Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 15:25   #46

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
Re: Dinghy Motor Size

I have a rib with a fiberglass floor....we used it in the bahamas last year with an 8.8 yamaha.....great with just me and my wife...add water and some gear and forget it.......I just purchased a new 20hp yamaha and I am going saturaday to pick it up in Quebec...

the reason
no mixing...the cost of decent 2 stroke oil is expensive and although I brought 10 literes of pre mix oil, I thought I was going to run out in the bahamas, Have you checked the price of 2 stroke oil in the bahamas??...its nuts......dinghy fuel became a real expense, that 8.8 wide open everytime we were in it was crazy

planes with more than 2 people...we had company a couple of times...other crusiers would see us barely moving with 4 people sitting comfortably in it and pull up side and offer to take a passenger...well its a good way to meet other cruiser

the 4 stroke will uses less fuel, there is another savings all on it own

and we have been known to travel 7 to 10 miles one way buy dinghy...and if your going that far you are carrying water and gear of some type....I need the power and reliability of the 4 stroke Yamaha, to get me back if conditions suddenly change.

So my vote goes for a new 4 stroke, biggest horsepower you can put on that dinghy......if you can lift the dinghy, then surely you can find a way to lift the bigger Horse power engine
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 16:17   #47

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Interestingly a Craigs List post just popped up for a 1989 Yamaha 15 in what looks like excellent condition for $1,200 firm. Thoughts? and is a 19 year old motor an issue even though price seems on the high side but allot cheaper than a new 15 4 stroke.
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:39   #48

I have a 1953 motor (3hp) apart in my workshop now. It's old enough that the parts are aluminum instead of plastic, and it has babbitt bearings which means it has to run on 16:1 instead of a more modern 50:1 mix. Otherwise, the technology hasn't changed since then, and parts availability for smaller outboards (25 hp and less) is good back to at least the mid 1960s (for major makers).

For any older outboard, you would want to overhaul the carburetor, reseal the gearbox, replace the fuel pump and lines, and replace the ignition coils, points, condenser, wires, and plugs -- unless you are confident of the service history and this work has been performed recently. Usually $300-$400 in parts and a few hours' labor. In addition the water pump impeller should be inspected annually.

Why do outboards die.
- Wear on internal engine components with heavy use over a period of years especially at full throttle. Recreational users with day jobs usually can't wear them out but fishing guides, rental service, etc., can. Overhaul is possible but not usually economically worthwhile
- Cumulative, pervasive corrosion, especially with saltwater use
- Immersion
- Engine seizure due to multi-season storage in a humid environment
- Operator error: collision, use of wrong fuel mixture, overheating due to lack of maintenance or being run dry, etc.

A basic visual inspection and a compression test will help weed out motors that aren't worth fixing.

If you do your own work you can end up money ahead, otherwise it's usually just a push financially (vs. new), but if your preferred motor isn't available new than you have to consider alternatives.

Good luck.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:53   #49

Boat: Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
Have 310 single floor RIB, we also use two outboards. Have a 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke great motor and a 2 hp Honda, that's only 22lbs. The 9.8 planes two with gear, sometimes we can get three up. Use the Honda in small harbours, where you can't plane. We also keep the RIB light, no seat and minimal gear. In the Bahamas, the Yamaha is king and most have 15hp 2stroke. Hear good things and parts are available. We had to ship in a prop for the Tohatsu.

Parts are becoming harder to find in the US since dealers no longer stock them....could not find a cowling or bracket for a 2 stroke 15 2016 Yamaha... might want to keep that in mind...also remember Yamaha still sells its 15 2-stroke Enduro which was never available stateside so all 2-stroke 15 Yamaha’s are not the same
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 04:47   #50

Advice:2018 Tohatsu 4 stroke or 2007 Yamaha 2 stroke

So what would you buy:

2007 25HP Yamaha 2 stroke 10 hours like new $2300 109 LBS
OR
2018 Tohatsu 20HP 4 stroke New 5 year warranty or $2900 97 LBS

Dinghy is a Achilies 315DX 10.6 foot RIB.

I live in Florida and planning to do the Great Loop next year in my 32 Grand Banks.

Can't decide which motor to buy. What do you all think?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.
Reel Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 05:21   #51

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: Advice:2018 Tohatsu 4 stroke or 2007 Yamaha 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Grace View Post
So what would you buy:

OR

I live in Florida and planning to do the Great Loop next year in my 32 Grand Banks.

You're not talking about much of a difference in price. In return, you get a five year warranty. I'm a big fan of four stroke engines but there are plenty of people that would opt for the two stroke. I just don't like mixing the oil and water. Also, the four strokes tend to be a bit quieter and seems like they tend to smoke less. There will be lots of differing opinions.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 05:57   #52

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
You can not legally buy a new one in Calif or go to Mexico and bring it back. Best bet find a cruiser who just came back to the states.
I have 20 year old 15hp two stroke mercury, no problems, starts every time and I can lift it on and off by myself. Prior to the Merc, I had a 9.9 two stroke Evin, no problems but wanted more hp for same weight. When I need to do PM I can always find parts at Boats.net. Recently tried to lift a 15 hp four stroke in the dealer showroom - no can do. Why not buy wait and buy a two stroke once you get to Mexico??
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 07:39   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Advice:2018 Tohatsu 4 stroke or 2007 Yamaha 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Grace View Post
So what would you buy:

OR

Since the manufacturer's Max HP rating for the Achilles 315DX is 20HP, I wouldn't go above that

They actually state: Recommended 15HP (6-20)

Personally I've go with something quite a bit smaller and lighter than either of those on a 10.6ft tender that will frequently have to be man-handled on and off your boat.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 07:50   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Dinghy Motor Size

If your 10’ Achilles is like my 10’ AB or old 10’ Zodiac, 20 HP is no where near too much, and in my opinion about right. I think it would be a pig with a 9.9 and not plane with any load at all.

Four strokes are really, really nice put putting around in a mooring field, around the dinghy Dock etc, they idle smooth and don’t cut off, and never smoke or leave an oily sheen on the water.
If the Tohatsu isn’t fuel injected, I’d look at a Suzuki, the fuel injection means it “carburates” perfectly all the time and any speed or RPM, and always starts easy.
My personal belief on engine size and rated HP, Is if your going to let kids operate the thing, stay under max rating. If it’s just you and your an adult, then surely you can exercise good judgement and not do anything stupid, but a big motor is nice to get onto plane when heavily loaded, not everyone has to lean forward and wait while the bow is pointed high, just get right on plane and back off the throttle, a big motor will run the same speed at a lower RPM and make less noise.
Only problem is they are usually heavier.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 08:19   #55

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

I finally took delivery of our new dinghy this weekend just in time for the memorial weekend. Was on order for two months from the factory. Went with the AB Alumnia 9.6' and a 2018 Yamaha 15 (4 stroke of course). Spent hours over the weekend dinkin around. With two people instant plane and speed to just over 21. Three people, a slower plane with WOT speed of 16. Very dry ride and a good quality product. Very pleased with the purchase and now we will see how she does for the long haul. It is heavy and a bit of a beast on the davits but quite manageable.

Stay tuned.
CR
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 13:16   #56

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

One thing overlooked with two strokes is that they generally have a better torque at low rpm compared to a four stroke. In practice this means they will get a boat up onto the plane more readily than a comparible four stroke of the same hp rating.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 13:58   #57

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Four strokes are really, really nice put putting around in a mooring field, around the dinghy Dock etc, they idle smooth and don’t cut off, and never smoke or leave an oily sheen on the water.,
Running a Suzuki 30 two stroke on our tender for two years now
Never had any or at least have never noticed any of the issues you talk of.
Quote:
but a big motor is nice to get onto plane when heavily loaded, not everyone has to lean forward and wait while the bow is pointed high, just get right on plane and back off the throttle, a big motor will run the same speed at a lower RPM and make less noise.
Only problem is they are usually heavier.
Because of our draft we are often a mile or more away from when we resupply.
It sure is nice being able to put several months worth of stores into a dinghy and do the run through a chop in a single trip which this does, just.
When this motor is due for replacement well go to a 40hp.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 19:12   #58

Boat: Lipari 41

I would second the Suzuki recommendation....bought one online from ‘Suzuki online’ for $200 less than a 2 stroke Yamaha we bought 2 years ago in the Bahamas
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 21:24   #59

Update...... bought a 2008 Yamaha 25HP 2 Stroke 20" shaft electric and manual start. Great condition low hours. $1850. Mounted on my 2009 Achilles 10.8 Rib with a mount riser to accommodate the 20 " shaft. Boat runs out beautifully. I don't think I would have wanted anything less power or torque. Gets up on plane immediately and tops out at 32 MPH with just me at 190 lbs in it. Boat weighs 159 lbs and motor weighs 115 lbs......... total 274 lbs. Yes it's heavier than most would prefer. But the handling of the boat is wonderful. Safe very dry ride, fast to shore and can carry 5 people on plane. Like the 2 Stroke simplicity over 4 stroke computers and plastic parts that break. I know how to trouble shoot and make repairs on a 2 stroke to get it running if it quits. But.. they don't break often. Usually just plugs or clean carbs.

Thanks for the input everyone. The opinions and advice did have an impact on my purchase.
Reel Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:47   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Dinghy Motor Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
One thing overlooked with two strokes is that they generally have a better torque at low rpm compared to a four stroke. In practice this means they will get a boat up onto the plane more readily than a comparible four stroke of the same hp rating.

Mercury supercharged their Verado line of outboards to try to compensate for the lower torque, it worked but of course is more complex than any of us want on our little dinghies.
Of course I used to say that about four strokes, especially computer controlled ones.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor, size