Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2020, 10:56   #46

Re: Foot pedal operation for sinks.

I liked foot pumps, but what are your plans? If intending to swim off the boat, or go snorkeling etc, a stern or cockpit shower is one of the great things to have. You want an electric pump for that. After 1.5 hours of snorkeling you are salty and cold and that fresh rinse is great. Or a quick wash up there. Mine was right off the hot water tank which, in addition, was very nice, even if only luke warm after many hours.
So often you want an electric pump for some things anyway.

The other thing I find very handy is a good mixing faucet in the galley in lieu of two separate hot and cold valves. You can save a lot of water with the mixing faucet. Easy to shut off and on and save your mix doing dishes etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 16:01   #47

My experience with manual foot pumps is that they are prone to failure; an exception might be when they are used by few crew.
However, I have had excellent service supplying water to sinks using a momentary switch connected to a small electric pressure pump to sinks. Plumb the water supply line to the electric pump at a convenient location, and extend a supply line from the pump to the sink fixture.; set a push button switch at knee height at the sink/fixture, and engage the pump with your knee as needed for water flow. Hands remain free, water use is controlled, all components are easy to access, and you can remain braced effectively if in a seaway.
ReynoldsWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 17:54   #48

Boat: None currently … previously a Beneteau Oceanis 350. Before that … a Cavalier 30

I've always had foot pumps for the galley … but a pressure system for the heads' handbasins and, of course, the shower and hot water system. I can't imagine the contortions of trying to operate a foot switch while showering in a seaway.

I find the concept of foot switches rather strange as the pressure systems I've had have all worked automatically when a faucet opened. In other words … the water was always under pressure and the pump actuates when an open faucet drops the pressure below a threshold. If you are worried about possible leaks and wastage … the pump is a single switch. This also has the benefit of the least amount of wiring.

In regard to fresh water consumption … I've always used sea water for most things, other than food prep, drinking and final rinse off of anything destined for mouths. A good salt water soap and shampoo does a fine job for salt water showering. A final rinse off under the fresh water shower stops the salty feeling.

Happy sailing.
TonyDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 18:26   #49

Boat: Yankee 30'

I love my knee switch operating a solenoid valve (I have a foot pump back up, too) It saves water - when rinsing a dish or hands. I have hot and cold water valves always set for not too hot. A small block of teak with a momentary switch behind it. Had it for years.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote