Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2019, 12:54   #16

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT
Re: Best Hypalon Dinghy and outboard right now

I have an older WM 310 Hard bottom and a 9.8 Tohatsu 4stroke. The engine runs perfectly. The WM is old and beat up and leaked. I bought a Qt (I think ) of the internal sealer from WM and it worked amazingly well. Holds air for quite a while now. Still looks like s#!$ though. But planes great with two on board.
endlesspursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 13:14   #17

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDanielBryant View Post
WRT outboards, I recommend you look into the propane powered units. My Lehr is no longer manufactured, but there are several makes available now. No gasoline smell, no gasoline danger, and no gasoline varnish clogging the carb (that alone is reason enough to get one).
I am also a fan of propane outboards. While the Lehr is no longer around, there is a 5 hp Tohatsu/Mercury propane unit available.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 13:53   #18

Boat: Vagabond 42

I’m an AB vote for the boat. And a Yahama 2 stroke (enduro I’d you are in the Caribbean) for the engine. I find a 15hp perfect, fast but not too heavy. They are fairly light and mine is just (knock on wood) unbelievably dependable. I am killing my AB by storing it upside down on my bow in the sun but after 6 years it still holds air great!
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 14:03   #19

Boat: hans christian 38

Beware of buying a Walker Bay inflatable, particularly the 9 foot Genesis model. The material may become very sticky after only a few seasons, and believe me, NOTHING takes that stuff off! The only suggested solution is to paint
over the fabric with a specially formulated (i.e.
expensive) rubber paint.
captdavematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 15:10   #20

Just bought a few months back a new 9’ Apex hypalon aluminum dinghy and put a new Suzuki 6hp on it. So far so good but you probably wouldn’t want to go any smaller. The 6hp will just get one person on a plane, but I like it for the internal fuel tank along with the external hookup. As far as dink’s, buy as much as you can transport. You will outgrow a small one pretty quick.
Speedbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 15:43   #21

Boat: O’Day 40

Regarding OB’ a Ive had excellent experience with both Yamaha & my current Tohatsu.

I think these days PVC gets a bum rap, any architect will tell you the best single ply roofing membrane is unquestionably PVC. If you want the best longevity of any plastic boat, you need to keep them under cover, period. To West Marines defense, I took my 4 yr old inflatable into the store just today. They treated me very well & I left with a slightly larger wood floor/inflatable keel 10’-4” model. Goes like a bat out of hell w/10 hp Tohatsu, planes w/2 like nobody’s business.

LouK
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 15:50   #22

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdavematt View Post
Beware of buying a Walker Bay inflatable, particularly the 9 foot Genesis model. The material may become very sticky after only a few seasons, and believe me, NOTHING takes that stuff off! The only suggested solution is to paint
over the fabric with a specially formulated (i.e.
expensive) rubber paint.
Walker Bay sell the Genesis in two different materials. At least it did when I bought mine in 2009. The Hypalon was $1000 more than the PVC but the warranty goes from 6 years to 10 years. Hypalon does not get sticky but PVC will especially if subjected to diesel exhaust. Other than cleaning mine which is Hypalon and 10 years old is doing great.
Old 13-07-2019, 15:50   #23

Boat: Sigma 41

I have a 1990 Achilles hypalon which has no leaks and I have replaced the ply. wood floor boards. PVC will not hold up in the tropics. My Zodiac PVC had the floor melt away and no amount of regluing would fix it. My Suzuki 4 hp four stroke which is 8 years old runs great with regular running.
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 15:54   #24

Boat: Moody 41 AC

I have a 6 years old Achilles Hypalon 2.4m dinghy matched with a Yamaha 2.5 hp 2 stroke which sits on davits on the rear of my Moody 41AC in strong Sydney sunshine. I have seen no deterioration in the dinghy and I very occasionally top it up with air. The Achilles is by far the best of the 4 dinghies I have had in the last 20 years or so (all previously PVC). As another contributor said, in relation to dinghies you get what you pay for.
Wollamai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 15:57   #25

Boat: Seafarer36c

I think an Apex has the fastest hull and a 15 Enduro the best engine.
That engine is really something. I see what looks like an exact Chinese copy at one store in GUA. I can't see any difference at all. I wonder if the parts are interchangeable?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 18:15   #26

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
I am killing my AB by storing it upside down on my bow in the sun but after 6 years it still holds air great!
Why not put a Sunbrella cover over it when it is on the bow?
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 18:39   #27

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

While I think this vid needs more editing there is some interesting footage of and inflatable and a dog. Interesting design and there are other vids of a Takacat that impress me. Would be interested if anyone else actually has one on CF.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 18:44   #28

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Another vid

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 19:16   #29

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
If you read this you might change your mind about Hypalon.

https://www.boatstogo.com/PVC-vs-Hyp...able-Boats.asp
After reading that I’m more convinced than ever that PVC sucks and Hypalon is the only viable material in sunny places.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 21:04   #30

Boat: Oyster 56

At last count I have had over 20 inflatables from 2 to 6.5m and my experience here in nz where the UV is strong is that PVC boats are cheaper and lighter but do not last. Hypalon boats on the other hand just keep on gong. I have had several hypalon boats over 20years old that still hold air well. The absolute lifespan of a very well made PVC boat here is 10years. Chinese boats 3-5.. I have had several Achilles hypalon roll up boats and they have been well built and ok on the water. Roll ups are only ever ‘ok’ on the water due to the design compromises made to alllw them to be packed away.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, outboard