Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 17:02   #31

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: *WARNING* Wells Cove Marine - Kent Narrows, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
I feel your pain - almost every time I've ever needed to pay someone to repair something - I come out with new repairs needed because of the previous "repairs." It's not particularly comforting that I'm not the only one..

I often run into the same scenario with fancy sewing machines which have been "serviced" by others who have no business touching them.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:11   #32

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I'm a big fan of giving such people a prompt and hearty "GFY, buddy."
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 07:27   #33

This guy was my ‘go to’ guy for any issue on my sailboat for more than 10 years. Showed up when he said he would, excellent workmanship and a nice guy.
Lundbar Marine
Pete Lunde
Cell 443-995-0220
Petelunde@gmail.com

He’s in Annapolis MD
bbsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 07:35   #34

Boat: 2004 Carolina Skiff 2180; Hobie 16, Laser, Club 420

Just because and insurance company approves a repair doesn't make the repair absolutely necessary in and of itself. Just saying.....
btexpres85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 09:41   #35

Perhaps a call to the marina owner is in order.
If you still are satisfied then I would add you comments to ActiveCaptain.com and to Dockwa (the reservation service)
joezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 10:19   #36

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

Hopefully all who are posting here about issues with marinas are also entering their comments in Active Captain.

That way the comments will be centralized to the specific marina and easily searchable.

Here it will get lost and forgotten.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 10:45   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
He is now just turbulent water in your wake. One can't control the actions or attitudes of others [or of many events that occur] but you always have complete control over how you react and respond. Chose wisely and don't ever let the bastards get you down.
Wise words. Other people are them, not you. It doesn't reflect upon you, or actually influence you at all, except for the temporary discomfort, which can be ignored.
deeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 11:42   #38

Boat: I have just purchased a 2009 49 Beneteau named Paradise II
Send a message via AIM to Big Moe Send a message via Yahoo to Big Moe

I am in Annapolis Landing Marina in Back Creek, Annapolis. We have a wonderful Marina and dock master. All the employees are courteous and helpful. I urge all of you to come to our marina if you need a transient or permanent slip. They also have a fuel dock. If you need any type of repairs just go a few yards down the creek to Bert Jabins. They will haul you and direct you to a good mechanic.
Big Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 12:34   #39

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan
He is now just turbulent water in your wake. One can't control the actions or attitudes of others [or of many events that occur] but you always have complete control over how you react and respond. Chose wisely and don't ever let the bastards get you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeper View Post
Wise words. Other people are them, not you. It doesn't reflect upon you, or actually influence you at all, except for the temporary discomfort, which can be ignored.
I agree - and also another way of looking at it - is that every minute spent thinking over the problem, after resolution, is a loss for you, and a win for the problem-causer. Learn what can be learned from it, have a good natured laugh, and get on to better things. New wisdom is the payoff.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 13:06   #40

Boat: Freedom 38

This is really great info. Hope people are also writing reviews (positive & critical) on Active Captain.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 20:47   #41

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
very good pionts here and these comments can damage the said companys, and I do believe every comment, but when do the companys get to rate the customer?....
with Uber the customer and the driver get a rating as well as AirBnB....
F**k Uber
Old 15-11-2019, 21:04   #42

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
In September 2018 I hit a log with my sailboat. I could tell that there was some damage below, but I was able to power back to my slip at a speed of about 6 kn without excessive vibration. When I went down below my boat with a mask and snorkel, I found out that I had sheared off the strut which held the driveshaft. My insurance company paid to have my boat towed to Fairview Marina on Rock Creek; and had an adjuster inspect my boat. However, Fairview said they could not do the job.

So I took my boat further on down Rock Creek to Oak Harbor Marina. Oak Harbor said they could do the job. After they took my boat out of the water and blocked it, John Clarke told me that in addition to the strut, my driveshaft was bent and I needed a new driveshaft. I explained to him that this was clearly wrong because I powered the boat at 6 kn without any excessive vibration, and if the driveshaft was bent, I would have had vibration so bad I could not have done 6 kn. John said he would not do the job unless I replaced the driveshaft. I felt I did not have any options because I did not want to chance having to go across the Patapsco River to another Marina without strut, and insurance was covering the repairs anyway.

After I picked up my boat I sent Oak Harbor Marina the following letter:

"Subject:
RE: Repair request
<...> (Add as Preferred Sender)
Date: Wed, Nov 14, 2018 9:09 am
To: "John and Chris" <oakharbormd@gmail.com>
John,

I was quite surprised to find when I picked up my boat, that it wasn't really finished yet; but I really had to get it back to my dock. There are three items that I would like you to send someone down to my dock to finish:

1) motor mounts. I don't know if the motor mounts need adjustment or weren't installed properly, but I now have more engine vibration than I ever felt before. It is almost as if there is no rubber in the mounts. It's not prop shaft vibration--that is silky smooth (good job).

2) transmission linkage. I thought you were going to repair this. The linkage is terribly out of adjustment--I could BARELY put it into gear. I am nonplussed and insulted that you thought that's the way it was before I brought it to you: first, because I told you it wasn't; and second because if it were anywhere near that bad, I would have asked you to repair it. I don't know why you are reluctant to take responsibility. You disassembled and moved everything around in the engine compartment, and charged me almost $2000 for it, and yet you cannot conceive of the possibility that the transmission linkage could have been knocked out of adjustment in the process?

3) muffler. The hose between the muffler and the engine is not a good fit and the muffler cannot stand up straight; but now it is almost horizontal. It needs to to be more vertical to properly work and prevent backflow flooding.

Yesterday, I sent you a check for $7700. I have withheld $246 which I will give to whoever you send to me to do the above repairs.

......."

After a number of communications where Oak Grove Marina said they would send someone out to finish the repairs, I ultimately had to hire Hild's Marine to finish the repairs (4/26/2019). Hild's Marine charged me $557.37 to finish those repairs (check number 313 paid on 5/07/2019).
So often we hear of disputes between tradesmen and boat owners over work done.

Mostly the boat owners were totally absent during the repairs.

I have a lot of confidence in most boatyards and tradesmen but still I stay around and supervise it daily. If you leave your boat then you must accept what they say. If you are there on site you watch it every day and you go over the boat after the repair with the yard manager and you say, What about this? What about that? You come to some understanding or compromise. Rarely, in my experience are they actually trying to cheat you. But if you care so little that you drive off and leave the boat with them and never come back until it is done and the insurance is ready to pay, then you have little chance of arguing about what they do, and honestly. I'd like to hear their side of the story.
Old 15-11-2019, 22:38   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
F**k Uber
What about rating this forum and it's participants? Here's a quality individual showing off his best right now, is this ok?
deeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 05:29   #44

Glenn Allen is a great diesel mechanic in Charleston, SC (843) 708-8011
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 04:01   #45

Boat: C&C 29 MkII 1983

Reporting the incident here is a first step. Even better, write a review on www.activecaptain.com
marcvilleneuve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine