Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 02:37   #46

Boat: Alpa42 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to VieuxMalin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbridge View Post
Vieux Malin (and others)
I also am an airline pilot. In my early forties I sold my house, paid off the boat and took an 18 month sabbatical. I lost all my seniority of course, but was lucky enough to find a left-seat job on my return to the UK. With hindsight, I would have been better off to have rented out my house, but that's the UK housing market, it may be different elsewhere. I was also financially attempting to recover from a divorce, but that's another story.
I went to the Caribbean, knowing that after 18 months I needed to work, but flying jobs are not that easily come by (I won't bore others with why, but you know what I'm talking about). I ran out of money, sold the boat came back and started again. Next May, when I'm 55 I'm off sailing again, so the first experience can't have been that bad.
So my advice to anybody thinking about taking a career break.......do it.... but make sure that either you are debt free when you go OR in the case of a house, make sure the rental income covers the mortgage repayment. You may or may not pick up your career where you left it, but you'll be 'richer' for the experience. How much you need to cruise for a couple of years really depends on lifestyle, it is possible to live very cheaply (depending on where you are, of course). How much you need to go off 'full time' is another matter. I would suggest that you need a property to come back to, you will (eventually) leave the boat. I'm budgeting on £1000 (sterling) per month, which incidentally is a reasonably comfortable retirement income in the UK (provided everything else [ car, house] is paid for). This will give me a modest lifestyle, maybe eating out once a week, in cafes rather than restaurants and drinking beer rather than rum cocktails. I'm prepared to lower my lifestyle-standards and go off round the world, but that's me. Others might react with horror at not being able to eat out 5 days a week.
So, yes take a career break. Give yourself a time-scale and decide how much money you have to spend. Don't go with any debts that aren't covered by income (you can't rely on working en route). Consider working for a few months each year to top up the cruising kitty, but make sure that you are actually making money on the deal. If you have to pay to have the boat laid up whilst you're working, pay for temporary accomadation and transport etc whilst away from the boat, are you actually ahead on the deal?
Dear Troutbridge, first of all let me thank you very much for your words. They are clear and convincing.
Nevertheless, I have to say that if you went out for a sabbatic year or so, and then returned to your left seat in the cockpit, well, you've been quite fortunate because I don't think my company will be happy to arrange all the instruction (ground and sims) for getting me back on type currency.
However, I agree with you about money. Not to sail off with debts is a must. I am now refitting my vessel, and will be ready in one year time. Meanwhile I will have to prepare money for the yachtyard and start saving as well. My plan is to sail off in 5 years time.
Talking about job....I was thinking about those "Contract Air" or "Parc Aviation" buzz...what you think about it? Could be a solution to sail off and seldom work with limited contracts.
VieuxMalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 20:54   #47

If you're not going to do it now, will you ever? Is this something you can live without doing? Most of the people I've met in that age range just took off one day because if they just didn't take the plunge they never would. Money or none, career or not, it's a big choice. Do you want to keep evertything steady as a rock and be dependable, or seek out the unknown? Just a thought, get out there and take a risk. Live to the fullest. I've had everything and nothing but i've always been the most fullfilled when I went out on a very long limb, no matter what the outcome.

Wes
wes28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:25   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I think the crux of the matter depends on how easy or difficult you think it would be to get hired again when you return from cruising.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:05   #49

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I think the crux of the matter depends on how easy or difficult you think it would be to get hired again when you return from cruising.
One of my problems in making the decision to tell the rest of the family that we are shoving off.

We are working toward an income that relies on modern (internet) communications, you know, home office. Easily doable around coastal US. Some say I could spend 2 years on the US coast. Seems like a long time.

If things happen it will be Yuppi like to some and spartan camping to otheres.

It is all grey. People only see their own black and white. The rest it grey.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 15:09   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Would an Iridium phone work for you?...for transfering data. Or would this be too cost prohibitive? I know of a guy that has one and he is able to get everything he needs on a daily basis by dialing in for a couple minutes a day. I know it's around a buck a minute but still, what's a few bucks a day?

Perhaps inmarsat or Globalstar may work for you?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 15:31   #51

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Would an Iridium phone work for you?
First of all I plan on helping my wife get the contract so I can just be what I always have been, ie, income producer, house boy, dish washer, lawn boy repair man, cook, painter, plumber, auto repair man etc. EXCEPT income producer...........which will be replaced with "BOAT BOY!!"

But seriously,

The need is for internet connection for at least a couple of hours a day (or however long we want to work) with frequent/constant downloading of data.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:44   #52

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
More on extending the cruise. I am approaching retirement but the Admiral has nine years to go. Fortunately she has developed special skills and can work two months out of four and the working months are commutable from an expensive marina.
In the UK renting property is cheaper than owning, living aboard a sound used boat is cheaper than that, even with expensive marina's in the UK. if I find work as well, I've always temp'ed, we'll be making money, taking long holidays. We may rent a small flat (apartment) ashore so wife can work while I take the boat round to the med. It is also a shore base for leaving the boat in the med for a cople of months. And a store room for cold clothing! We are hoping to find a Prout Event34 or similar when the house finally sells. We'll have similar amounts in the bank to what we invest in the boat and that seems about right to cover mishaps, refurbs and Neptune's angry moments. Just need to sell the bloody mill stone. Lots to do over Xmas. Good luck to you all and best wishes.