Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08   #31

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: 3 Weeks...

Many thanks, D... what an F**king nightmare!! State government has destroyed a vibrant and healthy lifestyle through regulation and squeezing out the little guy! I guess growing old and entering 'geezer' time has its benefits. I couldn't live under the jackboot of CA laws. What is a young couple to do if they choose to follow that lifestyle?
Perhaps it's because I grew up in a time when you had a responsibility to look after yourself and your neighbors and care for the environment from which you earned your living and fed yourself. I was a 'liveaboard' in the northern PNW long before the word was invented. We lived in float camps, towboats, fishboats and the occasional shore camp but always kept our living quarters clean and buried our trash even back in the late 40's and 50's.
Now when I go to town, I take my Glock 23 and a few extra mags just to buy milk or pick up my mail! How times have changed! I appreciate you taking the time to outline the current laws to me... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:37   #32

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I too lived aboard at the foot of the Islandia Hotel in Misson Bay. Fat chance of that now. Use to motor over to sea world and watch the seal shows from the boat. Also had pool and hot rights at the hotel with guest towels. With a decent restaurant over looking the Marina.
Those were the daze.
Old 05-08-2014, 13:25   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldr View Post
I am thinking just some clothes, pots n pans, cooking supplies, and some essential tools of my trade. What tools are most needed on a boat? Like i have a little 3 gal.compressor I'm thinking may be nice to have. The issue is we only have a mini van to travel in. I didn't really want to get a trailer, although it does have a roof Rack. Like SV said, the idea is to travel light.
Forget the compressor. Basic mechanics tools: wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, vise grips, etc. Electrical tools: meter, GOOD crimping tool. Will the boat interior need work? If yes, bring carpentry tools. If you have a good respirator bring that if you will be doing any glass work or anything making bad fumes.

Definitely need cooking stuff so unless the boat is well equipped bring your favorite pots, pans and such. Even if the boat has pots and pans unless it was a liveaboard it's probably filled with seconds and junk.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote