Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2008, 13:48   #1

Boat: 42ft pilothouse cutter
Crossed Atlantic, trucking overland - Need trailer!

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post this... I hope this doesn't deviate too much from the topic.

Over the past year I've sailed solo from the UK, via Holland and the West Indies, up to New York. I've done this on a 26ft boat, and I'm now trying to truck her overland to Berkeley, California, so I can continue sailing through the Pacific and home to Australia.

I'm doing all this on a small budget, a project I started when I was 25 - I'm 27, soon to be 28 now, so this is as you can see, taking quite some time! Since I've been in the USA, I've been given a ton of help - So much, I'd have to dedicate it all to another thread - However one problem I've not been able to solve so far - Is the issue of trucking. I've had numerous quotes, but unfortunately they're all beyond my reach, and often come to half the value of my boat!

Right now, I'm trying to find a trailer and truck to do the trip myself... I guess I'm here appealing to the wider US cruising community for ideas... I know there must be someone out there who has a trailer which is just gathering dust, but the key to this puzzle is finding that person!

If you have any thoughts or ideas, please let me know - I've attached two photos, one from when I was in Antigua, and another in front of a rather well known landmark

Thanks, Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nyc.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	5809   Click image for larger version

Name:	antigua.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	5810  

nickj is offline   Reply With Quote