Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 19:27   #1

Boat: Fantasia 35'
Extended Cruising in the Channel Islands?

I am waiting out hurricane season in So Cal, but dock are too pricy in San Diego. I can afford a mooring ball at Catalina during the off season, but being that I have 7 months to kill until November, is it possible to spend this much time at Catalina anchoring out at different coves? I don't know if there is a rule to how much time you can spend out there. And what about the other Channel Islands?

Thanks!
salty.senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 20:19   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Extended Cruising in the Channel Islands?

Pretty much all good and medium anchoring areas in Catalina are full of dense moorings. This leaves marginal spots with little weather protection. A winter mooring would be smarter. A few months in the summer in the Channel Islands would also be enjoyable. Split it up between Catalina, Channel Is, Santa Barbara and San Diego and the time should go well. When you get back to San Diego you can run around to the various time limited anchorages to save berth fees.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 20:25   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

There was pretty ok anchoring in Catalina Harbour (the south bay), south of the mooring buoy field. A little deep but nothing worse than a typical anchorage on the central coast. I anchored in around 60 feet I think, and the protection seemed to be pretty good
Old 03-03-2019, 20:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
There was pretty ok anchoring in Catalina Harbour (the south bay), south of the mooring buoy field. A little deep but nothing worse than a typical anchorage on the central coast. I anchored in around 60 feet I think, and the protection seemed to be pretty good
You think its a good spot to spend a few months in the winter? Not me. A few nights maybe.
Old 03-03-2019, 20:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Pretty much all good and medium anchoring areas in Catalina are full of dense moorings. This leaves marginal spots with little weather protection. A winter mooring would be smarter. A few months in the summer in the Channel Islands would also be enjoyable. Split it up between Catalina, Channel Is, Santa Barbara and San Diego and the time should go well. When you get back to San Diego you can run around to the various time limited anchorages to save berth fees.
I did visit Santa Cruz island and got pretty beat up by the Santa Anas so I am waiting until the Santa Ana's are over for the season before going back. I'm single handing so it is just too dangerous to risk that by myself. When you say summer months in the Channel Islands, which are you referring to? What anchorages, islands, etc? It seems many are not accessible to public and have dangerous anchorages (San Miguel, San Clemente, Santa Barbara).
Old 03-03-2019, 20:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Thanks Matt!

How much chain do you put out in 60'? I see 5 to 1 scope but can't do the math right now
Old 03-03-2019, 20:51   #7
cruiser

Anchoring near the oil islands inside the Long Beach breakwater is permitted, which then puts you just outside of Shoreline Village. Plenty of nice restaurants and services. Anchoring is also permitted just outside the marina in San Pedro.

Both of these locations are much safer than Catalina because they’re inside the Los Angeles Harbor breakwater and along the beaches. If the Santa Ana winds kick up suddenly, Catalina has no place to hide and you’ll find yourself anchored on a lee shore against the rocks with no escape possible. Something to consider.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 20:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty.senorita View Post
I did visit Santa Cruz island and got pretty beat up by the Santa Anas so I am waiting until the Santa Ana's are over for the season before going back. I'm single handing so it is just too dangerous to risk that by myself. When you say summer months in the Channel Islands, which are you referring to? What anchorages, islands, etc? It seems many are not accessible to public and have dangerous anchorages (San Miguel, San Clemente, Santa Barbara).
The Channel Islands are not a cruising place where you set yourself up in nice anchorage and spend lots of time. That kind of cruising doesn't exist in Southern Cal. You'll have to wait till you get to Mexico for that. With your concerns about single handing and anchorage quality, off season Catalina mooring, and a mix of bouncing around San Diego anchorages and some berth time might be best.
Old 03-03-2019, 20:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Anchoring near the oil islands inside the Long Beach breakwater is permitted, which then puts you just outside of Shoreline Village. Plenty of nice restaurants and services. Anchoring is also permitted just outside the marina in San Pedro.

Both of these locations are much safer than Catalina because they’re inside the Los Angeles Harbor breakwater and along the beaches.
I have anchored in Hurricane Gulch in San Pedro, it was okay for a couple of days but I don't think I could stay there for weeks or months especially because there's nowhere safe to leave the dinghy. I did have to get a permit, which I wasn't aware of just knew the cops were outside for some reason! I skipped Long Beach though so that's worth a shot.
Old 03-03-2019, 20:58   #10
cruiser

Dana point is very nice inside the harbor anchored near the maritime museum, but I think there’s a ten day limit. Anchoring off Belmont Shores inside the Long Beach breakwater is excellent.
Old 03-03-2019, 21:00   #11

Quote:
The Channel Islands are not a cruising place where you set yourself up in nice anchorage and spend lots of time. That kind of cruising doesn't exist in Southern Cal. You'll have to wait till you get to Mexico for that. With your concerns about single handing and anchorage quality, off season Catalina mooring, and a mix of bouncing around San Diego anchorages and some berth time might be best.
That's what I was trying to figure out. I know I can probably hop around between Catalina and Santa Cruz, but I don't think I could make it last 7 months. I thought I've met people who live on their boats out at Avalon but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 03-03-2019, 21:02   #12
cruiser

Quote:
I spent plenty of time anchored in and around Long Beach and Dana Point, and found the area to be excellent with fantastic services and restaurants.
Old 03-03-2019, 21:02   #13

Quote:
Dana point is very nice inside the harbor anchored near the maritime museum, but I think there’s a ten day limit. Anchoring off Belmont Shores inside the Long Beach breakwater is excellent.
Hey 10 days is great! Thanks, I missed Dana Point on my way down as well. I'll look into Long Beach too.
Old 03-03-2019, 21:07   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty.senorita View Post
Hey 10 days is great! Thanks, I missed Dana Point on my way down as well. I'll look into Long Beach too.
There’s even an anchorage in Newport Harbor at the end of Lido Island, but getting ashore in your dinghy can be problematic, since I believe someone needs to always be on the boat, but several restaurants like the Cannery and a couple of bars will let you tie up on their docks overnight if you have a dinner reservation.
Old 03-03-2019, 21:11   #15

Quote:
The time limit is less than 10 days and its difficult for a singlehander as they limit the time you can leave the boat unattended. OK for a stop over but not going to do much to get the OP to November.

Tags
cruising, extended cruising