Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 18:26   #1

Boat: 1981 Tayana 37
Best Hypalon Dinghy and outboard right now

I know these things kinda go in cycles, one year Tihatsu is the best, next its Yamaha, for example. Im looking for a Hypalon inflatable, about 9 foot, with the wood or aluminum floor, air keel, and a 6 hp outboard. I have been looking at achillies with a Tihatsu(sp) thru defender. Any suggestions?I have also looked at west marine, although they have mercs and not quite the model I want inflatable wise. But they do have 30% off till sunday (I got the manager to extend it form last week as I told him Id make a decision this week) I will have a wooden scow as a backup on the foredeck. This will go in the davits or stay stowed and Ill use the scow as my main. I do have a 90 lb dog, I haven't built the scow yet, so we will see, it might not be stable enough to lift the dog into it from the water, I might have to use the inflatable as my main..regardless, that's something Ill figure out once I build it..lol.
Thanks!
TheLastPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 18:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think you will be fine with a Tohatsu and an Achilles.
I went with an AB myself. I believe the Mercury is a Tohatsu with different pricing and stickers, but may be wrong.
I’d avoid a WM dinghy myself. I don’t know who makes them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 19:46   #3

Boat: 1981 Tayana 37
Re: Best Hypalon Dinghy and outboard right now

I agree
TheLastPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 02:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Tohatsu makes the small outboards for Mercury, Nissan, Evinrude, and (IMHO) Suzuki.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 04:31   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I've been happy with the Tohatsu 4 Hp, which is four cycle, combined with the Walker Bay dinghy with an inflated collar. The down side of the WB is that it is non-planing, but if you want, there is a sailing kit. The up side is that the dinghy is not dependent on the inflated collar for it's utility. The collar is replaceable, although ours has been through several years of direct sunlight without any sign of deterioration.
Old 13-07-2019, 04:40   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPirate View Post
I do have a 90 lb dog, I haven't built the scow yet, so we will see, it might not be stable enough to lift the dog into it from the water, I might have to use the inflatable as my main..regardless, that's something Ill figure out once I build it..lol. Thanks!
We also have a 40kg pooch. If the 8ft inflatable is secured across the sugar scoop stern with 3 bits of string it is stable enough to just about pick up the dog and lift him on to the boat. However, any chop or passing boat wash and it gets really interesting. One day there will be a big splash. Can't imagine doing it with a scow dinghy.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 08:58   #7

If you read this you might change your mind about Hypalon.

https://www.boatstogo.com/PVC-vs-Hyp...able-Boats.asp
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 09:01   #8

The 9’ Achilles I have is great and does not show any of the problems that the PVC inflatables showed - hyperlon is definitely superior to PVC. WRT outboards, I recommend you look into the propane powered units. My Lehr is no longer manufactured, but there are several makes available now. No gasoline smell, no gasoline danger, and no gasoline varnish clogging the carb (that alone is reason enough to get one).
JDanielBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 09:52   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Tohatsu makes the small outboards for Mercury, Nissan, Evinrude, and (IMHO) Suzuki.

I think Suzuki makes their own, I know from 9.9 to 20 they do, and I believe the 2.5 also. Those are the only Suzuki motors I’ve looked at.
Suzuki’s were fuel injected long before the Tohatsu’s were I think, which makes me think they make their own.
Old 13-07-2019, 10:49   #10

Boat: Catalina 309 31'

Not sure which hypalon dinghy is best but I do know to never by a West Marine PVC dinghy. I bought one maybe 5 years ago and it turned sticky in one season in New England. It was under warranty so I returned it and after many many calls and emails it was replaced. That also deteriorated in one season as well. I returned it and same thing. Finally after returning 4 dinghies I was told the warranty was no longer being offered. The last one I got is as sticky as a babies Lollypop.
On a happier note the Tohatsu 6hp outboard has been outstanding.
Phennessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 10:51   #11

Boat: 1997 Hunter 376

I bought the Achilles 270fx rib 8'9 with folding transom and a 6hp Yamaha, folds up and stores nicely in a bag when not on deck or being towed, 4 person 1000lbs. It does not plane with me (220lbs) with the 6hp and dont believe it would with the max recommended 8hp (another 25lbs) on the transom. It works very well for my needs with short hauls to marina or shore but if I was doing longer trips I would go with a longer rib and more horses.
Seasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 11:17   #12

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I have two Achillies air floor, small about 280 on the boat 7-8 years old, great shape, but out of the weather 6 months of the year.......

I bought it because I have a 12.5 foot 20 year old air floor that runs a 50 hp motor and carries 4 divers and a driver that after many many hard years use runs as new.........it spent its first 5 years inflated at a dock in the water for 6 months of the year......it was in those years I learned......YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 11:31   #13

Boat: Taswell 43

Following. We have a Yamaha 15hp 2-cycle, that has worked perfectly through Asia, the Medd, and now the Caribb. But our custom-made hypalon dinghy (from the Philippines) is getting pretty tired, the front and side tubes have slow leaks that no can find the leak in, and the f/g hull/floor and transom are looking not-so-good! As we store our boat in Puerto Rico, and there is a WM store there, comments about the WM dinghys are very interesting.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 11:31   #14

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
If you read this you might change your mind about Hypalon.

https://www.boatstogo.com/PVC-vs-Hyp...able-Boats.asp
Lost their point in the first paragraph, the translation is bad or author is lazy and never reread what they had written........it seems to be a rant on under inflated neglected inflatables (I get that point), but it has unsupported points thrown in, like the amount the two materials deflate per day........my hypalon boats don't deflate 15% per day, that would be 30% in 2 days!!!!! That is a cart load of bull droppings.......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 11:38   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Zodiac needed airing up ever time we used it, we were weekenders at the time and were only on the boat on weekends.
I think I have added air to my AB twice so far and I believe that corresponds to seasonal temps as it’s two years old now.
I’ve heard that Hypalon doesn’t hold air as well as PVC so I thought the Zodiac was normal when I had it, but the AB has proven that to be incorrect.

Tags
dinghy, outboard