Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2020, 19:55   #16

Re: finding a life partner.

In the pre-internet era, I met my life partner in the usual way - when we just hit them with clubs and dragged them back to the cave. No, wait - that was dating in high school.

I met my wife of 30 years by being part of a very diverse group sharing a common interest. In our case it was an amateur drama group; I was doing technical stuff and my wife was acting and doing stage management. Oh, the parties...

The principle still applies, I think. Join groups that do things that you are interested in. It vastly increases the odds of meeting people who share at least one of your interests. Example - join a sailing or yacht club. Avoid the posh clubs; you want a self-help, plucky sort of club where the boats and people don't put on airs, and there are frequent work parties as well as social outings.

Nicest thing about joining a group that shares your interests is that even if you aren't yet meeting "the one", you're still going to have a great time and make new friends.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 20:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion MK II

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Or come to Australia with four rolls of toilet paper and a box of P2 face masks. You’ll be shacked up in minutes.
Haha the Aussie girls are cheap dates, in the states it takes a case of TP!
Americanrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 21:05   #18

Thanks everyone for all the good advise. I met my Wife ,a junior in high school. She was a carhop. I was 1 week older the her.
Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 21:44   #19

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knots View Post
Thanks for the help . I didn't realize the photo was still there I lost Paula last April. Bless her heart. One must live life , not just watch it go by.
Hi, first off sorry to hear of your loss and I wish you all the best and can fully understand the live life sentiment and hope you find exactly what you are looking for.
I have been there done that and failed miserably at finding a new to me partner so can empathise with you situation, good luck.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:55   #20

Choose carefully.... After one great marriage, I suspect that your odds of making the second a great one are far higher than most people. You have all the right attitudes and habits for getting along deeply ingrained. Your chances of finding the right woman are far higher than mine for example, having no such history. Two out of two would be great, an inspiring story to the rest of us. It might even be what it takes to push nonbelievers like myself to take a chance again some day.....
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:34   #21

Boat: Island Packet 40

Went through this years ago when I decided to live aboard my boat and my wife decided she hated boats.

Being of an analytic turn of mind I pondered on the question for a while and after a cost/benefit analysis decided it came down to two fundamentals: the company of another sentient creature and sex. Consequently it was a matter of a human companion or a cat and masturbation. Unfortunately I'm allergic to cats.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 15:21   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
In the pre-internet era, I met my life partner in the usual way - when we just hit them with clubs and dragged them back to the cave. No, wait - that was dating in high school.

I met my wife of 30 years by being part of a very diverse group sharing a common interest. In our case it was an amateur drama group; I was doing technical stuff and my wife was acting and doing stage management. Oh, the parties...

The principle still applies, I think. Join groups that do things that you are interested in. It vastly increases the odds of meeting people who share at least one of your interests. Example - join a sailing or yacht club. Avoid the posh clubs; you want a self-help, plucky sort of club where the boats and people don't put on airs, and there are frequent work parties as well as social outings.

Nicest thing about joining a group that shares your interests is that even if you aren't yet meeting "the one", you're still going to have a great time and make new friends.
This is what I did when I was single after a score of years of marriage. It is a win/win plan. It was a woman friend of mine who introduced me to sailing.

We have a friend here in Oz, who did peruse dating sites. He looked only for women who picked "sailing" for their hobby. He chose one of those, and so far, they seem quite content with each other. It's only been about 10 yrs. that we've known them.

Ann
Old 07-03-2020, 15:49   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@ Knots:

Here is a link to SSSSM: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...16#post3090016

"Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates- deux" in the Off Topic Forums (click on the forums button, then select from menu).
Old 07-03-2020, 16:44   #24

Boat: Volkscruiser

Thanks for the laugh Knots. It took me a couple of seconds to realise what a carhop was. I thought you were alluding to meeting your wife in a Hugh Grant type situation. I don’t think we have ever had carhops in Australia?
Woman and boats are a funny thing, I struck gold with my wife 25 years ago. We met in a bar and she mentioned sailing on a square rigger the high school sailing team and I could not get a ring on her finger quick enough.
Raymond R you have answered my question why so many single men live on boats with dogs!
Good luck with your search.
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:54   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3090016

knots follow linky and say hay to the folks .....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 06:45   #26

Boat: Nordship 38
Send a message via ICQ to jbrasseul

https://www.lovesail.com/
jbrasseul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 09:12   #27

Boat: Hunter 430
Send a message via Skype™ to Briggers

Schedule a few short trips, just one or two days, put an add in a few of the sailing mags’ for crew - specify gender if you are fussy about such things 😉 then meet up and have a chat. If they float your boat - so as to speak, invite them on the trip.
You’ll soon find out if you can put up with them for any longer than a day or two..
Old 20-03-2020, 11:42   #28

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Don't be too sure you can't convert a land-lubber woman who loves you into a good crew who loves the sailing life. I have done this twice. My late wife knew nothing about sailing but then we spent many happy years doing weekend cruising, lots of racing on bay and ocean, and a cruise to Mexico and back. Couple years after my late wife passed, I met another great lady in an online dating site who didn't know a thing about sailing. With a lot of patience, and being able to single-hand the boat myself as necessary, we have had a wonderful cruising experience. Patience.

One thing I have to say, is that you must approach the new relationship with a fresh and open mind - not with any expectations that any of it will be a replication of your previous relationship. That was the hardest part for me. And I am constantly still having to work on this although after 7 years it is getting a bit easier.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 11:56   #29

Boat: Bavaria 46 Cruiser

Have a look on Lovesail.com people of similar interest looking for friendship or more
Medea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 16:57   #30

I changed the picture . can you delete your response?
Knots is offline   Reply With Quote