Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2008, 04:15   #31

Not to start a pissing match, but my '07 F150 could do this move no sweat. The key though is that he isn't going to have access to newer rig with the heavier tow capacities, etc.

I think I'd look into a one way rental from Uhaul for the truck. As for the trailer, I have no clue. The Uhaul car trailer will not work, they are extremely short length.
Old 13-11-2008, 04:44   #32

I'd be concerned with a 150 doing this tow. On the central route I80 you'll top out around 11,000ft. On I40 you'll go to 7500ft. It's a long up and a long down for a 1/2 ton truck.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 05:35   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Run the boat to deluth Mn and start your road trip from there.
Old 13-11-2008, 09:03   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
I'd be concerned with a 150 doing this tow. On the central route I80 you'll top out around 11,000ft. On I40 you'll go to 7500ft. It's a long up and a long down for a 1/2 ton truck.
It all depends on the truck. I've taken my '07 F150 all over the country with 5,000 pound derby cars on my trailer behind it, with ease. But that's a new truck, with a newer well balanced trailer with electric brakes behind it. My grandparents pull their fifth wheel behind their F150 from Michigan to Texas and back every winter. They have a 2wd with the 11,700 tow kit.

What most people fail to realize is that a new 1/2 ton has more towing capacity than some 10-15 year old 3/4 and 1 tons. The drivelines (and most importantly the brakes) are leaps and bounds better on the newer trucks.

I do agree that he should have a ton of concern. Given his $$$$ situation, anything that he could buy I wouldn't feel comfortable making the trip in.

I wish I could line up the time and lock down a coast to coast'er to help you out. I'm gonna monitor this thread, as one of the members of Project Fiji is an expediter, and might be able to help you find someone to move this thing in the spring.
Old 13-11-2008, 13:11   #35

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I think BassAckwards and my concern was the choice of the 6 cylinder model he referred to...I dont know of any worth a hoot at towing.

I own a 2000 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 my self and it being in top shape I dont know if I would do it or not if I was in his situation...but I know I would be taking some life out of her for sure if I did.. and I would route extra mileage on her to avoid as many passes as I could.

Here is a good read..

What is the towing capacity of 1998 GMC Sierra 1500 z71 extended cab with 5.7L 4x4?

Chev/GMC recommends a maximum of 6500 lbs trailer weight although there is much more to it than this. This reccomendation is only a guidline. If you are going to pull more than this on a regular basis, you will greatly shorten the life of the truck. If you are talking about pulling a holiday trailer a few times a year, you can exceed this as long as you meet some requirements. Inside the driver's door there will be a sticker with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) number and GAWR(Gross Axle Weight Rating) . It is illegal to exceed either of these weights. GVWR - add the weight of the truck, passengers, fuel, cargo in or on the truck AND the hitch weight the trailer is placing on the truck and DON'T EXCEED THE GVWR weight. A N D - now you will have to scale (weigh) the axles of the truck to make sure that you are not over the GAWR of either the front or rear axle weight limits.

FWIW...I have a CDL and own 3 Dump trucks...it isn't always easy to avert disaster in a rig designed for the job let alone one barley capable of one.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 17:05   #36

I agree completely. Even if I had a MINT condition 10 year old 1/2 ton, I wouldn't make this trip (if I cared about my truck). Towing is brutal on a truck.

Have you thought about putting the boat on charter and renting it out to someone to take down through panama and back up to Cali for you? Maybe make some money out of the deal. I understand she's on the hard, but who knows what someone might pay to do this.
Old 22-11-2008, 18:23   #37

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
A car hauling trailer will work as the bow will be higher than the truck box(as long as you dont have a topper on it) and can overhang a bit.The last boat i hauled was a Lindenberg 26 which is huge compared to the Contessa but weighs about the same,we hauled it on a 7000lb car trailer with a chevy tahoe 350 v8 and it towed fine,a pickup truck would have had better clearance between it and the bow of the boat.However,we only towed it 500 miles and no mountains,we did have overload springs,rebuilt brakes and electric trailer brakes,we averaged 11mpg with the boat on,15 with just the trailer on the way down.The bigger problem with the car trailer is that the 7000lb capacity is marginal as the boat was 5400lb and the trailer 1600lbs which puts it right at its limit and the tires are just light truck tires with a max pressure of 35psi.the damn things look flat at that so we ran 45psi. Your Contessa weighs about the same but is loaded for cruising and probably weighs in at more like 7000lbs by itself.You need a 10000lb capacity equipment trailer which you can probably rent at u haul along with a truck.Problem is it will likeley cost as much as having a pro haul it and he will be insured.
Good luck,Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote