Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50   #1

Boat: 1986 Bristol Channel Cutter
*WARNING* Wells Cove Marine - Kent Narrows, MD

We moored at the subject marina as part of a mini 4-day fall cruise a few weeks ago.

We found this marina was clean and well equipped. Floating docks were in great shape, restrooms/showers were clean.

However, the employee who was working there was among one of the rudest people we've ever come across. We were cautious and took our time docking in order to be careful around other boats (especially given we'd never been in here before) - he began yelling at us to hurry up. Upon docking I tried to disarm the situation by apologizing and asked if there was something I had done to upset him. His response was: "I'm gruff, it's how I am. If you don't like it, then just leave. Otherwise give me your money."

Unfortunately it was getting late and we did not have any other places to go for the evening, so we felt stuck - otherwise we definitely would have left.
Later, we heard him talking on the phone to someone else and he mentioned that when we called to reserve a slip he didn't realize we were a sailboat otherwise he would not have accepted the reservation.

Needless to say we were very disappointed, especially since it was a nice place. We'll obviously never moor here again and caution other sailboats to think twice before doing so.
MCilenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:51   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: *WARNING* Wells Cove Marine - Kent Narrows, MD

What a strange event! He was annoyed with himself for not asking in advance if the vessel was a sailboat and took it out on you. How silly of him. He must have been having a really bad day!

I'm sorry you had that to put up with. Maybe he is, too, now. It's odd how strongly such experiences affect us. We, too, have a place we'd only go in an emergency because the manager was very rude to us one time.

Ann
Old 02-11-2019, 12:42   #3

He is now just turbulent water in your wake. One can't control the actions or attitudes of others [or of many events that occur] but you always have complete control over how you react and respond. Chose wisely and don't ever let the bastards get you down.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 14:34   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

If he's the owner, should fire himself
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:23   #5
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

You did the right thing-- warning us. Speaking of which, avoid Oak Harbor Marina on Rock Creek Chesapeake Bay. They are not only rude, but thieves as well.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:41   #6

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I'm hopeful that bad behavior everywhere will lessen a bit as a result of internet reviews. In prior times, rudeness could be a sustainable business model, but now-a-days, word gets out easier. It's just important to leave accurate reviews - thanks for posting.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:53   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I would have been rude back to him. (Then probably kicked out)
Docking slow is a good thing..
Old 03-11-2019, 10:34   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

He probably hates sailboats because he doesn't sell fuel to them. Fuel sales is a big profit item for marinas.

I once docked in a marina with a strong tide current running across the finger docks. It took about four tries before I could match the current and get in. All with the marina worker standing by to take the lines. When I apologized for the delay he complimented me on my docking skills. That is a marina I would go to again if it wasn't on the opposite coast. Everyone there was friendly and helpful, even though they specialized in powerboats.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:41   #9

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
You did the right thing-- warning us. Speaking of which, avoid Oak Harbor Marina on Rock Creek Chesapeake Bay. They are not only rude, but thieves as well.
Can you be more specific? I’ve had my boat worked on there for nearly 20 years almost always great service and costs
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:49   #10

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

So I am hoping you talked to the owners/management about this guy.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:10   #11

In general, I don't think anyone is under an affirmative obligation to first ask to speak to the owners or management. It might help, or it may further invite a wrath of unpleasantness. I've seen such uncomfortable escalations lead to customers being shouted out of places, and also seen it the case that the actual owner is frequently who you are talking to. I don't mind such escalations personally, but many people are very averse to them. A business owner has a positive incentive to investigate the real-life customer service being provided, IMO. An accurate review of someone's experience is required for a free market, I think. It can certainly be abused however.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:48   #12
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman View Post
Can you be more specific? I’ve had my boat worked on there for nearly 20 years almost always great service and costs
In September 2018 I hit a log with my sailboat. I could tell that there was some damage below, but I was able to power back to my slip at a speed of about 6 kn without excessive vibration. When I went down below my boat with a mask and snorkel, I found out that I had sheared off the strut which held the driveshaft. My insurance company paid to have my boat towed to Fairview Marina on Rock Creek; and had an adjuster inspect my boat. However, Fairview said they could not do the job.

So I took my boat further on down Rock Creek to Oak Harbor Marina. Oak Harbor said they could do the job. After they took my boat out of the water and blocked it, John Clarke told me that in addition to the strut, my driveshaft was bent and I needed a new driveshaft. I explained to him that this was clearly wrong because I powered the boat at 6 kn without any excessive vibration, and if the driveshaft was bent, I would have had vibration so bad I could not have done 6 kn. John said he would not do the job unless I replaced the driveshaft. I felt I did not have any options because I did not want to chance having to go across the Patapsco River to another Marina without strut, and insurance was covering the repairs anyway.

After I picked up my boat I sent Oak Harbor Marina the following letter:

"Subject:
RE: Repair request
<...> (Add as Preferred Sender)
Date: Wed, Nov 14, 2018 9:09 am
To: "John and Chris" <oakharbormd@gmail.com>
John,

I was quite surprised to find when I picked up my boat, that it wasn't really finished yet; but I really had to get it back to my dock. There are three items that I would like you to send someone down to my dock to finish:

1) motor mounts. I don't know if the motor mounts need adjustment or weren't installed properly, but I now have more engine vibration than I ever felt before. It is almost as if there is no rubber in the mounts. It's not prop shaft vibration--that is silky smooth (good job).

2) transmission linkage. I thought you were going to repair this. The linkage is terribly out of adjustment--I could BARELY put it into gear. I am nonplussed and insulted that you thought that's the way it was before I brought it to you: first, because I told you it wasn't; and second because if it were anywhere near that bad, I would have asked you to repair it. I don't know why you are reluctant to take responsibility. You disassembled and moved everything around in the engine compartment, and charged me almost $2000 for it, and yet you cannot conceive of the possibility that the transmission linkage could have been knocked out of adjustment in the process?

3) muffler. The hose between the muffler and the engine is not a good fit and the muffler cannot stand up straight; but now it is almost horizontal. It needs to to be more vertical to properly work and prevent backflow flooding.

Yesterday, I sent you a check for $7700. I have withheld $246 which I will give to whoever you send to me to do the above repairs.

......."

After a number of communications where Oak Grove Marina said they would send someone out to finish the repairs, I ultimately had to hire Hild's Marine to finish the repairs (4/26/2019). Hild's Marine charged me $557.37 to finish those repairs (check number 313 paid on 5/07/2019).
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:00   #13

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Speaking of which, avoid Oak Harbor Marina on Rock Creek Chesapeake Bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canman View Post
Quote:
Oak Harbor said they could do the job. After they took my boat out of the water and blocked it, John Clarke told me that in addition to the strut, my driveshaft was bent and I needed a new driveshaft.
I've worked with Mr. Clarke. Neither he nor I are perfect. Mr. Clarke is a poor manager and doesn't know what he does know from what he doesn't. He has been in several marinas since the one we worked together in. I would steer clear of him.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:06   #14

I feel your pain - almost every time I've ever needed to pay someone to repair something - I come out with new repairs needed because of the previous "repairs." It's not particularly comforting that I'm not the only one..
Old 03-11-2019, 12:17   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

The entire industry is shabby (i'm in it) but there are good guys. When you find one, name him on this forum and hang on to him.

Tags
marine