Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 11:53   #46

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
There are many places that claim or are rumored to have been the inspiration for " Cheeseburger in Paradise", and likely many were, but only one holds the actual liscene to the name...granted to them by JB himself.

Hint: it aint in Alabama.

So there is an official location that is the source?

But as I mentioned, no one around here claims it's here that's the source.

Sometimes a tourist will ask, and the response is a shrug of the shoulders and a "beats me, who knows".
Old 15-08-2018, 12:08   #47

Quote:
There are many places that claim or are rumored to have been the inspiration for " Cheeseburger in Paradise", and likely many were, but only one holds the actual liscene to the name...granted to them by JB himself.

I know Cabbage Key claims that, but like you say, I've heard a bunch of places make the same claim. About every third bar serving hamburgers south of Miami does. Since Buffett has apparently given several different versions of where the inspiration came from, I guess it will remain one of life's gastronomical mysteries!
Old 15-08-2018, 12:41   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I know Cabbage Key claims that, but like you say, I've heard a bunch of places make the same claim. About every third bar serving hamburgers south of Miami does. Since Buffett has apparently given several different versions of where the inspiration came from, I guess it will remain one of life's gastronomical mysteries!
Yes, Cabbage Key is another great venue that is rumored to be the inspiration. First time I sailed there, I was really looking forward to a good Cheeseburger in Paradise. We arrived in time for lunch. Lots of tourists were there, but we went ashore anyway..what a dissapointment, the burger was lame. Went back again on another trip and went ashore for dinner. Ordered a CB...it was awesome! And the vibe at night is totally different...mostly just owners...very cool place at night.

Learned that they just churn out junk food for tourists during the day and the good stuff at night.

But alas, Cabbage Key is not the answer either...in fact its not in the USA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 12:50   #49

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

You guys are harsh. I am a Parrot Head. I sometimes fly my Jimmy Buffet flag and my pirate flags just because I can. I'm not a drunk and most of the Parrot Heads I know are not either - alcoholism in parrot land isn't any more prevalent than the normal population. As far categorizing all Parrotheads as those who move to Florida and live on tarp covered boats, this is also untrue. In fact, you will find that most of those that live that way have a listen to other types of music. As far as being from "another generation" - you better go to an actual concert and see for yourself - also wrong.

Its true that most parrotheads are not sailors but not all of the "JB lifestyle" is about sailing. As far as how much time JB spends in Florida or not I cannot say since I am not privy to his schedule but I suspect that when you are running multiple large companies (and touring almost non-stop for 50 years) that you probably don't get to spend as much time at home as you would like.

Does he live like a bum? No and if I were worth half-a-billion I wouldn't either. Like most successful people he had to work his way into those millions and at one time or another was poor like the rest of us. So part of the "jimmy buffet lifestyle" is based around success while you try to remain laid back. Apparently something that many people on this board are unable to do. Live and let live.

Sounds to me like you have ya'll panties in a twist - I'd like to hear how you categorize or not categorize yourselves or maybe you are in the "I not categorizable" group. Good for you I'll put you in the "doesn't know oneself" category.

As far as the cheeseburger in paradise... here is a quote directly from JB himself:

"The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispanola and Puerto Rico, and broke our new bowsprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind. We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and pina coladas. Now, these were the days when supplies were scarce - when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World. Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked, and what we wanted on them - to which very little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toast buns tasted like manna from Heaven, for, they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but that is the way it happened."
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 13:02   #50

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

But alas, I never bothered googling it. Cause I don't really care. Though find it interesting it was actually not a good cheeseburger.

Buffett said of this song: "The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispanola and Puerto Rico, and broke our new bowsprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind.

We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and piña coladas. Now, these were the days when supplies were scarce - when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World.

Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked, and what we wanted on them - to which very little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toast buns tasted like manna from Heaven, for, they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but that is the way it happened."
Old 15-08-2018, 13:22   #51

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Quote:

It may not be Pirates Cove, but their burgers will hold their own against all comers.

