Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-05-2021, 01:11   #61

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Best Cabin Fan?

$10 Woolworths desk fans for us.
With a decent battery bank and inverter the power usage is negligible.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 01:13   #62
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hella Turbos are easy to repair

https://youtu.be/TPVeyX91XHI
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 07:11   #63

Boat: Salona 44

Question: Does anyone have an opinion regarding the best fans that are USB capable and also not permanently mounted (clip on)? Seems the fans mentioned here are hard-wired and mounted. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAndante9 View Post
Which of the following is quieter or performs better?

Hella Marine, 12 Volt, 2 Speed, 'Turbo' Fan, Black or White

or the

Caframo 748 Bora, 3-Speed Fan, 12 Volt, White

or

something else.
Mabel Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 12:56   #64

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel Page View Post
Question: Does anyone have an opinion regarding the best fans that are USB capable and also not permanently mounted (clip on)? Seems the fans mentioned here are hard-wired and mounted. Thanks in advance.

Isn't the whole idea of a fan to actually move air in volume enough to cool?
Can a USB powered fan do that?
I have doubts the crapiframo ones can
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 13:48   #65

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
Best Cabin Fan?

OPOLAR 10000mAh Portable... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RXVJDYM...p_mob_ap_share
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 15:24   #66

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel Page View Post
For living aboard in a HOT and HUMID place you need to move a lot of air and you need it nearly full time. That really means mounted and hard wired.

We have 8 mounted and wired Hella Turbo 12v fans (and we have 4 spares). Most often 4-6 of them are running all day, every day. To live aboard in Mexico they are essential (about like Miami). While at anchor we get a flow through breeze and the fans can be on "low" speed or off. In the marina where it is hotter we have them on "high" speed. In either case the current draw is very low (less than two amps when running them on high, total). (When I do a delivery on someone else's yacht I take a Hella Turbo that I can install for my own cooling)

This is in addition to an 8000BTU window air conditioner which we can use when on shore power.

If you are going to live on board in the tropics, in the summertime, do not underestimate the need for fans. (today the temperature is 90 degrees, humidity 70%). Small USB fans will not cut it, and in our case, no air conditioner also does not cut it.
Old 16-08-2021, 15:28   #67
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
For living aboard in a HOT and HUMID place you need to move a lot of air and you need it nearly full time. That really means mounted and hard wired.

We have 8 mounted and wired Hella Turbo 12v fans (and we have 4 spares). Most often 4-6 of them are running all day, every day. To live aboard in Mexico they are essential (about like Miami). While at anchor we get a flow through breeze and the fans can be on "low" speed or off. In the marina where it is hotter we have them on "high" speed. In either case the current draw is very low (less than two amps when running them on high, total). (When I do a delivery on someone else's yacht I take a Hella Turbo that I can install for my own cooling)

This is in addition to an 8000BTU window air conditioner which we can use when on shore power.

If you are going to live on board in the tropics, in the summertime, do not underestimate the need for fans. (today the temperature is 90 degrees, humidity 70%). Small USB fans will not cut it, and in our case, no air conditioner also does not cut it.

90 degrees F hah , it got up to 116 here for a while.
Old 16-08-2021, 15:32   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
90 degrees F hah , it got up to 116 here for a while.
I think that would be amazing, and hard to manage. If you're staying on your boat, then congratulations.
Old 16-08-2021, 16:00   #69
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I think that would be amazing, and hard to manage. If you're staying on your boat, then congratulations.

It’s was unbearable

Fans made no difference
Old 16-08-2021, 16:06   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s was unbearable

Fans made no difference
In the hottest place we ever stayed, in the Sea of Cortez, all summer, we resorted to "spritz" bottles and sprayed ourselves with fresh water. "I'll spray you if you spray me". Then the fans actually did some good, sort of a "swamp cooler".

No where else in the world that we have been was as hot, but the humidity was lower. However, in several places, such as Singapore, was bad, year 'round but in the marina's we had air cond.
Old 16-08-2021, 16:23   #71

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have used, over the years, Hella products--9 one a 2 speed, one a one speed, an oscillating 3 speed fan from a cheap car store like Grand Auto, and Caframo 2 speed 2 blades.

My preference after all this experimentation is the Caframo 2 speed ones. They are noisy on high, but when you need the extra ventilation, by golly it is there. My main reason for my preference is that they are so much easier to keep clean. I have to use a toothbrush to clean the Hella, and it takes a while, working over my head and trying to catch all the dust and keep it off the bed. It's doable, but a pain.

Ann
Old 16-08-2021, 18:48   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We have used, over the years, Hella products--9 one a 2 speed, one a one speed, an oscillating 3 speed fan from a cheap car store like Grand Auto, and Caframo 2 speed 2 blades.

My preference after all this experimentation is the Caframo 2 speed ones. They are noisy on high, but when you need the extra ventilation, by golly it is there. My main reason for my preference is that they are so much easier to keep clean. I have to use a toothbrush to clean the Hella, and it takes a while, working over my head and trying to catch all the dust and keep it off the bed. It's doable, but a pain.

Ann
Caframo sirocco 2 hands down best fan.

Best $8 you will ever spend for boat cleaning. You do have a vacuum on board right?
https://www.amazon.com/EZ-SPARES-Attachment-Keyboard-Cleaning/dp/B077T88SP1/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=EZ+SPARES+7PCS+Micro+ Vacuum&qid=1629164901&sr=8-2
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 18:52   #73

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@ Caleb,

Nope, I do not have a vacuum, but i can see how one would help.

Ann
Old 17-08-2021, 08:05   #74

Can anyone tell me the spacing of the base mounting holes on the Hella Turbo fans (distance between two holes on the base)? I'm replacing these with Caframo 757's and hoping the spacing is the same. Boat is in Mexico, so I can't measure. Thanks
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 08:39   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Can anyone tell me the spacing of the base mounting holes on the Hella Turbo fans (distance between two holes on the base)? I'm replacing these with Caframo 757's and hoping the spacing is the same. Boat is in Mexico, so I can't measure. Thanks
Don
There is some latitude but 1.5" is about right.

Tags
cabin