Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 21:27   #16

Hi Nick,
I moved my 30 footer. With a crane truck. Well within weight. I made up a simple cradle that I could assemble on the back of the truck. Got the crane to lift the boat on and that was that. No special stuff just a plain crane truck (semi type). You save on the lift and drop costs as well. No problems with height either with a contessa on a standard tray. You can even use the crane truck for your mast if you have your act together. more bickies saved.....
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 22:17   #17

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Hello Nick & Welcome

I dont believe any trucker will dead head more than 200 miles these days. They will layover and wait for a load before dead heading. The truckers are fighting and clawing trying to eke out a profit.

The container is a good idea, but you still have to have a truck / trailer and fuel. BTW you could put the boat on a dolly and roll it in the container, but beware, the container doors are less than 8 feet wide.

Realistically other than Panama, there is no cheaper way then sailing half way to your destination, which is Galveston Bay, where you will be only about 20 miles from I-10, which is a straight shot to California.

Buy a used truck/trailer and resale it at your destination. The Houston-Galveston area is chock full of heavy equipment and you could possibly even make a profit selling your rig in California.

Without doing the math (Its late, Im tired you do it mate) what you save in fuel by eliminating half the road trip will make things a little more feasible.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 22:32   #18

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
My fuel math was for one way so we are on the same wave length...I agree with BassAckwards plan as being a very good one possibly the best..I do not see a trouble free journey towing 12000 lbs 3500 miles with a PU ..who will be expected to fix the truck when it breaks down when hauling your boat for gas money only ..the owner?...get it in writing....We are good people I dont know if were that good... FWIW My last diesel PU tranny was 3500.00

Cheers Mate
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:26   #19

Boat: 42ft pilothouse cutter
Thanks everyone -

Ok, it may seem more logical to move closer to where I'm trying to get, but I'm trying hard not to do that. I came to NY because I have friends and family here, so it's much easier for me to try and attempt something like this from a place with familiar faces.

Yes, Panama is there, but I'm not particularly interested in doing it. I'm not very keen on sailing all the way back, to wait in line, have four line handlers on board, a captain, and get gouged in the eye with fees - I'd rather do what I'm suggesting even if it's more expensive, as it's the plan I've been working towards for almost a year now - Also, I wanted to roadtrip across America and see the interior. While I'm on a boat, it's not all about sailing

The container idea is an interesting one - I will do some research and see if trucks do go back without a load and see if it's possible. I could probably dig up a container from around here (Long Island). I guess the lid of the container would really only have to be tack welded back. I wonder if it could go as train cargo?

The boat is 6500lbs + the weight of the trailer. I've managed to dig up someone who has a Ford F150, however he doesn't think it could do it - I guess I need to get a list of towing capacities for trucks, and go backwards from there. It looks like I may have also found a trailer in Georgia I can use - It needs new tyres and lights.

I'll keep digging and update if I hit gold -

Thanks for all your ideas!

Nick
nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:05   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Does the trailer have it's own brakes? The Rockies & Sierras are some mighty tall mountains with some steep grades......BEST WISHES in arriving safely. The Berkeley marina is good, but on the otherside of the pier is Emery Cove Yacht Harbor that has better facilities, and free buses to take you to train stations, and into Emeryville for shopping.

Welcome to Emery Cove Yacht Harbor

Dianne the Harbor Master has been there 20 years. She is helpful, and an all around good person.............i2f....not to mention easy on the eyes....lolololol
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:45   #21
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I may be able to help you, I have a tri axel trailer made for a sail boat send me an e-mail
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:53   #22

imagine2frolic - The only reason I've chosen Berkeley marina is because I've got a contact there... Rates seem reasonable, and there appears to be a bit of a community around the place, however I'm open to anywhere, thanks for the Emery Cove link -

Ram - Email sent!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:05   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
They are less than a mile apart. I sailed, and lived in ECYH for almost 15 years. Did business with Cree at Berkeley boat works in the Berkeley marina. Honest, and good people to do business with. I am sure this is who you will have launch the boat?

BEST WISHES in getting across country, and seeing our Nation. It is very diverse the landscape, and peoples. I have driven across country a couple of times. Taking time to see our National Parks......be safe....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:29   #24

Quote:
Also, I wanted to roadtrip across America and see the interior. While I'm on a boat, it's not all about sailing
Well if that's the goal

Then you really should take your time...as said we have a huge diversity of landscape and way of life in this Country...from ultra rat-race to ultra laid back towns and communities.

Why dont you trade some labor for a couple months and get your own older good used PU and use your boat as a camper trailer along the way..if ya break down work off the bill with some more trading of labor..have to admit the timing is a little off for that due to the economy and time of year but hard workers are always in demand to somebody.

Look forward to hearing how it all comes out..so dont leave us all hanging..

We are heading into winter also so keep that in mind..I am thinking you should have left yesterday or start thinking on waiting till spring..Towing in the snow and ice or flooding areas is no fun...Just got a call from my wife... a bridge is closed due to flooding locally here right now...and wanted to know if my oldest daughters boyfriend could sleep on the couch tonight otherwise he would have to miss school...guess I will be up with whom ever wants to talk here all night tonight...
Old 12-11-2008, 09:38   #25

Yes, my initial plan was to spend a month going across country, using the boat to sleep in, however I got disheartened with all the technicalities. So then I decided to just pay someone to do it, but the cheapest quote I could get was for about $4000. It was a lot of money, but it seemed nearly doable. However, when the Australian dollar crashed against the USD, it now is impossible, and in hindsight, was just too much money anyway. So, I've got my spirits up again to try trucking it myself - If I can find with a trailer I can borrow as opposed to rent, I will take some time - However if I need to rent, I guess I'll only be seeing the US from the inside of the front windshield! I'm going to look back into buying a truck, maybe my American uncle can register it under his name.

A friend trucked a similar sized boat with just a Jeep Cherokee, so maybe something like a 6cyl F150 is possible...

Re timing - I can't leave now, as my 6mth visa is up, and I must leave the country for awhile... I'll be back in Jan though.

n
Old 12-11-2008, 18:43   #26

Trucks/Towing Capacity

Nick,
Depending on the year/configuration an F150 may or may not be able to make this tow. What year is your friends truck?
Old 12-11-2008, 20:23   #27

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
I dont think you can do it for 2k,maybe 3k.Ive done this a few time with similar sized boats.You must have brakes on the trailer,preferably on both axles so the tow vehicle needs to be wired with a controller if they are electric.the boat with all your cruising gear is likely between 6-7000lbs so you will need a 10000lb trailer.You may be able to rent a trailer and a truck to pull it with from u haul but you will need to buy or build a cradle.you can build one out of wood from home depot in half a day but it will cost you $300.A 1/2 ton vehicle like an F150 will do it but you really want a 3/4 ton,bigger brakes.Borrowing stuff generally only works if you are doing a round trip,renting generally works out better as you can often rent one way though i think you may pay a premium.also they are responsible if you break down.
Good luck,Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 22:19   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post

A friend trucked a similar sized boat with just a Jeep Cherokee, so maybe something like a 6cyl F150 is possible...

n

Nick I hate to sound like a negative know it all and I really hate to rain on your parade but, you will more than likely destroy an F150 with a 6 cyl. Towing that boat across the U.S. will be putting one heck of a demand on the truck.

Regardless of what the tongue weight of your trailer and boat will pose, you will need a heavy duty truck with a trailer towing package.

The truck must be at least an F250 (3/4 ton) because it has the beefy suspension, axles, differential, and heavier ply tires. It must also have a load leveling trailer hitch with electric brakes.

As I remember the trailer towing package includes a larger radiator and heavier turn signal flashers and wiring for electric brakes, and if the truck is equipped with an automatic transmission it will include a transmission cooler. Crossing mountains with a load demands this equipment.

If you dont have the heavier ply tires you may very well have a few blow outs and end up in a heap of metal and fiberglass on the side of the road.

ITS A CONTESSA FOR PETE SAKES, BE CAREFUL.

Bernard Moitessier
Old 12-11-2008, 22:40   #29

BA...I'm glad your around...I just couldn't do it and bit my tongue
Old 12-11-2008, 22:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
BA...I'm glad your around...I just couldn't do it and bit my tongue

Well, the way I see it Aussies are a dime a dozen, but we just dont find too many Contessas anymore.

Bernard Moitessier