Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2016, 10:22   #61

Re: A question for the Florida-dislikers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
Florida as a whole is crooked, corrupt..lotta favoritism for some as well as discrimination/less than fair dealing for others..that's just florida and the south...it's acceptable and not gonna change.
Florida is one of seven states that I've lived in. Yeah, Florida has more corruption/favoritism than some, but a whole lot less than others. You think Florida is bad? Try living in Chicago!
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 10:37   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

My experiences have been positive, from Biscayne Bay, to Stuart, the ICW, and the west coast. My boat was docked two berths down from Mark's dreaded Toilet Police (actually FWC), and I asked them to do a courtesy inspection on my boat, as I didn't want any infractions out on the water. They did, found nothing wrong except a suggestion how to better lock the valve and we spent some time BSing about their job.

I've had a LOT of interaction at all levels with the fish cops back home, so we discussed the similarity and differences of the different enforcement challenges. They were nothing but professional. They have a job to do, and as long as we as sailors understand their job, and the rules that apply to us, there should be no problems. That doesn't mean we may agree with all the rules, but then it is up to us to try and lobby to change them. (Yes, some of them should be in a different profession, we get that).

Such as HB 1051. You can see the latest, and lobby against it, here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2072619

Of course, some here will support it, and everyone's perspective is different.
Old 15-03-2016, 11:41   #63

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~
Re: A question for the Florida-dislikers????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post
Florida drivers are definitely the worst in the USA. The combination of old people who have lost vision and motor skills along with the guy next to you that got his first car and license at 35 yrs old (last week) is a recipe for disaster on the roads.
I agree! I've never been honked at or given the one finger salute so much in my life. But, I'm guessing that it's not the natives but the transplants from the NE. Perhaps, they just can't slow down and enjoy life down here. In Montana (where I'm from), we never experienced stuff like that.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 12:32   #64

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidSheeleen View Post
Being a Florida native all my life 72 yrs and a coastal "water baby", driving a dingy at age 5, I have never had a problem with the Law Enforcement Agencies be they Staties, or Coasties. During the winter (Oct-April) our population more then doubles in the state. A lot of nasty attitude folks come down here to tell us all winter the way they do things at home. Hear it on a daily basis. I'm sure attitude plays a large part in a vessel inspection. These LE patrols are doing the public a great service with the inspections and boating violations, keeping a safe boating environment for the majority. "Back home" is back home, yer in Florida now. Be safe and bring more money next year and keep Florida $Green.
AMEN. I'm 61 and was born and raised in St. Augustine. We welcomed visitors always - after all, tourism is the industry in St. Auggy! I too ran into the visitors who felt compelled to tell us how much better their life was "back home" and how we could "fix" St Augustine. We would smile and thank them for coming and hope they enjoyed their stay.

Our next door neighbor had on several occasions woke up to find someone tied up at his dock on the ICW, and in one instance a woman was stark naked using his dockside shower! When he addressed her, she cursed him, shot him the finger and said that he should mark his "Effing" property as No Trespassing if he didn't expect boaters to use it. Really? Because that's the way you did it back home? Nice, yes please visit more often. NOT.

We never had problems with the Marine Patrol in the ICW or St Augustine at all. I guess it was because we didn't draw attention to us and we complied with safety requirements and registration.

I traveled a LOT in my life on business and for fun and I always tried to treat my new "hosts" the same way I would like to be treated. I think that if you have an attitude, you elicit an attitude. Just my humble opinion, but it has served me fairly well. There are a lot of guys with badges who think they are big stuff. True enough. I just say, "Yes officer. Thanks." and go on. Big mouths get big tickets some times, or worse.
Old 15-03-2016, 12:52   #65

Boat: 1977 New Bombay Trading Co. Pilot 31'

Quote:
Love this thread!!!

First, the florida boaters greeting to others boaters seems to be the bird...don't take it personal, people in Florida on their boats are like people on opionionated FB types, or even the trolls who love to argue on this site cuz they read something they didn't like LOL...bored people wanting to express themselves and stir it up cuz they are bored!

Liveaboards who live in mooring fields/anchorages IMO are the worst florida boaters commonly known as "boat people" LOL
Mooring people tend to look down on "anchorage people" as a sub species of Boat people but they're all one in the same, cheap and usually without means..

Also, Boat people typically cuz they don't cruise much less boat/sail...like ever??? I had boats in Boot Key Harbor FL and had neighbors who never boated in all the time I was there, and don't get me started on the down masted vessels LOL, many Boat. People just live on a boat instead of ashore

again, worst I've seen in Florida is specifically city marina marathon florida this twin boat person boasts about (yet admits how corrupt it is?) dock master there is beyond corrupt kicked out people local boat people group dint like just because, yet looks the other way at those committing crimes, breaking marina rules..funny how many people I seen kicked outta city marina marathon as well as how many move their boat to a dock at another marina...boat people of city marina like to fight for power and control no no end, has a jail mentality there, quit ghetto!

Cruising florida is fun, but being a liveaboard not cruising, not fun...you get caught up in boat people/culture mentality, too many hungry people exploiting/back stabbing others, and one day you'll be sitting there and realize "I'm keeping company with sociopaths" and you'll leave or maybe not?
I guess we are gonna be those sociopaths, then. We will more than likely be there awhile maybe forever. We do sail our boat but we also live aboard. When were in the Keys (not by boat) we found the local "boat people" as you call them to be friendly. I came from what might be called a bit of a rough background so maybe I just fit in that crowd to some degree. Coming from Mississippi and having lived in New Orleans for several years, corruption and "ghetto" mentality nothing new to me. May find out differently once we are there awhile. Hopefully not.
SebastianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 13:25   #66
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

Liveaboards who live in mooring fields/anchorages IMO are the worst florida boaters commonly known as "boat people" LOL
Mooring people tend to look down on "anchorage people" as a sub species of Boat people but they're all one in the same, cheap and usually without means..
The 300+ people and myself on moorings in my home harbor are suffering hurt feelings now . Isn't that against the forum rules.
Old 15-03-2016, 13:29   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Florida is a very large and diverse state. It's big enough to make some choices. Some people may think that they might judge the nature of the state by what they find in Miami, Marathon or Orlando. Ironically, you'll likely not meet anyone from Florida in these places. Of course Orlando is not on the coast, but I never stop in Miami or Marathon when cruising except maybe an overnight anchorage. I have not gone into Boot Key Harbor or Key West in about 20 years. I never understand why people who have the freedom on a sailboat would want to cluster together. You won't find us in Georgetown, Exuma any more either.

Vero Beach mooring field is too crowded for me too and also without many from Florida, but it's good for a few days to provision.

Places like Fernandina, St. John's River, St. Augustine, Daytona, New Smyrna, Titusville, Cocoa Beach, Stuart, Old Fort Lauderdale up the New River, Key Largo, Tavernier, Bonita Springs, Caya Costa, Fort Myers, Gulfport, Sarasota, Venice, Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater, Tarpon Springs, St. Marks, Destin, Panama City, and Pensacola are far better choices than where most people tend to cluster.
Old 15-03-2016, 13:31   #68

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianB View Post
I guess we are gonna be those sociopaths, then. We will more than likely be there awhile maybe forever. We do sail our boat but we also live aboard. When were in the Keys (not by boat) we found the local "boat people" as you call them to be friendly. I came from what might be called a bit of a rough background so maybe I just fit in that crowd to some degree. Coming from Mississippi and having lived in New Orleans for several years, corruption and "ghetto" mentality nothing new to me. May find out differently once we are there awhile. Hopefully not.
You can fit in with anyone. I've liked the rich and the poor working class. I just don't like the near do wells with a big ego. To be egotistic I could buy.

Boat people have been about the best I've known. Do I dislike the blow hards you bet . JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 13:38   #69
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The 300+ people and myself on moorings in my home harbor are suffering hurt feelings now . Isn't that against the forum rules.
BTW - I don't really have any issue with being a sociopath
Old 15-03-2016, 13:41   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I have not gone into Boot Key Harbor or Key West in about 20 years. I never understand why people who have the freedom on a sailboat would want to cluster together. You won't find us in Georgetown, Exuma any more either.
My reason for the keys is fairly simple. Its the furthest south (and warmest) I can get and still be in the continental US. And I really liked it when we were there.
Old 15-03-2016, 13:51   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianB View Post
My reason for the keys is fairly simple. Its the furthest south (and warmest) I can get and still be in the continental US. And I really liked it when we were there.
I love the Keys! 'love them enough that I'm not going to be jammed into a crowd in Boot Key or Key West. The 3.5' draft on your Bombay Pilot 31' opens up a lot of the Keys for you and the Keys don't end at Key West either,- that's just where the road ends!
Old 15-03-2016, 13:59   #72

Well everyone is different. I actually like harbor life as does my wife. Of course we will eventually see many places int he keys as we are avid day/weekend sailors but we have to have a convenient home base and BKH fits that. I will for some time be flying back to New Orleans for work two weeks at a time so that also means my wife will be happier in a crowd than isolated while I am gone. One of the things I like is the crowded harbor life is there but its as simple as turning the lines loose and going sailing to have some solitude. I like both worlds.
Old 15-03-2016, 14:04   #73

And, yes that 3.5' draft will be great down there! I forget how great it is until someone starts talking about how shallow a place gets and then I say.."uh I only draft 3.5' and they change their tune. LOL
Old 15-03-2016, 14:38   #74
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Florida is a very large and diverse state. It's big enough to make some choices. Some people may think that they might judge the nature of the state by what they find in Miami, Marathon or Orlando. Ironically, you'll likely not meet anyone from Florida in these places. Of course Orlando is not on the coast, but I never stop in Miami or Marathon when cruising except maybe an overnight anchorage. I have not gone into Boot Key Harbor or Key West in about 20 years. I never understand why people who have the freedom on a sailboat would want to cluster together. You won't find us in Georgetown, Exuma any more either.

Vero Beach mooring field is too crowded for me too and also without many from Florida, but it's good for a few days to provision.

Places like Fernandina, St. John's River, St. Augustine, Daytona, New Smyrna, Titusville, Cocoa Beach, Stuart, Old Fort Lauderdale up the New River, Key Largo, Tavernier, Bonita Springs, Caya Costa, Fort Myers, Gulfport, Sarasota, Venice, Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater, Tarpon Springs, St. Marks, Destin, Panama City, and Pensacola are far better choices than where most people tend to cluster.

As one of the dozen or so native Floridians left, I have to agree with the above. I don't even go down to Miami unless I have to. But stop in Fort Lauderdale, anybody can look me up. I'll show you what real Floridian hospitality is. Also, up the New River is a great place and you still get a feel of how old Florida used to be.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
(954) 515-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 15:45   #75
CLOD

Quote:

It's Ok, I know you're beyond bored from being a boat person in city marina marathon for five yrs...
Not very smart to poke sociopaths

Tags
florida