Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2023, 06:13   #1

Buying EU boat as non-EU citizen

Hello

I think I have the worst nightmare regarding purchasing the boat
The boat is 50 years old Albin Vega with Danish flag but located in Spain at the moment. I have Serbian citizenship (non-EU).

Questions :

1. What taxes I'm due to Spain government purchasing a boat in Spain with foreign flag ?
2. Am I eligible for EU VAT tax exempt since boat is 50 years old (made in Sweden and is registered in Denmark at the moment) ?
3. Since I'm not Danish citizen I have to de-register boat in Denmark and register it elsewhere (presumably Poland as easiest option I guess) ?
4. Does anybody know any affordable winter boat storage in Barcelona +/- 150 Nm ?

Sincerely,
Dragan Zubac
f2zubac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 10:42   #2

Re: Buying EU boat as non-EU citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2zubac View Post
1. What taxes I'm due to Spain government purchasing a boat in Spain with foreign flag ?
Why involve Spain? You buy the boat from the Danish guy, put on whatever location you want (preferably Denmark) and go your own way. No Spanish parties involved. That’s how it was done with my boat - albeit a different country.
Quote:
2. Am I eligible for EU VAT tax exempt since boat is 50 years old (made in Sweden and is registered in Denmark at the moment) ?
No there’s no tax exemption. But if the boat was in the EU before 1992 (or so depending on he country) it falls under the grandfather clause and counts as VAT paid. Furthermore, as it has an EU-flag and is in EU waters, the tax must have been paid - assuming you buy it from a private guy, not a company.
Quote:
3. Since I'm not Danish citizen I have to de-register boat in Denmark and register it elsewhere (presumably Poland as easiest option I guess) ?
Yes. Get a company to do that for you. As the previous registration was in EU-land, you’ll have no troubles.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:20   #3

Hello

Thank you for informations provided.
Here a contract/bill of sale is not valid until notary put their stamp or so, that's why I am asking if anything is needed in Spain , if yes, then I guess I would be due some taxes or similar.
But company that does Poland registration told me a simple 'bill of sale' with our signatures would be enough. Only thing needed is de-registration receipt from Denmark in order to register it in Poland.
Regarding VAT, I guess it might be easier just to pay VAT, although boat is built in 1970 in Sweden and was in EU water all its 'life'.

Sincerely,
Dragan
f2zubac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 13:15   #4

Quote:
Regarding VAT, I guess it might be easier just to pay VAT, although boat is built in 1970 in Sweden and was in EU water all its 'life'.
I wouldn’t bother. They never bother you with VAT on any old EU-registered boat if a private person is the owner. The go for the brits and non-EU flagged boats. I had the Aduana walk the docks a few times and the always skipped my boat.

Old + EU-flag = Safe from customs.

If you find any old invoices on the boat for any parts, keep them just to be safe. No matter what they’re for.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying