Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2020, 06:27   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Foot pedal operation for sinks.

These sort of things were very popular in UK caravans for many years. You press down on them with your foot and the pump pops up which is then pumped. To close, press down and turn a fraction. Removed the trip hazard, but you need some space under the floor to fit.

https://www.whalepumps.com/rv/produc...-foot-operated
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 09:46   #32

Boat: Nauticat38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We have a foot pump for our remote drinking water tank and it works fine.

For the galley sink (on main pressurized water system), we use one of these types of water saver devices. Super easy to install and does help save water, while still using the pressure pump.
That's actually a really cool idea, then basically function similarly to foot pedal!
SailingAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 06:31   #33

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
I think you'll find them quite impractical while in a seaway.

I assume you want them to keep your hands free to wash. The problem is you can't operate a foot valve while the boat is rolling because it means standing on one foot, which means your hands aren't free anymore. Heck, if it is really rough, you'll need two feet AND a hand to hold on. Any water savings you imagine will go out the window because you'll need to stomp on the foot valve to keep your balance, no finesse will be possible.
Our boat is quite old-school. She's been across the Atlantic 12 times. She ONLY has foot pumps in the galley and head. We've never has a problem pumping water. It's just a non-problem, IMHO.

-- John
Old 27-04-2020, 06:57   #34

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
Our boat is quite old-school. She's been across the Atlantic 12 times. She ONLY has foot pumps in the galley and head. We've never has a problem pumping water. It's just a non-problem, IMHO.

-- John
I agree. Less of a problem using the foot pumps at sea for me. This requires egonomics though - able to wedge the right hip and knee into the bench unit corner and use the toe of left foot to operate the pumps about half a meter away from the corner, to deliver exactly the right amount of water at the right speed.

If the layout (ergonimics) is not right it could be difficult at sea. But of course it will be done properly, eh?
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 07:00   #35

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
I agree. Less of a problem using the foot pumps at sea for me.
It could just be that EVERYTHING is difficult in a seaway, so this little problem just seems insignificant

-- John
Old 27-04-2020, 07:34   #36

Boat: Tayana 37

We have pressurized freshwater system, and Whale freshwater foot pumps in the galley and head was hat pull from the tanks. We also have a second Whale foot pump in the galley that pulls from a through-hull for salt rinse.

1977 Tayana 37 #91 S/V Ramble On

www.svrambleon.com
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:01   #37

Boat: Leopard 45

We had a foot pump for salt water rinsing in the galley on an old Australian made Carbineer. It was fitted when we bought it and frankly it was the best thing since sliced bread! From recollection it was slightly recessed but I don’t recall my wife ever saying she had a problem with it! 😂😂 seriously though no issues at all. I tried to have one fitted on a new boat that we bought in 2018 but couldn’t find a unit as good as the one we had on the previous boat and ended up with a hand pump instead. Not as good because it takes one hand to pump the water up. That only leaves my wife with one hand which means I need to lend a hand!! 😂😂
nmit5903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:08   #38

Boat: Corsair F-31-UC

On our old boat we had hand pumps (not pressurized).

I installed small Whale inline electric pumps that still allowed the hand pumps to work by itself, but would also push water when the pump was on.

I install knee operated switches below the sinks and it worked out perfectly.

Ken
===
Trimaran Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:18   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...I've had both.
...my only comment is when it's time for some maintenance....the little seals, etc, that wear out and start to leak. a hand pump will leak on the counter, easy to wipe up, the foot pump will leak on the cabin sole, not so easy to clean up.
..additionally....
...the hand pump is infinitely easier to repair being next to the sink.....the foot pump requires acrobatic maneuvers on the cabin sole..the hand pump can be repaired while holding a beer in one hand....the foot pump not so much...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:19   #40

Boat: Slickcraft 265

I had a foot pump on my Mark 25 and I liked it very much. Having two hands available works well.
shemandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:28   #41

Boat: Lock Crowther 37' Catamaran - ORYOKI

Foot pumps are the way to go. Low-to- no maintenance and water delivery is excellent.
I ripped out the water wasting pressure system on my current boat.

My last cruiser was foot pumps only and we cruised over ten years full time with no issues with them. Likewise the current boat. IMHO pressure water is a wasteful, inefficient, expensive and clumsy way to deliver water.

Three pumps delivers 8 oz, 12 delivers a quart. Just need a bit to wet your tooth brush? Got it!. Both hand free. Love 'em. And after using them i found that home pressure delivery systems are awkward and wasteful to use.
Old 27-04-2020, 08:41   #42

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post
Hi All,

We are well into our complete refit, and we are strongly considering foot pedals for the sinks in the heads and kitchen as the sole means of water flow.

Would love to hear your thoughts about the practical pros and cons.

(These wouldn't be foot pumps; they would be valves for the pressurized fresh water system)
Well, a manual foot pump can help conserve a lot of water, but a foot operated pressure water faucet achieves one same aspect as a a whale foot pump, they both allow free use of one’s hands.

We use whale foot pumps on our boat, for a couple reasons, lower overall initial cost, and lower future maintenance costs. We removed the pressure water system upon purchase of our current boat, waste not want not as is said.

As you already know there are endless choices when refitting your boat. I would think that foot operated faucets would be the way to go, but not a pressure system, that’s just me... If you are keeping your boat at a slip, water access is no issue, but if you go cruising water can be a limited resource. Well that’s all I got for you ��

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 09:07   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

If you are thinking of installing or you have already installed the Whale foot pumps, have a look at this thread:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ps-212499.html
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 09:27   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post
Hi All,

We are well into our complete refit, and we are strongly considering foot pedals for the sinks in the heads and kitchen as the sole means of water flow.

Would love to hear your thoughts about the practical pros and cons.

(These wouldn't be foot pumps; they would be valves for the pressurized fresh water system)
Yes, even if IT was not pressurised
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 10:38   #45

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

We started out with pressurized water and one handpump in the galley. Later, we added a foot pump in the Galley and in the head. We kept the handpump in the galley and plumbed in a foot pump before it. Now, we can use either. We have been using it this way for many years now. As has been pointed out, the foot pump is sometimes hard to use in a seaway so the combination of pressurized and manual pumps has worked good. We have had failures with the foot pumps where they would start leaking. We would recommend carrying a new replacement as a backup. If attempting to bypass a leaking manual pump you will need to plug the hose. We tried connecting the intake and output hoses together and the pressurized side began sucking air through the jury-rigged system causing problems. We like our present setup and recommend it for others.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote