Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 01:10   #46
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: FEMALES: Live Aboard Essentials Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Liunatic and SimplerLife, Chuck's advice is spot on LOL, as was Saucy's in the previous post.

The critical stuff is truly tools and boats parts. Unless you are extremely generously endowed (not a problem here LOL) which bra (if any) you put on pales into insignificance when systems break down and you are struggling to repair them or waiting for parts to arrive.

Good luck with your planning and preparations .
See, I need to make sure mine are well tucked away before the tools and boat parts come out. That's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplerLife View Post
Yes, I don't plan to live in a swimsuit everyday purely out of fear of that mcuh skin exposure. CAn you help me udnerstand what a "mix vest tops with built in support" is...like a tank top with a built in bra? I need a bit more suppor than that so I guess cotton bra is the way to go. Love this info...thank you!
I'm trying to attach a picture... but internet very slow. I have a picture set as my avatar on SA, if anyone could be so kind as to copy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Any pics?
As above... I need someone to do the honours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Well it's one thing to share your experiences as I did earlier and quite another to call someone else's stupid. I do wear a bikini every day and find them very comfortable.

If moisture is an issue, I would never sit around in a wet swimsuit & always change after swimming to a dry one.!
Quite right, and I aplogise, I didn't think that phrase out well. What I really meant was, "it would be stupid to stay in a wet costume in warm weather and let that horrible itchy thrush thrive". My attempt at being 'discreet' clearly backfired! Sorry to have caused offense!

Admittedly, I am far too lazy to change after every dip (I get wet a LOT!), so simply cast off the costume I was wearing and let both it and myself dry naturally. It's different, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
SimplerLife:

My wife has a "little black dress" for those special evenings. Sexy. It rolls up the size of a cricket ball for storage but when she just shakes it out it looks like new. (I have no idea how that is possible.)
Trust me, it's possible. And you guys are supposed to have better spacial awareness than us girls?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:01   #47
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Couldn't find the original photo I wanted to share, but then realised I'm wearing a vest top right now, so just took a photo as best I could with my short arms. This is a really old top, I do have nicer, newer tops which aren't so wrinkly and which don't need knots in the straps!!!

Basically, it's a vest, but with a cotton bra/boob tube type lining. It doesn't give much support, but it does stop them swinging into boat parts, and it does stop the under boob sweat from dribbling down my tummy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vest Top.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	70045  
Old 08-11-2013, 02:41   #48

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Saucy! Holly Molly...TMI! ...it takes two hands to handle a whopper...

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:11   #49

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Yup, mustard in a tube. The German stuff--best German style mustard we've ever encountered. Tubes store well too, but don't stand up well in the fridge alongside the bottles of French & Cajun mustards.

We haven't had to buy much for galley supplies for a very long time; I wouldn't have thought of mail-order. We do bring electronic boat bits from Canada--last year we brought over a lot of new Raymarine instruments. Checking prices indicated we were saving about 40% by buying in Canada & bringing over in suitcases. Even when prices are comparable the high VAT really kicks up prices in Spain.

Yes, we have some favourites on both sides of the ocean, and some go one way & some another.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

saucy i need the kind with cotton.... cannot find those anywhere..i have to settle for the fake stretchy stuff and it is miserable in heat. especially any kind of sweaty heat.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:57   #51
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I actually found some on a visa run to Dubai, in a middle of the road clothes mall in a shop called Woolworth's! They had the perfect fit, i bright colours, so I bought halfa dozen. A trait of the long term expat who's had regular access to western holidays - stocking up on goodies like that when I see them!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

AAAARRRGGGHHHHH
i dont expect to get there anytime soon......mebbe someone in mexico stashed some somewhere.... am still looking..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:36   #53

Tahnks, SVMariane...we have no issues purging our 'stuff' acutally really been engjoying the process of doing without things...not to mention making money off the things we sell

Question about checking in with the port captain/immigration...read many books and talked to many people and this is the first I heard that you have to be dressed up/modest in some fashion? Is this a courtesy thing? Not looking to pi$$ anyone off at port so sounds like a good thing to understand LOL To be clear I was aware we had to check in....just never heard mention of a "dress code" so to speak.
SimplerLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:51   #54

Boat: Dolphin 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Quite right, and I aplogise, I didn't think that phrase out well. What I really meant was, "it would be stupid to stay in a wet costume in warm weather and let that horrible itchy thrush thrive". My attempt at being 'discreet' clearly backfired! Sorry to have caused offense!

Admittedly, I am far too lazy to change after every dip (I get wet a LOT!), so simply cast off the costume I was wearing and let both it and myself dry naturally. It's different, that's all.
Got ya - assumed that is what you were getting at & now it's crystal clear - haha. Did I mention that I probably have ~15 swimsuits or more? I can guarantee I stow away more of these than shoes.

Love those cotton camisole tops too!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:59   #55

Boat: Dolphin 460

Quote:

Question about checking in with the port captain/immigration...read many books and talked to many people and this is the first I heard that you have to be dressed up/modest in some fashion? Is this a courtesy thing? Not looking to pi$$ anyone off at port so sounds like a good thing to understand LOL To be clear I was aware we had to check in....just never heard mention of a "dress code" so to speak.
Yes, definitely a courtesy to dress and act "respectfully" for Customs & Immigration.

That may vary region by region, but a collared shirt for men and ~ no shorts for women around the Carib... or use your best judgement. I seem to recall in Pacific islands ladies tank tops with bare shoulders were also uncommon.

I couldn't believe one Carib island when I saw a male in t-shirt & speedo going into Customs - talk about bad form in more ways than one.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:07   #56

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Re: Little Black Dress:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Trust me, it's possible. And you guys are supposed to have better spacial awareness than us girls?
Fully understand how it can be crumpled and stowed in a tiny ball! Cannot understand how - when she shakes it out - it looks unwrinkled and neat/tidy. Must be some "miracle material" for women's attire, 'cause I don't recall that option for my dress-shirts nor sport jackets (back in the days when such were required at the job.) Doesn't matter though - She looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplerLife
Nope - no dress code. It's a matter of showing respect and being courteous when visiting authorities. Sort of the "dress for success" approach; look like, well, a bum with T-shirt and shorts and shower shoes, get treated accordingly. Might notice that shorts for men are unusual outside the USA and maybe Canada - especially with officials - and that "local" women just plain don't wear shorts. Culture thing, okay? Sure, men/women cruisers can and do wear shorts - just not the best idea when dealing with authorities. IMHO and other folk may disagree.

Would somebody please help me out here to better explain this concept?

James
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:49   #57
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47
First.. I'm a man.. but I'm transcribing for my partner whoes English is sometimes 'creative'.
The female population of the boat varies between 1 and 4. They are all different shapes and sizes so this is the collective wisdom.
The boat is our home. But we are mostly docked in the Seattle. But we have 4000nm+ so far this year.

Sanitary products.. double the stock you would keep on land. They are available.. but that allows you shopping leanancy.

Underwear.. mostly sports type underwear. However one or 2 dressup sets. One of our daughter's isn't comfortable without support.. that's just how it is.

Kitchen.. whatever works for you. Our best resent find is flattanable measuring cups.

Personal space is a big thing. Learn to respect it and require that it is respected.
(yes the workshop is not a store all)

Grudgingly spares and tools are more important than almost everything else.
They have life or death consequences.
Which t-shirt... Not really an issue.

PFD and harness. Get a comfortable one for you. After 10days in an lively crossing when you have been rubbed raw by the harness you will learn the wisdom of this.
( I did tell her it needed to fit better)

Shoes.. take up a space.
When we made a shoe storage facility life was so much better.
(She likes her shoes.. I think she has about 20 pairs on board but I don't count )

Potable water... We carry 150gallons. I thought he was silly as he topped if off all the time. However we ran out on one trip in Desolation sound... 6 showers a day gets through the water. Now I know where the next fill is and we budget accordingly.

(Don't be affraid to remoddel to your needs.)

Greatest things on the boat - washing machine, standing showers.

Mub
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:56   #58
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post

Yes, definitely a courtesy to dress and act "respectfully" for Customs & Immigration.

That may vary region by region, but a collared shirt for men and ~ no shorts for women around the Carib... or use your best judgement. I seem to recall in Pacific islands ladies tank tops with bare shoulders were also uncommon.

I couldn't believe one Carib island when I saw a male in t-shirt & speedo going into Customs - talk about bad form in more ways than one.
In the med , try and avoid docking and checking in in the nude. Outside that anything goes. Well in France nude is ok , just bring your towel !!!

Dave
Old 08-11-2013, 11:25   #59

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Hello! Boyfriend and I are moving from Ohio onto our sailboat (older 38&rsquo; Hughes with not many amenities or space) currently moored in St. John, USVI. We plan to spend the first year or so cruising the Caribbean area and the following year plan to cross the Panama Canal and head to the South Pacific. We have spent the last year getting the boat prepped with all the gadgets and gizmos we need to be able to sail but now I am starting to think about the more stereotypical things us ladies usually think of as far as acutally LIVING aboard J I have searched threads and end up spinning so any direct links to blogs or threads or a direct answer would be appreciated beyond words!!! Looking for help understanding the following&hellip; 1. What clothing essentials do we need to pack? We have minimal space obviously so packing as light as we can but still cover our basics&hellip;just can&rsquo;t find any good info on what liveabaord clothing &lsquo;basics&rsquo; are. 2. Along the lines of clothing &ndash; girly question &ndash; what fabrics do you tend toward or stay away from like the plague? J Particularly bras and such..do you wear them? use swimsuit usually? sport bra perhaps? 3. Kitchenware &ndash; We got a lot of hand me downs from our previous boat owner and that is what we have been using when we visit but it is all junk and rusted. Cookware, utensils, plates, cups and gear that will hold up, won&rsquo;t rust, etc.&hellip;recommendations? 4. Personal Hygiene items &ndash; seems like for the first year we will have access to various stores and such for toiletry needs and such that arise but likely at a high price. Realistically, should we stock up on deodorant, razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes, tampons, etc. in Ohio and bring with us? If so, any gauge on how much to bring...3 mos, 6 mos, etc.? Sorry if these questions seem silly&hellip;we have really only met other boaters that stay in the marinas and moorings and don&rsquo;t move much so we haven&rsquo;t gotten straight answers as for them it is pretty much like living in an apartment on water. We would appreciate any help you are willing to share. Definitely willing to do reading and such on my own if you have helpful links and blogs you can offer. Thank you so so much in advance!
1 Clothing essentials for me would be sundresses, a generic cap sleeve (short sleeve) cotton petticoat type thing for areas where bare shoulders are a no go. Some shorts but more capris/pants in light colors in cotton or linen with SPF protection. You will find skin cancer a common topic.

2 fabrics I choose are cotton and linen. The synthetic dry quick stuff is also good but I don't own much of it at present. One the bra front there isn't really a single good choice. Cotton sports bras are ok, spandex type stuff is miserable. I would suggest finding a comfortable bra for you that breathes and take several then take a few nicer (pretty) for the dressier times. I can't say I understand why it's fashionable to have bra straps showing but some like it...personal preference. Personal preference on going without. I would think it's easier for women with smaller chests.

3 on the cookware front this is a personal preference on type and Teflon or not. I'm not a fan of Teflon or aluminum so I have this set:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...236&id=2070303 where some pieces were left at home. I also have a stainless pressure cooker chosen for the handle style making it easier to store: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...J1W20V0CFDWH2J

A food saver is on my list of wants.

4.on the personal hygiene front again it depends on how attached you are to a brand. I can't use aluminum based anti perspirant which crosses off 99% of my options so I carry a lot of my product of choice. You could follow a 'no poo' method for hair..or just buy what is available. I'm trying to limit my exposure to things I can't pronounce so I tend to stock up. Feel free to PM if you'd like me to explain this a little better. I'm just not sure how much to post as it seems a bit off topic.

Zip locks and vacuum bags are indeed a boaters good friend.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:39   #60

Boat: Catalina 36

For cookware, cooking, cleaning, etc. I would underscore that it is absolutely essential to harmonious boat living (ok, harmonious living generally) that you share these chores. For cookware, I've gone aluminum since living aboard. I know others manage to keep cast iron rust free, but for me it's just too much of a hassle. IKEA is a great place to get cheap aluminum cookware, as well as cheap stainless everything. Costco is good too (and cheaper!) but their sets tend to be HUGE and not well suited to a small space.

Also: I'm not a woman, but was discussing this topic broadly with a few cruising friends last winter in the tropics. We'd had a few drinks and were giving a bit of TMI... One woman in the bunch (a liveaboard cruiser) finally gave up on tampons and napkins because she got tired of dealing with them at sea and in foreign ports. She switched to the pills that simply make you stop having your period. No mess, pills compact nicely, and she got a Dr. in the US to write her a scrip that lets her fill 12 months at a time. She said it was way easier. I think a few of the other women were thinking of following suit; she made a pretty compelling argument while we dudes looked at one another a bit queasily :-)
FlyMeAway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease