Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 18:52   #1

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Anyone Read the Bumfuzzle Blog Lately ?

They bought another boat and are heading back out. Mono this time, so there's an example of going back after a catamaran.

43' Spindrift. Bought sight unseen without survey - they are visiting it after the purchase.

Guess I will be more interested in their blog again.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 08-07-2010, 19:35   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I hope they have better luck with the structure of their monohull than they did with their catamaran.

I would at least get a survey to make sure the hull, deck, and mast don't have any major structural issues.
Old 08-07-2010, 19:46   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, I read their blog regularly, colemj, and correspond with them on an irregular basis. They have a baby, Ouest, who's going on seven months, now, and that had a lot to do with their decision to opt for a motorsailer. No steep ladders to negotiate (or fall down).

I've invited Pat to join Cruisers Forum, and he said he'd give it some thought. As many of you will recall, the Schultes took a regular pummeling here from some of the membership as they sailed around the world on the first Bumfuzzle.

The irony was that after all of the posts here about going for it; about doing it now; about how you'll only regret the things you didn't do - when an adventurous young couple actually followed through on the plan, they were subjected to unbelievable scorn, by some, on this Forum.

It left a pretty bitter taste in their mouths, I think. But, clearly, they are still adventurous, if more mature , and have chosen to return to the life aquatic and raise their family in this lifestyle. I sincerely hope, if they do choose to join Cruisers Forum, that they will be welcomed in the cordial way we all want to be received in a new setting.

TaoJones
Old 08-07-2010, 21:35   #4

Boat: Privilege 39
Bought sight unseen and no survey? Yikes... Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?
Old 08-07-2010, 21:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
Bought sight unseen and no survey? Yikes... Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?
Have you read their blog? Given the effectiveness (or lack there of) of the survey on the last boat they bought, I can understand their decision.
Old 08-07-2010, 22:03   #6

Boat: Islander Bahama 24' - s/v Dirty Bottom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
The irony was that after all of the posts here about going for it; about doing it now; about how you'll only regret the things you didn't do - when an adventurous young couple actually followed through on the plan, they were subjected to unbelievable scorn, by some, on this Forum.
TaoJones
Thank You Tao.. I am not the most experienced sailor, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I have saved up enough to cruise (including a different boat.) If I had the financial means, as it seems they did, I would have left already just like the bumfuzzles. However, I still can't believe that they didn't learn to tie a bowline until Australia.
Old 08-07-2010, 22:10   #7

Boat: Catalina 42'
I would be surprised if Pat and Ali were to become CF members again. Don't get me wrong, they are friends and I personally would welcome them back to our forum. But realistically, who wants to be in the company of those who has continually berated you for living your life under your own terms (as has happened here)?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:39   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
the 43 spindrift looks like a great boat
Old 09-07-2010, 02:05   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
I got the impression they are not in the "$500 a month cruiser" category, so if when they pick up their boat for the first time there are a few problems, then they could just sort it. All boats have some problems but few are really terminal that can't be sorted with time and money.

I enjoy there carefree attitude and just get on and do it attitude, too many peeps busy buying rediculously big yachts on finance then spending all there time polishing, cleaning and worrying, this side of the pond.

Wish them the best with their future adventures.

bumfuzzle.com
Old 09-07-2010, 04:10   #10

Sight Unseen

We purchased our yacht sight unseen over the internet.

Asked for an accurate description from the owner, looked at a couple of photos, asked a couple of local sailors that knew of the brand, all sounded good so we made an offer on the basis of "as is where is" subject to the description based on honesty.

Jumped a flight from Hobart to Sydney the following weekend and checked the boat out. Some things a little worse than expected and others far better than expected. We couldn't take it for a sail as the water pump had stripped the impeller due to being run dry.

Hauled up the sails on the mooring and they passed muster.

Told the owner that the deal was still on, providing the engine was running smoothly by next weekend as we would be flying back to pick it up to sail back to Hobart.

Came back the next weekend, went out and inspected it again, loaded it up with provisions and a couple of hours later headed out to sea at 3pm, next stop - Eden (about 200+ miles away).

Spent 4 days in Eden waiting for a window in the weather to cross Bass Strait and down the East Coast of Tasmania to Hobart.

What could possibly go wrong.

Nothing, the boat was an absolute dream to sail, everything worked within the limits of a 20 year old boat.

Have now had it for 2 years and could not be happier, sure we have had to fix a few things and update systems, but if the sellers are honest then it is possible to get a bargain without all the BS of a surveyour.

KenM
Old 09-07-2010, 05:05   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Bought sight unseen without survey
Interesting, sounds like a virtual repeat of last time they did this.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:07   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamountainman View Post
I would be surprised if Pat and Ali were to become CF members again. Don't get me wrong, they are friends and I personally would welcome them back to our forum. But realistically, who wants to be in the company of those who has continually berated you for living your life under your own terms (as has happened here)?
I don't know, material for another book? Just thinking out loud ...

their "series of irresponsible adventures" don't really work in a literary sense unless there's a foil of "responsible" killjoys to play off of.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:48   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
All I can say is "good for them". Looks like they are off on a new adventure, and that is always a good thing.

Chris
Old 09-07-2010, 07:28   #14

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
43' Spindrift. Bought sight unseen without survey
If it is the center cockpit model that's a great design ! We sailed on one out of MDR 20+ years ago and she really moved. It had some hydraulic steering setup with rudder feedback transmitted back to the wheel.

As for sight unseen with no survey, that's how we bought La Petite, on eBay. Of course, we only paid $1847.00 but boy did we get our money's worth for 1000s of NM over the next few years !

-Sven
Old 09-07-2010, 08:59   #15

I kind of lost interest after they left the boat, but I was a big Pat and Ali fan while they were cruising.

I enjoyed and sometimes envied the many things that made them a little different. However, one thing always puzzled me. They did a leisurely multi year circumnavigation; mostly had fun doing it; and yet once it was done, they simply walked away. It seemed that completing the circumnavigation was much more of a primary goal than is usually the case. Although it sounded like they were enjoying it, somehow they never got hooked. Maybe I was wrong.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Closed Thread