Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 01:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
First Winter Newbie Question

So we just finished our first year cruising and arrived in our winter home in southern Sicily. It is packed full of cruisers who are very busy everyday doing all kinds of things from taking down sails, cleaning lines, etc.

As this is my first boat I've owned and my first winter I'm sort of trying to figure out everything that should be done at the end of the season. I'm asking around the docks some, but wanted to see if anyone had a checklist or something that would help me get started.

We're going to be living onboard except for a month or two over the holidays when we'll be visiting family. I'm going to go through all my manuals and check for annual maintenance recommendations, etc. I also will be getting the boat hauled and painted, but from what I see around me there are all kinds of things that are good to do at the end of a season.

Anyone have a list or something they can share?

Thanks,
Zoid
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40   #2

Re: First Winter Newbie Question

Basically after a summer of full time use its time to check and maintain everything - but as starting point I'd drop sails and clean and store them. Change the halyards and sheets end for end and replace any that are chaffed or worn. Clean and service the roller furling, lubricate sail slides and winches, tracks etc
Give the engine a service and if its not going to be used follow the manufacturers ideas for winterising.
Scrub and clean everything that may have got salt in over the summer (including dingy and outboard)
Check through hulls for leaks, check fuses and wiring for chaff and any signs of overheating, clean out and sterilise your water tanks (one at a time if you have two - just drain, refill with water and some baby bottle steriliser is fine, then wash out a couple of times after 24 hours and re-use)
That should keep you busy for a while and ensure that everything is well looked after
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:28   #3

Boat: Able 50

Put beer in fridge.

You have to get all the salt out of the rigging. All blocks with ball bearings should be hosed. Check all snap shackles and piston hanks for salt. soak any clogged ones in vinegar then clean with a toothbrush. All the pistons should move freely. Remove winch covers and check for salt in the grease. Some might need cleaning and re-greasing.

Empty and clean all the lockers one by one including the lazarette and anchor locker. Hose and dry the chain and rode and everything in the lazarette. I reckon the best thing for mould is vinegar but Clorox also works. Lift every floor board and hose the bilge especially to get dirt out of the pipes and wires. Some scrubbing might be needed. Clean all the vinyl cushions and finish with something like Armorall. Dry clean all the wool cushion covers. Clean all timber surfaces in the cabin and finish with a furniture polish like Pledge. Clean all water strainers.

Open up wherever you store the plumbing parts and make an inventory of what's inside. Compare with a list of your pumps and order valve kits as necessary to cover every pump on the boat including the head. Check that you have a bag of spare oil and diesel filters and belts.

Finish work. Drink beer.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:48   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

Everyone is giving you some great advice.

Your needs are going to be a little different because you are still living on the boat for most of the winter. However, there is a great winterizing checklist in the appendix to Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. I followed it, along with giving everything a good cleaning and spraying with tea tree oil to prevent mold when I put my boat away a few weeks back.
Helbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:08   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380

Well there goes my leisurely winter months

This is great input. I'm creating a list right now based on this feedback and what I'm finding online as well. Beer is already in the fridge so I'm ahead on that one.

Thanks everyone
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote