Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 02:15   #46
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: 10.5 Month Budget $$

Talking of budget, this is the best app I've found to keep an eye on things with the ability to track budgets & projects.''
Expense IQ Money Manager

Bad news though, according to this thread I've been living in abject poverty on and off for years.....

Good news is it's great fun , and the criteria has long been not what others think or do but if you wake up optimistic & go to bed thinking that was a good day then things are just fine, as opposed to what anyone else thinks or does, that's down to them and judging just doesn't actually change the universe in any way apart from maybe making people grumpy so why bother?

Not quite the whole picture though, Portugal must be one of the cheaper places around to live really well without spending much, great food down the market for very little, eating out a menu del dia with the fishermen in a cheap cafe for 3 1/2 euros , as good a meal as restaurants 5 times the price. Decent wine for a euro a litre.
Lift out & sand blast needed soon so that will add a couple K in a fishing boatyard, but still poverty stricken by many standards, who knew it could be so much fun
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:08   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You aren't doing much cruising dude. What, you went to the Bahamas and then came back to a marina? Wow. So now you dis 95% of everybody?
I didn't dis anyone.

The past 10 months I spent 21 days at a marina slip, where did you not cruise to the past 10 months?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:24   #48

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The past 10 months I spent 21 days at a marina slip, where did you not cruise to the past 10 months?
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 19:36   #49
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
So,........................... I'm a rich a-hole yachtie

Hey, I guess I'm rich and a yachtie

Take that you fun suckers!!!
Rich is the 90' M/Y that took on 2770 gallons of diesel. One nights dockage plus fuel was over $6200.00. In reality, a 90 footer is small in todays cruising world. Go visit Thunderbolt Marine in S.C., or hang out in St. Martin... I'm convinced that anyone can find a way to cruise, whether your budget is $500.00/month or $50,000.00/month. It just depends on your net worth.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 19:46   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
10.5 Month Budget $$

I think Thunderbolt is on the Ga side, it is a VFR reporting point for Hunter Army Airfield.
But yes there is a yard there that refits "Yachts" you know the ones with helicopter landing pads on the deck.
We would fly over and they apparently had a dry dock, with a huge hangar like tent that goes over the Yachts. I think it may have been on railroad tracks.
Also in Savannah is the Gulstream plant where they build the new G650 among other toys.
The 650 starts at 65 million without paint and interior and they have a backlog years long. Want one? Put a boat load of money down and wait years, or I'm sure pay a whole lot more and get one tomorrow.

Once you own it, it's a deal though, only about $5,000 an hour to fly

On edit, I just looked on Google Earth, they yard is just south of the bridge over Wilmington river, it's not a tent either, but what look like a large aircraft hanger, looks like railroad tracks that they move the boats on to put them inside of the building
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 20:41   #51
RTB

Right, in Savannah. Sorry for the mis-information.

Ralph
Old 13-08-2017, 14:18   #52
CLOD

We've left the marina the last couple of days. Went sightseeing a little, took our daughter out to dinner, went to Home Depot for some boat stuff, went to Walmart and got oil for the various boat engines and got groceries while there. That adds up to about $350 with 4 days of the budget month left. Ooooooh the pressure as I really wanted that cheap bicycle!
Old 13-08-2017, 19:20   #53
RTB

Good for you getting off the reservation (away form the marina as we like to say -being full time liveaboards here). Go for the cheap bike. I'll buy it off you when you leave...and I don't buy anything that doesn't fit on my boat. I took the purple (marina) bike with orange wheels out for a trip today. Nice ride! The purple and the yellow bikes are the best marina bikes, but everyone that has been here awhile knows that. So, hard to find sometimes.

"I" street will take you to West Marine and Winn Dixie. I wouldn't steer left of I street, and you are pushing your luck there. I keep a few dollars handy for the locals, so they know me. Once, I even got asked "if I was homeless too"? Gotta blend in!

Ralph
Old 13-08-2017, 19:46   #54

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Once, I even got asked "if I was homeless too"? Gotta blend in!
Ha! The ultimate qualification as a grotty yotty... be accepted in the village under the freeway bridge!

Good one, Ralph!

Jim
Old 14-08-2017, 05:35   #55
CLOD

[QUOTE=RTB;2455935. Once, I even got asked "if I was homeless too"? Gotta blend in!

Ralph[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have think that one over as whether it's a plus or minus around here.
Old 14-08-2017, 15:57   #56
CLOD

Well my wife went to stay with her Mom for a few days so she is ashore with access to a car and stores. Making it under budget this month is probably doomed now.
Old 14-08-2017, 17:24   #57

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I love how you said "probably".
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 12:55   #58
CLOD

Tomorrow the numbers will be final. What is the betting line odds so I can plan?
Old 17-08-2017, 13:48   #59

Boat: Various

Quote:
Tomorrow the numbers will be final. What is the betting line odds so I can plan?
Wifey B: Not about to bet you either way as you control the numbers.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 15:05   #60
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Not about to bet you either way as you control the numbers.
My control is over, it is now what it will be!

Tags
budget