Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 10:30   #16

Re: 3 Weeks...

Think thoroughly what you will need on the boat. keep your basic tools, drill etc. Keep tupperware type of stuff. If you have pans that will store well, keep two saucepans and a fry pan. keep your best two or three knives. etc etc etc. No point in rebuying everything at a high cost. A lot of this stuff will fit in your car. the pacific water is cold so keep foulies, sweaters etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:49   #17

Boat: Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Since your getting in your car and driving, why not head east instead? Lots more sailing, anchoring, liveaboard, cruising, and boats for sale on the east coast. JMHO.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
hurricane season
Although i am hoping to take some classes and by next spring be proficient enough a sailor to go down through the canal and spend the summer in the Caribbean.
Soldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 19:01   #18

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Pressure cooker. Good kitchen knives. Nice bath towels. Everything else is superfluous

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 13-07-2014, 21:48   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To me, it would be improvident to throw out stuff for the galley and eating on, and then have to buy new.

On our boat, I use Corelle dishes, but the deal is you really don't have to have plastic, and you can use real glasses, too. If you're or the gf are fond of your dinner plates, bring 'em. Salvation Army and the like can provide new ones (to you) if they break. The deal is just to be careful with the stowage.

A 30 footer -- depending on the boat itself -- may be quite adequate for coastal cruising in Calif. So Cal is warmer and less challenging sailing than Northern Ca. There are some folks who did a month long Atlantic crossing on a 26 footer earlier this year. They had two crew. They have now decided they want something in the 35-36 foot range. They were really crowded with 4 on that boat! and they want to have crew.

You'll want some kind of wet weather gear, too. Think like you're going camping for 3 months. It'll work out.

Ann
Old 20-07-2014, 19:51   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Whatever you can't fit in the van doesn't need to go to the boat.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 11:47   #21

Started our estate sale. We're doing pretty well. Sold my 48" flat screen, $h!t just got real! Lol. We're getting more and more exited with every passing day.
Old 22-07-2014, 11:55   #22

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Congratulations!

We are right behind you. We have just put off until August so that we can entertain my mother for her birthday without being in the middle of moving.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-07-2014, 12:20   #23

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

You might consider settling in San Diego or Ensenada, MX if you have 'Zony' friends who you like to see often. It's about a 6-8 hour drive as I recall. Just keep the quality galley stuff, a few small tools (battery powered, if possible) and light clothes. Lots of good quality used marine stuff at places like Minnies around... enjoy! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:11   #24

Estate sale was a fair success. I was hoping to sell a little more, but the DAV loves me. The van is all loaded and we begin our 2 week trek to California.
Old 03-08-2014, 16:35   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Enjoy the trip!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 17:36   #26

Boat: Coast 34

Here's how we did it, with just about everything we owned. Put clothes, etc, on the dock, chose which ones went on board, had a dock sale for the rest. Toward the end we were down to the stuff we really loved. Those things we chose to give away to friends. Our boat is 34' for the two of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	86067  
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 22:58   #27

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

My question is do you already have the boat and liveaboard slip? If not you better get it before giving everything up. There are not many liveaboard slips left in CA except the run down mud holes that are rotting away.

Livaboards are limited by law here in CA. You need to do your research first.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hey, delmarrey... Lived aboard in San Diego for many years and hadn't realized that there were legal restrictions to the number of liveaboards in a marina. i thought it was sort of rule of thumb and charge whatever the market would bear. There were about 10% living aboard in San Diego at the time but it increased up to over 20% in summer months. Interesting how the law seems to intrude into every aspect of life in the state. Glad We no longer live there! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:56   #29

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldr View Post
Estate sale was a fair success. I was hoping to sell a little more, but the DAV loves me. The van is all loaded and we begin our 2 week trek to California.
Keep us updated- sounds like you have yet to purchase the boat, find a slip or mooring. A couple questions if you don't mind-
1. will you be finding work 1st off as a plumber or have you saved up to avoid that?
2. What is your price range for a boat?
3. Do you have a size, name brand, type of boat in mind?
4. What is your sailing experience?
5. What caused your desire to live aboard?
6. Have you started a blog to document your journey?
7. What books have you read or research did you do before setting out?

I ask all of these becuase hubby and I are at the beginning of our plan- we also had a huge yard sale the last 3 weekends and today everything that didn't sell was taken to St. Vincent DePaul. We are working to pay off all debt. Sailing lessons start end of Sept. Just wondering how others came to this and what they're doing as well.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 21:05   #30

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hey, delmarrey... Lived aboard in San Diego for many years and hadn't realized that there were legal restrictions to the number of liveaboards in a marina. i thought it was sort of rule of thumb and charge whatever the market would bear. There were about 10% living aboard in San Diego at the time but it increased up to over 20% in summer months. Interesting how the law seems to intrude into every aspect of life in the state. Glad We no longer live there! Phil
Quote:
In California, and especially in coastal towns, municipal ordinances abound from San Diego to San Jose to San Francisco. A representative example is illustrative. Except as otherwise permitted, no vessel shall be moored, anchored, grounded, placed or otherwise located in any waterway for a period exceeding 96 hours. It further provides that a houseboat or liveaboard may only be moored only to the extent allowed by law, at a permitted marina-provided the vessel is moored in compliance with all applicable permit conditions imposed on the marina and in compliance with applicable federal and state laws, i.e. the houseboat or liveaboard has to be equipped with an operable approved sanitation device and capable of self-propelled navigation, for example. Same goes for being moored at a permitted dock.
The Laws of Living Aboard And how they affect your state's lakes | Houseboat Magazine

And read: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-119765.html