Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-08-2021, 09:06   #76

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Best Cabin Fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@ Caleb,

Nope, I do not have a vacuum, but i can see how one would help.

Ann
Sucks for you... hehe
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 09:08   #77
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Practical Sailor did some long-term tests, running them 24/7 until they dropped. Also a USB fan that worked pretty well (most are too small).

I've had Boras and Turbos. Two of the Turbos started smoking and shooting sparks, so no thanks. The Boras are also quieter.

I also like the Caframo Ultimate. It moves more air with less noise. BUT, you must place it where the blade cannot hit anything and secure it so that it cannot fall over. I made a 5" wooden base and put rubber on the bottom. I use it as a portable table fan.

And I have one of the USB fans. VERY quiet, I use it for sleeping and moving air past the heater.
Old 17-08-2021, 09:32   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalina c 400

i own catalina 400 been to islands Caribbean from ny ten winters i went to wally world wal mart bought 10 standard auto fans that oscillate 12 bucks they are all quiet still running low voltage for price of hella b uy 5 of these tony
apozun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 21:26   #79

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

I got a cordless bucket mister that works pretty good in the cockpit, but I don’t think I’d do it down below Battery lasts along time too. I’m looking for a 12 volt one…

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...JgZdA&usqp=CAU
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:34   #80

Boat: Bene 42CC

Does anyone know of a small 12V fan that would be suitable for use in the head? Caframo Kona is "weatherproof" but not inexpensive. The others leave me concerned about high humidity/splash from shower. Is Kona the only water resistant motor available?
Hhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 18:55   #81

Boat: Allied Seawind II

Interesting... I checked Caframo/Seekr and you are correct for their line. And the Kona is only IP55 at that.

I prefer the Ultimates and also the Scirocco II is great (except my Scirocco seems to have developed a habit of turning on under weather on her own). But I may need to try a Kona now too.
rsvmille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 19:10   #82

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I had a Kona on my old boat, and out of all the Caframo models it was noticeably more robust and better built with the aluminum motor housing, however it still was sub-par. I still have yet to find a good, hard hitting fan that is quiet and easy to clean. I have decided to go away with a hardwired 12V fan and go with portable, yet still mountable, lithium ion fans from Amazon. I am on a brand now called "Beskar" which makes quiet little rechargeable fans that you can still clip, hang, or mount. Charge with USB. Makes more sense to me than a loud 12v that just runs down the house bank.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:57   #83

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Interesting to hear about the Beskar battery/USB fans. Seems like a good solution.

I found a USB-powered "personal" fan in the bargain aisle at WalMart last year. For under $6 I figured I'd take a chance. It turns out it works great. Far more powerful than I would have expected. You don't even need to put it right in front of you. Across the cabin there's still a noticeable effect. We went back and bought four more, including one to give to a friend who had come aboard and loved it, too! WalMart still sells them here, although I see similar ones on Amazon, too.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:03   #84

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We've had 5 Caframo/Seekr Scirroco IIs fail. They get replaced eventually under warranty. It was too hot this summer in Grenada to wait on the warranty replacement, so we put Caframo Ultimates in the Salon. We prefer the Ultimates - easy to clean and no corrosion on the chrome.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 13:01   #85

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We have Caframo Sirocco fans in the berths and galley. Couldn't decide where to mount in the saloon, so added a base made of starboard, and an 18 ft cord with Marinco cig lighter plug on the end. Used an extension cord for the wire - pliable and lays well. Some non-skid on the bottom. Works out well as can move thru the boat, use to clear fogged window, position just right for card night, even into the head if needed.

We also had one of the large Endless Breeze fans which was fairly-low current draw and large output, but it was large to store. Left it in the last boat when we sold it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_175332.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	251005   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_175339.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	251006  

sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags