Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 09:45   #61

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Dinghy Motor Size

When we left California in 2010, we had a 3.1 aluminum AquaPro with a 15hp Honda that served us very well. However, by the time we got to Thailand, the AquaPro was badly beat up and the Honda was becoming fickle. An older couple than us (that's pretty old!) who were also circumnavigating almost got swept out to sea in a strong current when their outboard wouldn't start - luckily for them a Thai fisherman found them and towed them back to their boat. We sold the AquaPro/Honda combination and purchased a new dinghy (Cholomark, made in Phuket, Thailand) and a 2-stroke Yamaha 15hp leisure model. The combination tips the scales at nearly 200 pounds which can make it difficult for my wife and me to pull it up on a beach, even with dinghy wheels.

When we were in South Africa, we purchased a 2-stroke 5hp Tohatsu (US$750, brand new, delivered to the yacht club where we were staying) and we find that having the choice of outboards is perfect for our style of cruising.

We have discovered, though, that prop pitch can make a big difference in dinghy performance. The Yamaha came with an 11"-pitch prop and it was much too big for the heavy dinghy. I've since changed it to an 8".

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 14:44   #62

Boat: Lipari 41

Jus sayin’
We had 3 15 hp Yamaha’s over 15 years of cruising but now parts are getting harder and harder to find in the states, and you do not want to have buy a new prop in the Bahamas...loved the motor, extremely reliable but not as fuel efficient as the 4 strokes and Bahamian fuel is expensive...so if you have one take care of it and look for parts like water pump, etc where you might find some....the next manufacturer that has a lighter 4 stroke will have market cornered for years...and do not forget it isn’t just about carrying people but groceries, laundry and fuel not to mention your wife
Enjoy
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:43   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Dinghy Motor Size

Yamaha 15 hp Enduro is 5.7 lbs per hp.
Suzuki DF20A is a four stroke and is 4.95 lbs per hp.
Yes it’s heavier, but it’s 5 more hp too.

On edit, the leisure model Yamaha is I believe lighter, but for some reason harder to find.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:55   #64

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2boat View Post
Jus sayin’
We had 3 15 hp Yamaha’s over 15 years of cruising but now parts are getting harder and harder to find in the states, and you do not want to have buy a new prop in the Bahamas...
EBay was invented for this very reason.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 18:14   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Randy View Post
Howdy all,
I just ordered my new AB, 9'6 Aluminum dinghy with floor and bow locker. We will be leaving So Cal next year for Mexico and South America and..... Question is my thought is to go with the Yamaha 15 hp 4 stroke (since I cannot but a 2 in the US). Is 15 hp overkill, too much motor, just right or should I save the weight and couple hundred dollars and go with the 9.9.

My gut suggests I will be glad to have the added power and speed but the motor is approx. 20 lbs more.

Thanks for your suggestions.
We have 15 2-St on our 9.5 Caribe. Our friends have the dink you bought and also a 15. You will like being able to plane with two people and groceriesor to reach a dive site. Distances are often several miles. Having power also helps if you need to get your big boat out of trouble. The extra fuel consumption is negligible in the total scheme of things.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 18:43   #66

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
When we left California in 2010, we had a 3.1 aluminum AquaPro with a 15hp Honda that served us very well. However, by the time we got to Thailand, the AquaPro was badly beat up and the Honda was becoming fickle. An older couple than us (that's pretty old!) who were also circumnavigating almost got swept out to sea in a strong current when their outboard wouldn't start - luckily for them a Thai fisherman found them and towed them back to their boat. We sold the AquaPro/Honda combination and purchased a new dinghy (Cholomark, made in Phuket, Thailand) and a 2-stroke Yamaha 15hp leisure model. The combination tips the scales at nearly 200 pounds which can make it difficult for my wife and me to pull it up on a beach, even with dinghy wheels.

When we were in South Africa, we purchased a 2-stroke 5hp Tohatsu (US$750, brand new, delivered to the yacht club where we were staying) and we find that having the choice of outboards is perfect for our style of cruising.

We have discovered, though, that prop pitch can make a big difference in dinghy performance. The Yamaha came with an 11"-pitch prop and it was much too big for the heavy dinghy. I've since changed it to an 8".

Great advice and I appreciate you posting it..

We recently changed our dinghy to a much heavier one and have been struggling. I put a smaller prop on our Tohatsu and it definately helped, but not enough (it was an aftermarket in a size that Tohatsu doesn' offer). The local dealers say I need a prop that is a full size smaller (according to the Tohatsu charts).

Based on my experience with the aftermarket one and your post, I'm going to try thier suggestion. What can it hurt. Worst case, I have a spare prop.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 18:50   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Use a couple of boat bumpers to roll the dinghy up the sand
Old 08-07-2018, 18:56   #68

Boat: Colegate 26

I wonder about having a small electric outboard for the day-to-day stuff in a mooring field and a 15hp 2 stroker for long runs like dive trips. Swap as needed. That way you're not wearing out the rattle box making a dozen 3 minute trips. You'd probably want to have good power generation, though, and convenient recharge setup at your stern. I hear the range isn't stellar yet on electrics
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 20:35   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I wonder about having a small electric outboard for the day-to-day stuff in a mooring field and a 15hp 2 stroker for long runs like dive trips. Swap as needed. That way you're not wearing out the rattle box making a dozen 3 minute trips. You'd probably want to have good power generation, though, and convenient recharge setup at your stern. I hear the range isn't stellar yet on electrics
We often see a spare outboard hanging on a motor bracket, usually smaller but not tiny. These are always true spares in case the main outboard fails. It is generally too much bother to switch out motors based on HP to conserve fuel. As I noted, fuel is available and not a great cost compared to diesel and food and other expenses. Keep it simple.
Old 26-08-2018, 12:47   #70

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I understand 2 strokes cannot be commercially shipped to the US. What are the regs for bringing one in yourself? What if the motor is new?
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 14:28   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
I understand 2 strokes cannot be commercially shipped to the US. What are the regs for bringing one in yourself? What if the motor is new?

I believe it is technically illegal, but I have never seen anyone ask.
All it takes of course a complaint or something and for CBP to start looking, then you lose your motor.
However it’s not necessary, my 20 Hp Suzuki is lighter per HP than a 15 Yamaha Enduro, and never has any carb problems, never fouls a spark plug. Sips fuel. Fuel cost isn’t the issue, having to carry less is nice though. You do have to change the oil and filter yearly.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 16:15   #72

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
The EPA regulation that went into effect in 2006 applies to manufacturers only. As of then, all new outboards sold must meet EPA requirements. An individual can buy an outboard in another country and bring it into the USA but you cannot sell a new one in the USA.

nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 20:52   #73

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
The EPA regulation that went into effect in 2006 applies to manufacturers only. As of then, all new outboards sold must meet EPA requirements. An individual can buy an outboard in another country and bring it into the USA but you cannot sell a new one in the USA.

Not according to this EPA site. As I read it used engines still need to comply on import.
https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/learn-about-importing-vehicles-and-engines
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor, size