Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2019, 21:53   #31

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Best Hypalon Dinghy and outboard right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
After reading that I’m more convinced than ever that PVC sucks and Hypalon is the only viable material in sunny places.

The link is to a dealer who only sells PVC boats. Who woulda' guessed???

I also have a West Marine PVC dinghy which came with another purchase. Two months past the warranty expiration (24 months) the bottom fell out. West response: tough noogies! I located one source who would attempt to repair it for $400, but would not guarantee his work even for 30 days. Wanna buy a slightly used dinghy needing a little work?

As best as I can tell, no serious cruiser in lower latitudes uses PVC for their dinks. My Achilles dates from 2006. Fastidiously cared for. No leaks. No complaints. I also have an Avon from the early '90's that still holds air indefinitely, but I don't use regularly. Both are hypalon.

In my mind, there are numerous reputable vendors offering quality hypalon boats that have good track records. Stick with what has proven to work.

I am also still using my 1995 Evinrude 6hp 2-stroke. At dinghy docks I am usually not the oldest Evinrude engine owner. Other boaters I have met are using Evinrude/Johnson engines from the '70's. Take that one to the bank!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 11:17   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best Hypalon Dinghy and outboard right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
While I think this vid needs more editing there is some interesting footage of and inflatable and a dog. Interesting design and there are other vids of a Takacat that impress me. Would be interested if anyone else actually has one on CF.

I’ve seen a few in the Bahamas, from what I saw I wasn’t impressed, they didn’t seem to handle rough water as well and if you have to bow it at the dinghy dock it didn’t seem to be as easy to get in and out.
But I didn’t ride in one nor operate one, so perhaps I’m wrong, the truth is in having one for awhile

By handle rough water I mean in Georgetown where it’s often rough and most have a long dinghy ride it seemed the takacat’s were a wet ride, not saying they swamped easily etc, just no high bow to block water seemed to cause people to get wetter.
Of course maybe they just didn’t know to sit further back and ride bow high either?

In Georgetown you would often see people in smaller dinghies, especially ones that couldn’t plane wearing their foulies. So not only were the Takacat people getting wet, everyone did to some extent.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 12:39   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I have to add my prejudice against WM inflatables. It is my understanding that they are made by Zodiac. Experience wise, the WM I had had the glue fail and the floor completely popped out when boarding. A friend bought a new Zodiac and on the second boarding he found himself floating in the water looking at the tubes. His floor popped out. I’ve heard, but not confirmed several other similar anecdotes.
Now I use the Achilles with roll up aluminum floor with no problems. My only complaint is that I would consider a 10 hp a min size. I’m getting a bit too old for slinging that kind of weight.
If just me and the missus I use an 8 ft fatty knees with a Honda 2 hp. I can still handle 27 lb. 🥴
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 13:32   #34

Boat: Vancouver 27

I've got a 12 year old Achilles which has seen years of tropical abuse and is still going strong, even after the fancy inflatible sup board we bought much more recently has now seen better days. The Achilles stays inflated for weeks without needing any top offs.

Have been very pleased also after finding a used 8hp 2stroke tohastu. Pros and cons to the 2stroke but for us, but ease of maintenance,repair and weight to power ratio tip the balance. You can still find used 2strokes in North America these days with a little searching.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 14:31   #35

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
If you read this you might change your mind about Hypalon.

https://www.boatstogo.com/PVC-vs-Hyp...able-Boats.asp
If you sail in the tropics, don't buy PVC. The seams come apart.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 16:46   #36

Boat: Oyster 56

I have had a 3.8 meter takacat. and two genuine Gemini Thundercats in the past. The Gemini is a weapon that runs a 50 horse Yamaha and can reach over 50 miles an hour and turn on a dime. The Gemini performed really well in surf (as that is what it was designed for) and in a small chop providing you go very fast and skim over it on the air pocket. The Takacat is a watered down version of the Gemini cheaply made in China with the hijackers removed and a simplified transom structure. Without the hijackers the takacat has a harsh and wet ride on the plane and have poor directional stability. The tones and components are not durable in nz conditions.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 07:50   #37

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPirate View Post
I know these things kinda go in cycles, one year Tihatsu is the best, next its Yamaha, for example. Im looking for a Hypalon inflatable, about 9 foot, with the wood or aluminum floor, air keel, and a 6 hp outboard. I have been looking at achillies with a Tihatsu(sp) thru defender. Any suggestions?I have also looked at west marine, although they have mercs and not quite the model I want inflatable wise.
Thanks!
See if you can find a dealer that carries the ZAR. They are European and we had never heard of them until we found a dealer in FL, but are in love with our 9' tender, and now see them all over the Caribbean.

Not sure where you're planning to travel... but if heading out of the US or to the caribbean we found Mercury not only problematic but impossible to get parts for, as where the Yahama is well represented and available just about every major island/marine store.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 12:35   #38

Boat: Seidelmann 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phennessey View Post
Not sure which hypalon dinghy is best but I do know to never by a West Marine PVC dinghy. I bought one maybe 5 years ago and it turned sticky in one season in New England. It was under warranty so I returned it and after many many calls and emails it was replaced. That also deteriorated in one season as well. I returned it and same thing. Finally after returning 4 dinghies I was told the warranty was no longer being offered. The last one I got is as sticky as a babies Lollypop.
On a happier note the Tohatsu 6hp outboard has been outstanding.
I had the same experience. I found that if you just don't try to clean it, it will get a yellowish patina, which is not sticky. I will never buy west marine brand inflatables again
Stephenlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 13:06   #39

Electric Outboard ist probably the smartest thing to do.
E.g. the brand new Torqeedo Travel 1103 CS.