Not a tourist place at all, as it is way off of the tourist path. Most there are locals, and most come by boats of all type. Weekends are balls to the wall busy, but week days are really layback and slow. They have a neat web site too.
Old 15-08-2018, 13:29   #52

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
You guys are harsh. I am a Parrot Head. I sometimes fly my Jimmy Buffet flag and my pirate flags just because I can. I'm not a drunk and most of the Parrot Heads I know are not either - alcoholism in parrot land isn't any more prevalent than the normal population. As far categorizing all Parrotheads as those who move to Florida and live on tarp covered boats, this is also untrue. In fact, you will find that most of those that live that way have a listen to other types of music. As far as being from "another generation" - you better go to an actual concert and see for yourself - also wrong.

Its true that most parrotheads are not sailors but not all of the "JB lifestyle" is about sailing. As far as how much time JB spends in Florida or not I cannot say since I am not privy to his schedule but I suspect that when you are running multiple large companies (and touring almost non-stop for 50 years) that you probably don't get to spend as much time at home as you would like.

Does he live like a bum? No and if I were worth half-a-billion I wouldn't either. Like most successful people he had to work his way into those millions and at one time or another was poor like the rest of us. So part of the "jimmy buffet lifestyle" is based around success while you try to remain laid back. Apparently something that many people on this board are unable to do. Live and let live.

Sounds to me like you have ya'll panties in a twist - I'd like to hear how you categorize or not categorize yourselves or maybe you are in the "I not categorizable" group. Good for you I'll put you in the "doesn't know oneself" category.

As far as the cheeseburger in paradise... here is a quote directly from JB himself:

"The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispanola and Puerto Rico, and broke our new bowsprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind. We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and pina coladas. Now, these were the days when supplies were scarce - when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World. Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked, and what we wanted on them - to which very little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toast buns tasted like manna from Heaven, for, they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but that is the way it happened."
Ding, ding, ding...thats the most widely circulated one...but wait a minute...Buffet himself also tells several versions of this story involving different places...more semi true stories? 🤣
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 13:45   #53

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

I find some of JB's stuff entertaining in small doses and I've enjoyed several of the books he's written too, but if you're looking for a truer insight into the Cruisers lifestyle through music, then search out Eileen Quinn's music instead
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 13:49   #54
CLOD

Boat: none

I think some need to relax and have some fun, embrace the lifestyle, and stop getting it all fixed up with a real person.
Old 15-08-2018, 13:59   #55

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
As far categorizing all Parrotheads as those who move to Florida and live on tarp covered boats, this is also untrue.
Mental note: strike the rum and tarp from the "to get" list

Darn.

How about loud Hawaiian shirts? Those are still OK right?
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 14:59   #56

Jimmy has given a lot of us a dream. I own a boat and realize it is work and worry. Jimmy gave me a vision of peace and a pretty sunset and piece of mind. It does not have to be in an exotic place or with out work. it is just that wonderful relaxed feeling when the day is closing, you smell the salt air and you are in a safe anchorage, pour a drink, water or whatever and realize you are blessed!!! Thank you Jimmy!!!!
cc1842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 15:31   #57

Don't have that kind of $$$.
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 15:32   #58

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

HTML Code:
u
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Now if I were to want to emulate someone that is associated with that area of the World, I’d rater pick Hemingway
Yeh, except for the ending......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:06   #59

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
Mental note: strike the rum and tarp from the "to get" list

Darn.

How about loud Hawaiian shirts? Those are still OK right?
NOOoo... Strike the tarp, yes, but not the rum! And Hawaiian shirts are OK by me. But then again I like listening to his music.

And I still want to know where that "one particular harbor" is.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:11   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

I’d even say I admire to some extent how Hemingway went.
I wouldn’t pick such a violent way myself, but I think it takes a brave person to decide when they have had enough and decide to leave if you will.
I don’t see any need in going through the whole rot to death in bed, making a mess on yourself, pain, loss of dignity etc.
The things we make people go through sometimes isn’t civilized. We wouldn’t do that to a dog, yet we do to people.

With him it almost seemed to be a family tradition, I think his Father, Brother and Sister did the same?

Plus I think he was ill, exactly how bad etc., I have no idea.

Just think about this for a second, just say for example I am diagnosed with Cancer, I fight it, but as often happens the Cancer eventually gets to the point to where there is no hope, I will continue to degrade, in pain and suffer, going through whatever savings I have and planned on to support my family with, I will feel shame and my loved ones will witness me going though something terrible and it will adversely affect them for life.

Or while I am still in charge of my physical abilities, I can make sure my affairs are in order and quietly slip away.

Which is more civilized?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote