Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2016, 12:32   #31

Re: Help with a Pacific mystery...

Are the mittens removeable at all on that suit? If not, and they found no hand bones in the arm of the suit, then he must not have had one when the suit was put on. I just thought of that. That could be how they decided it could have been missing previously. Could give a new meaning to sailing single handed (sorry).
I am afraid that no tissue samples were preserved, so I assume the remains were disposed of. If a crime is suspected they will hold on to them but it is really up to the ME office.
I have got some very good information and opinions here from you guys.
The serial number could help. If there was a warranty on the suit I'd like to know whose name it was under. Some companies keep very good records.The Schott jacket company in New York IDed a leather jacket for me once, and Martin Guitars has records going way back. Sometimes products go back to the factory for repair also. You never know. If Bayley was family owned someone may have what I need in a box in the attic.
Magnum p.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 12:45   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm really surprised...its been more than 15 minutes and none of the CF regulars have come up with a name yet...thats unusual.

Also, rest in peace Mr. Bill, who ever you are.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 13:08   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Seasick makes an interesting point about the hurricane activity in 81-82. As the decedent was wearing short jeans shorts, he may well have been from somewhere a lot warmer than the North Pacific. Was is '81 when the marina at Lihue (on Kauai) was so damaged?

Maybe look for boats reported missing with loss of life in the time frame? If the decedent had new bone growth, he was helped into the suit, did not, for sure, lose the arm immediately prior. Kind of makes you think of a young man with at least the use of a motorcycle...... Or possibly an industrial accident?...... Also, well enough off to afford the suit....

Ann
Old 26-03-2016, 22:24   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I remember those survival suits and they were fairly popular among sailors, not just fishermen back then. If the young man had set out from Puget Sound for warmer waters and never contacted home, who would I have called if were his family member? Seems extremely obvious, but any record of Coast Guard inquiries from the 2 years prior to discovery in Hawaii??
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 06:40   #35

bailey is in fortuna Ca. if the suit was ever sent in for service, they would have a record
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 08:27   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well, if the investigation was done in Hawaii, it might not have been that thorough. I base this on my experience while living in the Islands for 7 years and watching them botch cases.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote