Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 08:51   #31

Boat: Catalina 375
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

While I agree with consensus here that most parrot heads are not sailors and only looking for an excuse to drink, when I am heeled over at 20-25 deg and my genoa is getting wet, it is paradise in bare feet and those songs, especially the old ones make me feel great as I have a beer and cigar, living the life. Even on Lake Ontario!
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 08:53   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
While I agree with consensus here that most parrot heads are not sailors and only looking for an excuse to drink, when I am heeled over at 20-25 deg and my genoa is getting wet, it is paradise in bare feet and those songs, especially the old ones make me feel great as I have a beer and cigar, living the life. Even on Lake Ontario!
And, that's the beauty of Buffett. It's music that can accompany and fuel the fantasy of sailing off to far off exotic places, or the reality of actually doing it.

I've used it for both, too!
Old 15-08-2018, 08:56   #33

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Most that say they do usually call themselves Parrot Heads.
Now this is my observation only, but being a Parrot Head is an excuse for being a drunk, most Parrot Heads don’t own or live on a boat.

Now if I were to want to emulate someone that is associated with that area of the World, I’d rater pick Hemingway
My wife and I are Parrot Heads. Not that we are huge Jimmy Buffet fans, we can take or leave most of his music. Rather, we belong to the Lake Havasu City Parrot Head service club (think Rotary or Kiwanis). Yes, a few of our members might over imbibe a bit, but most, like us, have left that lifestyle in the past. Mostly we raise money for local charities and support local events. Our motto is “Party with a purpose”. Many of our members are snowbirds who return to Lake Havasu each winter to enjoy our “senior summer camp in the winter” lifestyle which, to some, closely resembles Jimmy’s.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 09:32   #34

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

For Many, Many Years, My wife and I were serious PARROT HEADS. We have every CD, every DVD, every Book which he has out there, and have attended many of his concerts, if they were reasonably close to home. We typically hang out at LuLu's, in Gulf Shores, and Pirates Cove in Elberta, AL., about which he apparently wrote "CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE", according to many Buffett experts. We went to Key West just to see and take photos of houses where he had lived in his early years, and places where he began his playing, such as Captain Tony's Saloon, and Louie's Backyard.

He truly has some great music out there, especially the older stuff, from the heart, when he was actually a real sailor.

Recently, we and he have parted ways with his recent views and neither of us still consider ourselves Buffett fans. He has lost his way, and us along the way.
Old 15-08-2018, 09:48   #35

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Jimmy Buffet is a millionaire.
That’s his life style !
He espouses a life style but not necessarily living it....
Old 15-08-2018, 10:06   #36

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I'm in a slip at Pirates Cove now. First time at a dock in three years.

They do have good cheeseburgers. Also installed a huge new pizza oven last winter during a kitchen refit. The pizza is very good.

Everyone hopes the Cove never changes, and they have no intentions to do so. The place looks the same as it did decades ago. Almost everyone here is a active sailor and are very welcoming to all who come by.

Great place for people to bring their dogs. They are numerous and have the run of the place.

Sadly, Paul senior passed several years back, sons Paul and Carl run the place, and cook all the burgers. It's what they do. Mom, Miss Ilene, is still around and keeping everybody straight.

JB's sister owns Lulu's restaurant a few miles west in Gulf Shores. Jimmy is seen there from time to time, but hasn't been here in many years, or no one mentions it.

As they say here, "Long live Pirates Cove".
Old 15-08-2018, 10:13   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Got it, what is JB music?
A64, Jimmy Buffet music as I'm sure you gleaned by now. Also, He is big into airplanes.

His Goose is up in Orlando on static display at his Margaritaville Restaurant.

He also owns a caravan on floats that is at my airport (F45) every winter, and I have also seen him land at Marathon. I have my ASES, but only have flown a cub. I talked to the pilot and he said that big ole caravan lands pretty easy on the amphibs.
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 10:14   #38

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
ummmm...Jimmy Buffett is a workaholic. He is constantly touring. If he was really living the lifestyle he would be retired. He has plenty of cash to retire.

Jimmy sells a lifestyle, he doesn't really live it.
Ohdrinkboy, pretty much nailed it. Jimmy does have his share of fun and the life though.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 10:16   #39

Jaime Buffett is 70 years or so old, and quite wealthy. In 1975 he (and me, and a bunch of folks on this site) was in his twenties and was living a lifestyle as portrayed in his songs. I met him down island when he had a Cheoy Lee and we all were knocking around with a bunch of marijuana smugglers and adventurous world (Carribean) travelers (with enough bucks to buy a cruising sailboat). He probably never participated directly in the great american weed fleet, but he sure knew some of the participants. So his stories as reflected in the lyrics of a number of his early songs is based on 1st hand knowledge. He had the discipline to stay with his music and promote himself, and those traits have paid off well. I don't think that there is a comparable population of young scalawags doing the things Buffett portrays in his music, so if you are really living "that" lifestyle (and aren't getting on in years), you're pretty unique. And I wouldn't try sailing a boatload of finest reefer into Coconut Grove, as per the early/mid seventies.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 10:39   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post

They do have good cheeseburgers. Also installed a huge new pizza oven last winter during a kitchen refit. The pizza is very good.

Everyone hopes the Cove never changes, and they have no intentions to do so. The place looks the same as it did decades ago. Almost everyone here is a active sailor and are very welcoming to all who come by.

Great place for people to bring their dogs. They are numerous and have the run of the place.

Sadly, Paul senior passed several years back, sons Paul and Carl run the place, and cook all the burgers. It's what they do. Mom, Miss Ilene, is still around and keeping everybody straight.

JB's sister owns Lulu's restaurant a few miles west in Gulf Shores. Jimmy is seen there from time to time, but hasn't been here in many years, or no one mentions it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbiUfJJH...=mv_hye_won_ii
One of our favorite stops.

(And, Jimmy's old college room mate lives not too far from PCYC. One of the reasons, you see him around there from time to time.)

Me, tied up there in 1987.
Old 15-08-2018, 10:49   #41

Boat: a sailing boat

I live in a boat. I sail some. I party some.

I try not to get up before noon. I try not to hate those who do.

I like to watch young and healthy people sailing, dancing, enjoying life. I like to know some of them are nearly 50 years old.

My partner has amazing body. My boat has old sails. I would hate it to be otherwise.

I do believe in everybody do your own thing thing. Be it drinking rum, being an island goat, or coding, or watching Netflix from the couch.

Live and let live. Enjoy life. Celebrate a bit. Work a bit.

To work off my ass so that my kids have a better life? No, thanks. No kids, either.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 11:11   #42

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbiUfJJH...=mv_hye_won_ii
One of our favorite stops.

(And, Jimmy's old college room mate lives not too far from PCYC. One of the reasons, you see him around there from time to time.)

Me, tied up there in 1987.

Yep, that's the place. Dock looks the same, except has power pedestals now.

If you were standing in that spot today, I could hand you a beer from the bow of my boat.
Old 15-08-2018, 11:25   #43

Quote:

We knew Paul Sr. quite well, going back to the 80's. We talk to Carl occasionally and are friends with Rick also.

Sir, you have found Paradise, but you know what happens when you call some place Paradise. (EAGLES) We were in a slip there back in 2014 and 2015. Truly a wonderful place, we also take our dogs.
Old 15-08-2018, 11:44   #44

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
For Many, Many Years, My wife and I were serious PARROT HEADS. We have every CD, every DVD, every Book which he has out there, and have attended many of his concerts, if they were reasonably close to home. We typically hang out at LuLu's, in Gulf Shores, and Pirates Cove in Elberta, AL., about which he apparently wrote "CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE", according to many Buffett experts. We went to Key West just to see and take photos of houses where he had lived in his early years, and places where he began his playing, such as Captain Tony's Saloon, and Louie's Backyard.

He truly has some great music out there, especially the older stuff, from the heart, when he was actually a real sailor.

Recently, we and he have parted ways with his recent views and neither of us still consider ourselves Buffett fans. He has lost his way, and us along the way.
There are many places that claim or are rumored to have been the inspiration for " Cheeseburger in Paradise", and likely many were, but only one holds the actual liscene to the name...granted to them by JB himself.

Hint: it aint in Alabama.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 11:45   #45

Quote:

We knew Paul Sr. quite well and also occasionally see Carl and Paul Jr. We were last there by boat in 2014 and 15. Truly paradise to us.