Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2023, 14:51   #31

Re: Where to register

Very useful online fillable Bill of Sale document from the USCG, note that a notary public is required for completion.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...alwn_IAA%3d%3d

Be sure to include a detailed listing of ALL of the equipment and accessories / accoutrements, not just the identification of the vessel itself.
The agreement should list a separate sale price for the boat, dinghy, outboard motor. The agreement should also list any accessories or equipment being sold with the boat, such as electronics, software, engines, spare props, anchors, sails, batteries, windlass, etc. with serial numbers if available.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 14:54   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrrre View Post
It is a bit early to do the tonnage measurement yet. FYI, I am talking about a production boat. 2007 Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40.
Sorry, Don't have the data for that one .... Buy a Lagoon, I have all of those
Old 08-09-2023, 16:35   #33

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Very useful online fillable Bill of Sale document from the USCG, note that a notary public is required for completion.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...alwn_IAA%3d%3d

Be sure to include a detailed listing of ALL of the equipment and accessories / accoutrements, not just the identification of the vessel itself.

The agreement should list a separate sale price for the boat, dinghy, outboard motor. The agreement should also list any accessories or equipment being sold with the boat, such as electronics, software, engines, spare props, anchors, sails, batteries, windlass, etc. with serial numbers if available.
What is the purpose of the detailed equipment inventory? I certainly did not get one on either of my boats that I bought, or the one that I have sold.

I can certainly see the time savings. I spent months gathering all that information for my current boat. I now have something like three pages, in double column format, of all the equipment including model numbers on the boat -- a document I keep on my cell phone and access frequently. But I certainly don't have the engine serial number or for any of the electronics. Other than a handy reference for the new owner, what value does that extensive effort provide?

Listing all that in the contract might be useful to clarify what is being sold, but a bill of sale is after the fact. And even then, ensuring the owner doesn't take the anchor might be helpful, but I can't imagine chartplotters and windlasses routinely walk between the contract and the closing.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 16:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
What is the purpose of the detailed equipment inventory? I certainly did not get one on either of my boats that I bought, or the one that I have sold.

I can certainly see the time savings. I spent months gathering all that information for my current boat. I now have something like three pages, in double column format, of all the equipment including model numbers on the boat -- a document I keep on my cell phone and access frequently. But I certainly don't have the engine serial number or for any of the electronics. Other than a handy reference for the new owner, what value does that extensive effort provide?

Listing all that in the contract might be useful to clarify what is being sold, but a bill of sale is after the fact.
For insurance policy coverage and also for customs duty and VAT and sales and use taxation and for transferrable warranties.
Old 08-09-2023, 19:21   #35

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
For insurance policy coverage and also for customs duty and VAT and sales and use taxation and for transferrable warranties.
I can see for certain circumstances that might matter.

My own list of what's on the boat for insurance purposes is far more detailed than anything a bill of sale might include.

In maryland, sales tax is based upon the sales price. The only detail is they want to tax the mothership and the dinghy separately. What was on the boat doesn't change the tax at all.

Transferable warranties. Ha! That's a different financial world than the one I live in. My equipment is not only not under warranty, it's obsolete!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 21:28   #36

Poland, use an agent, cheapest chips, one time payment.
richie edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 00:00   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrrre View Post
Hi,
I am in the process to buy a boat in the Bahamas. I don't want to register it in my home country (Canada) because of the ridiculous cost to import it here (about 25% of value when all said and done). Where would it make the most sense to register the boat at? I was thinking the BVI or maybe Bahamas. Am I on the right track?

Thanks
I also lke this guy up thnk for you best option is register in Poland. only one time registration ,no inspection every couple year,eqipment you have who care.
and use EU insurance if you have newer boat under 20 year old.
but insurance company not stupid how EU flag boat have acident in cariban prce go up. For example Croatia insurance cover all world,no any limitation
boat 200000€ small damage under 3000€ not cover cost 2021 400€ today think 1200€ ask why answer market price in London REA lose lot money in suez sombody must cover
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 01:28   #38

Boat: Outremer 51

A few things, I have a boat registered in Canada. Bought it in France new in 2017. Sailed the world since then, currently in the Indian Ocean. The boat has never and will never be in Canada. No Canadian sales or import tax has to be paid. The registration requires tonnage. It is not a serious ask. Just estimate one from similar boat and put the numbers down.
Rimica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 02:37   #39

Boat: Hughes 35 and Lagoon 380 S2

That's the plan.
pierrrre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 10:19   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If the vessel is longer than 12 meters (or a multi-hull)... To register in Canada, a Tonnage Measurement must be performed by a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer.
https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...asurers-canada
Boatpoker, I am curious about the tonnage measuring requirement. Might you please explain the reasoning behind the need for a tonnage assessment for a vessel and in particular a recreational yacht. Is there some sort of fee associated with a scale of tonnage capacities, or some extra safety / regulatory issues that are invoked above a certain size of vessel?

What is the purpose of an exact tonnage calculation?

Might a builder's certificate of the vessel instead be adequate to provide for such quantified value and obviate the need for a measurer? Perhaps with an attestation by the owner that is registering the vessel that is has not be modified from its as built design.

Thanks a ton,
Old 10-09-2023, 06:06   #41

I can understand the Canadian Import Tax, because he is a Canadian. But, what if the boat is owned by a foreign corporation. Say, for instance, a Delaware or BVI corporation. Then the owner is not a Canadian or Canadian entity. So, wouldn't that allow him to temporarily use it in Canada?
marti972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 06:30   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimica View Post
A few things, I have a boat registered in Canada. Bought it in France new in 2017. Sailed the world since then, currently in the Indian Ocean. The boat has never and will never be in Canada. No Canadian sales or import tax has to be paid. The registration requires tonnage. It is not a serious ask. Just estimate one from similar boat and put the numbers down.
Not quite correct, depending on length (over 12m) it will require measurement by an Appointed Tonnage Measurer or one recognized by IMO (with TC approval) ... not an easy thing in many geographic areas. https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...e-measurements
Old 10-09-2023, 06:38   #43

Boat: C&C

Boatpoker is right about the Tonnage Survey, as soon as the boat is over 12m in Canada and you want Federal Registration then it's mandatory. I had to go threw this with our previous French built cat.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 08:28   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by marti972 View Post
I can understand the Canadian Import Tax, because he is a Canadian. But, what if the boat is owned by a foreign corporation. Say, for instance, a Delaware or BVI corporation. Then the owner is not a Canadian or Canadian entity. So, wouldn't that allow him to temporarily use it in Canada?
The beneficial owner and operator is Canadian.

Keyword operator, if the master of the vessel [the vessel is the good being imported] is Canadian taxes become due.
Old 09-12-2023, 09:54   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Boatpoker, I am curious about the tonnage measuring requirement. Might you please explain the reasoning behind the need for a tonnage assessment for a vessel and in particular a recreational yacht. Is there some sort of fee associated with a scale of tonnage capacities, or some extra safety / regulatory issues that are invoked above a certain size of vessel?

What is the purpose of an exact tonnage calculation?

Might a builder's certificate of the vessel instead be adequate to provide for such quantified value and obviate the need for a measurer? Perhaps with an attestation by the owner that is registering the vessel that is has not be modified from its as built design.

Thanks a ton,
Sorry, I missed this question ...

International travel under IMO technically/legally requires Federal Registry/Documentation for entry of a vessel and does not exempt pleasurecraft. Tonnage is used by all IMO signatories to calculate wharfage piloting and harbour fees.

IMO does not recognized US State Registration or Canadian licensed vessels. Few countries enforce this and between Canada, the Bahamas and the US it's pretty much ignored however, if you PO a customs officer in these three countries it can become a big issue.

Pleasurecraft are nothing but a PIA to USCG Documentation people and Transport Canada But they have to provide the service due to IMO regulations. It's simply a bureaucratic nuisance pleasure craft have to put up with.