes, tsunamis, major earthquakes, asteroid/comet strikes, epidemics/pandemics, the zombie apocalypse, and many other disasters have nothing to do with a sustainable lifestyle. They can and do occur suddenly and without warning.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 13:39   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
...Making one's lifestyle more sustainable, while a good thing, will not prevent disasters of a sudden nature that require one to move. Large or super volcanoes, tsunamis, major earthquakes, asteroid/comet strikes, epidemics/pandemics, the zombie apocalypse, and many other disasters have nothing to do with a sustainable lifestyle. They can and do occur suddenly and without warning.
All true, but there are some SHTF scenarios which we do have hand in. These are some of the ones where Roland’s thoughtful suggestion makes sense.
Old 28-10-2019, 13:47   #156

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I don't think that a sailboat, in and of itself, gives you any specific edge in a global extinction level event. The forces against you in such an event will be very dramatic and will overwhelm normal preparedness scenarios to where chance will play more into the fact if you survive or not.

For smaller regional events (think, big earthquake, power loss on the eastern seaboard, financial collapse in a country) they do offer some advantages over being locked into a location, especially a city.

1) The ability to move with supplies, tools and people to a different region.

2) The ability to pre-pay certain expendables (sails will wear out but by buying them prior to the event you have a period of time until they are worn out where you have mobility as an example. Solar, generators, hardware, spare parts all fall into this category).

3) Some renewable energy (solar, wind) and supplies (watermaker, ability to fish).

4) Way cooler than dying in an apartment in the middle of an urban warzone.

All the things that make it able for you to stay out at an isolated island in the Bahamas or Pacific for a few months may also allow you to weather a period of time away from civilization to see if/how it recovers.
Old 28-10-2019, 16:05   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Making one's lifestyle more sustainable, while a good thing, will not prevent disasters of a sudden nature that require one to move. Large or super volcanoes, tsunamis, major earthquakes, asteroid/comet strikes, epidemics/pandemics, the zombie apocalypse, and many other disasters have nothing to do with a sustainable lifestyle. They can and do occur suddenly and without warning.
... and the majority of the genuinely probable events from your list above will either be:
  • localized, meaning it would be possible to evacuate to safety and help would come from the unaffected areas -or-
  • global, meaning that there really wouldn't be anywhere to run to
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 16:27   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
... and the majority of the genuinely probable events from your list above will either be:
  • localized, meaning it would be possible to evacuate to safety and help would come from the unaffected areas -or-
  • global, meaning that there really wouldn't be anywhere to run to
actually more likely regional and or hemispheric in nature . To have a real serious long term effect.
Old 28-10-2019, 16:38   #159

Boat: Hunter 35.5

Hard to say... someplace will always have “more” than others. Might take a while to play out so I might go hang... I am not telling. Somewhere cold with lots of fish.
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 17:08   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Sandy was pretty weak. My daughter went through Katrina, and then moved to New Jersey, and went through Sandy. We were without power for six months in Katrina, and didn't get out of a Fema trailer for eleven months.

In Sandy, my daughter lost power for two days, and cable TV for four, and had people up there asking her if going through Sandy was just like going through Katrina!

You tell me what New York city would be like for six months without power.
Most of the "really bad things" related to breakdown of society style stuff happened immediately during and after Katrina. Didn't happen that way in NYC. I was involved in the Coast Guard response to both, well aware of the differences. If you were still there 6 months later it was because you had nowhere else to go or chose to stay, we were offering free rides out on helicopters on day 1 as long as you were willing to wait on your roof
Bottom line is that you can't extrapolate the human response to a disaster before hand based on past disasters except to plan for the lowest common denominator, which we did a lot of in the Coast Guard. Of course we kind of had the opposite mentality of this thread, we were running to while you all are running away!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 17:26   #161

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Pretty safe bet is the less inhabited Pacific islands. Where I’d rather be anyway.

Instead I’m in rural NY. Pandemic aside, we could survive, though most wont. People ask “do you keep a supply of rice? Canned goods?”

Naw, the long pig would be coming to me.

There’s a book “The Day After”’which follows an EMP. It’s rather straight forward. In six months all the game is gone, even the squirrels. Farms can’t operate without seed and equipment. Canned goods disappear fast, as do farm animals.

In NE USA even without the hordes it is very difficult to survive winter. Scrounging food is reasonable through the first major snowfall usually in December. Still, fishing is possible year round- for a small population. January through the Sucker run in March would be the real killer.

So we’d be stuck eating the walking dead. Better than nothing.

The Pacific. Plenty of food, no freezing to death. I suppose some might argue it would be good with the Inuit, but today and in a global catastrophe I’d rather be hanging on the beach.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 17:37   #162
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Pretty safe bet is the less inhabited Pacific islands. Where I’d rather be anyway.

Instead I’m in rural NY. Pandemic aside, we could survive, though most wont. People ask “do you keep a supply of rice? Canned goods?”

Naw, the long pig would be coming to me.

There is a reason those Pacific islands are less inhabited - they are already at their carrying capacity! And you will be the long pig coming to them - they won't be smiles of welcome
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 20:39   #163

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

This is an old antiwar submarine SHTF movie.
I remember seeing "On The Beach" in a theater when I was a teenager.
Now you can see the whole thing on youtube.
I highly recommend it.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 03:28   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I highly recommend it.
Thanks. Read the book decades ago. Didn’t realize they’d made it into a movie. Fun.

… well, maybe not “fun” given the subject and story .
Old 29-10-2019, 06:13   #165
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I highly recommend it.

was required reading in junior high back then . Think about where I am my area is a prime nuke target . Heck I live across the inlet from a navy base.