Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 09:05   #31

Boat: Oceanis 45
Re: A question for the Florida-dislikers????

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
There is a very cruiser friendly marine supply store in Miami. It even has a dinghy dock so you don't need a car to get to it.
Good to know. Do you mind sharing the location?
Myknjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 09:16   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myknjul View Post
Good to know. Do you mind sharing the location?

Hopkins-Carter Marine Supply and Fishing Tackle
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 10:29   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post

People who are stopped multiple times and not fined or charged with a crime are the innocent ones, Sailorboy.
Didn't say they weren't. But they are doing something to get attention.
Old 14-03-2016, 10:43   #34

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Didn't say they weren't. But they are doing something to get attention.
Her's a link to a site called www.Youtube.com. Try typing in "police harassment" That should help clear things up.
mr336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 10:55   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianB View Post
I hear alot of folks saying negative about their experiences in Florida. Things like they are "treated badly" etc. What are some specific examples. We are planning on moving our boat to the Keys and although we havent been there yet via boat, we found the people extremely friendly and laidback everywhere we went in the keys both in the tourist traps and in the backsteet bars etc. Now, we didnt do alot of visiting at really high price places although we did stay with a friend on Duck Key which is pretty pricey environment and we again found most folks to be welcoming. Everyone knew we lived on a boat but we didnt find any prejudice towards us. Just trying to find some specifics of bad treatment people are experiencing.
I have only made one trip. Cape Coral around Key West and up to Nettles Island. took the ditch back the Ft. Myers.

I was never treated with anything but respect. To the point of laying over a night, at a fuel dock, for nada. I think maybe some of the criticism is over done.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:36   #36

This is my 5th winter in Boot Key City Marina Moorings.

Everybody is friendly with the exception of the few, who never are.

Most of the marine police complaints come from those who don't comply, or feel that law and order is only needed when thing go bad with them.

If the cops don't come in and stuff is stolen, they complain that there is no cops.

If they patrol, lookout, there out to get us.

Most of Key West marinas and moorings are fine. Out in the anchorage, it's like the wild west. That area is patroled by the state, since it is outside the city limits.

Last year we spent a west in Key West. Our dock neighbors and anyone else we dealt with were friendly.

Over in the anchorage, boaters on the VHF, calling for help because the nearby boat shot a flare at him for being to close.

The anchorage is full of derelict boats, laying on there sides. It is a shame.

No problems in Titusville, Daytona, Miami, St Augustine, St Pete, or any place we have stopped.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:49   #37
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr336 View Post
Her's a link to a site called www.Youtube.com. Try typing in "police harassment" That should help clear things up.
Why? YouTube isn't even close to the pillar of truth!
Old 14-03-2016, 11:55   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
This is my 5th winter in Boot Key City Marina Moorings.

Everybody is friendly with the exception of the few, who never are.

Most of the marine police complaints come from those who don't comply, or feel that law and order is only needed when thing go bad with them.

If the cops don't come in and stuff is stolen, they complain that there is no cops.

If they patrol, lookout, there out to get us.

Most of Key West marinas and moorings are fine. Out in the anchorage, it's like the wild west. That area is patroled by the state, since it is outside the city limits.

Last year we spent a west in Key West. Our dock neighbors and anyone else we dealt with were friendly.

Over in the anchorage, boaters on the VHF, calling for help because the nearby boat shot a flare at him for being to close.

The anchorage is full of derelict boats, laying on there sides. It is a shame.

No problems in Titusville, Daytona, Miami, St Augustine, St Pete, or any place we have stopped.
I think you may have summed it up. With the derelicts. I can see property owners not wanting that. Not being derelict does not seem to cause you a problem. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 12:14   #39

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

There were fours types of driver on the Miami roads. There was me, tourists who don't know where they are going, kids who don't care where they are going as long as it's fast and geriatrics who cannot remember where they were going and are going too slow to get anywhere. Aren't you glad I dumped the car when I moved onto the boat.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 12:19   #40
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

The onl;y negative experiences I have ever had in Florida is from some landbound natives in the high tourist season.
And the Keys, not even then.
Don't overthink it and go.
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 13:26   #41

Boat: Hunter 420
Re: A question for the Florida-dislikers?

I would pass if I were you on Florida......Alligators, hurricanes, mosquitoes, bad schools, bad drivers, bad water, water police, lightning storms, sinkholes, polluted beaches, high taxes, roaches every where, sun damage to your skin, expensive mooring and slips, high insurance, crowded restaurants etc…it’s a nightmare here…don’t come. Doug-native Floridian...........just kidding I love it here.
Old 14-03-2016, 13:26   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've been a owner of a Florida registered boat for more than 55 years and living aboard with a Florida home port for 44 years. I have anchored multiple times from Tarpon Springs north of Tampa, down through the Keys and up the east coast to the Florida-Georgia line at locations no more than 35 miles apart and sometimes for as long as three months in one location.

Once in the 1980's I was given a citation for a registration decal that had expired while I was in the Bahamas and once about ten years ago I was asked by a Florida Wildlife officer to slow down when I was operating my dinghy in the harbor of the Saint Augustine City Marina. I've never been boarded by any official in Florida and no one has ever approached me with any question about my anchoring.

Over 55 years of boating in Florida and not enough interaction with authorities to have much of an opinion. Maybe things will pick up and I'll have something to say later.
Old 14-03-2016, 13:27   #43

Boat: Albin A25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post
Although if they just drove home "yellow line on the left, white on the right" these traffic problems would decrease.

Florida drivers are definitely the worst in the USA. The combination of old people who have lost vision and motor skills along with the guy next to you that got his first car and license at 35 yrs old (last week) is a recipe for disaster on the roads.
There is a big difference between "Florida Drivers" and "Snow Bird Refugees" who drive in Florida.
Srqdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 13:50   #44

Boat: ODay 322

Read Carl Hiasson. :-)
naitaka322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 13:58   #45

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post
Although if they just drove home "yellow line on the left, white on the right" these traffic problems would decrease.

Florida drivers are definitely the worst in the USA. The combination of old people who have lost vision and motor skills along with the guy next to you that got his first car and license at 35 yrs old (last week) is a recipe for disaster on the roads.
Don't forget the huge number of snowbirds driving around gawking & half lost-especially us Canadians!!

Cheers/Len

Tags
florida