- no maintenance
- no starting problems
- easiest handling possible
- no stinking gasoline on board
- no noise
- super simple storage
- 12V charging

Get an additional battery and you have everything you need for long operating hours.

OK, they are expensive - but worth it!
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 13:08   #40

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We're happy with our 9' AB Ultralight and our Tohatsu 3.5 and Tohatsu 9.8 2-strokes. The Ultralight is a compromise to get the light weight - single floor, smaller tubes, wetter ride, doesn't track as well and the wind can blow it around a bit. But, it is easy to pull up on the beach.

If I was buying a new outboard I would go for the Yamaha 8hp 2-stroke. It is a lot lighter than the four strokes.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 13:54   #41

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We have had three dingys.

1986 Zodiac MkII Hypalon with plywood floor (and 25hp merc). It came unglued almost everywhere, which we had fixed, but setting it up on deck was almost impossible. and it was too big (14ft) so we sold it.

1993 Avon 3.41 Hypalon with inflatable floor (and same 25hp merc!, later traded for 15hp) This dingy lasted 10 years but it was getting rough and the keel was constantly needing repair. I got tired of fixing it every time I wanted to use it.

2009 Zodiac 3.6 PVC Active-V with inflatable floor. This has been the worst of the three. The PVC cannot be cleaned and takes on stains. The floor has had many problems and we replaced that this year for $400. Most of the glued-on parts and some of the seams have come loose and needed to be reglued (try that in Borneo) which I have learned to do. Plus... the design is bad, lacking longitudinal stiffness so that with the 15HP Merc cavitation of the engine due to bending of the boat is a problem, and there are other design problems.

I have no problem with PVC, if kept clean and protected from continuous exposure, but I'd look at Achilles. We prefer a completely collapsible boat since we like to roll it up and store it below on passages. There are few choices.

I love my 15hp made in USA 2-stroke Merc. (19 years old). So sorry that they are not available any longer. I'd buy another one in a flash, and I will even consider Tohatsu/Merc. (The factory in Japan is a joint merc/tohatsu/nissan effort) but it is a different motor.

Buy the biggest boat you can fit on your boat, but keep it LIGHT because getting it up and down a beach is always an issue.

The photo is the 2009 Zodiac Fast Roller Active-V (12+ft) with the 15hp Merc two stroke, taken this month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30-3120-Boarding the Dingy.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	196014  
Old 18-07-2019, 09:51   #42

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
I have had a 3.8 meter takacat. and two genuine Gemini Thundercats in the past. The Gemini is a weapon that runs a 50 horse Yamaha and can reach over 50 miles an hour and turn on a dime. The Gemini performed really well in surf (as that is what it was designed for) and in a small chop providing you go very fast and skim over it on the air pocket. The Takacat is a watered down version of the Gemini cheaply made in China with the hijackers removed and a simplified transom structure. Without the hijackers the takacat has a harsh and wet ride on the plane and have poor directional stability. The tones and components are not durable in nz conditions.
Did not know they were made in China (but it seems everything is now a days). I looked at the Thundercats but they don't really seem to be small enough to be a dinghy on my boat (has to be less than 12 feet). Also have looked at Dux boats which seem very similar to Thundercats, but they make a model small enough to put on my davits. Dux makes some interesting claims about PVC and they do have a good warranty and a well established name for racing; but are heavy.

What was most impressive to me was the Takacat was not only small enough to fit on the davits but also lighter than similar boats. Another consideration for me was that while I am happy with my Achilles I have a 9.9 Yamaha on it and the Takacat could go as fast as the Achilles with a much smaller (read lighter) outboard motor.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 09:55   #43

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
SNIP

Buy the biggest boat you can fit on your boat, but keep it LIGHT because getting it up and down a beach is always an issue.

SNIP.
That is the real trick. As a rule the bigger the heavier. I have been looking into several different options. One thing I have noticed is that some inflatables have an option to put fold up wheels on the transom to make beaching options easier.

Any thoughts on wheels.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 10:52   #44

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

Pulling it up a beach is the easy part. It's man handling it on the boat, or around the boat that is the bigger problem.

I've not seen a lighter boat than 3d Tender's offerings. Hypalon is a choice they offer too. African Cats v-lite rib looks interesting too, but it's not light and certainly not cheap.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:17   #45

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
That is the real trick. As a rule the bigger the heavier. I have been looking into several different options. One thing I have noticed is that some inflatables have an option to put fold up wheels on the transom to make beaching options easier.

Any thoughts on wheels.
Size is not the only factor in weight. The material of the tubes, the material of the hull (if a rib) all come into play. in a 10ft boat you can select models from 73lbs to 135lbs (nearly double).

Pulling it up the beach with a gas tank and motor is a real pain without wheels.

Large wheels are hugely better. Our Ideal Wheels have been moved from dingy to dingy for 20+ years, we've replaced the tires and tubes, but they're still in use. Look for simple method of lifting up or putting down. I have to lean over the transom and pull pins, but it's OK.

You need a flat transom to mount them.

Tags
dinghy, outboard