Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2023, 17:48   #16

Re: Where to register

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Nor sure what you mean , measuring a custom vessel is no different than measuring a production boat.

A production vessel.. and the surveyor may choose to use data s/he has.

A custom vessel.. and they have to be flown out to measure themselves.. and check and..

had a friend go through hell with this.. very very expensive lesson.

h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 17:51   #17

Quote:
Nor sure what you mean , measuring a custom vessel is no different than measuring a production boat.

To be clear.. the surveyor should be measuring and calculating for each boat in person.. but.. if a production boat.. may imagine that he did calculation already....

but in reality should have to fly out to vessel, measure.. ... pain and should make no difference.

Some surveyors MAY decide they can visualise from afar if a production vessel that they, or someone else, has done before.
Old 01-09-2023, 18:02   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
To be clear.. the surveyor should be measuring and calculating for each boat in person.. but.. if a production boat.. may imagine that he did calculation already....

but in reality should have to fly out to vessel, measure.. ... pain and should make no difference.

Some surveyors MAY decide they can visualise from afar if a production vessel that they, or someone else, has done before.
Canada is a signatory of IMO and both permit "sistership" tonnage surveys by an appointed surveyor. i.e. It is permissible for an appointed measurer to use measurements from a previously measured "sistership" ... if that measurer did the original measurements and the vessel is from the same hull and deck molds.

We cannot use measurements from another surveyor and I don't know how I'd get them in the first place.

So ... if its a production boat that I have not measured before or its a custom build, there is no difference, I have to measure both from scratch.
Old 01-09-2023, 18:16   #19

Quote:
Canada is a signatory of IMO and both permit "sistership" tonnage surveys by an appointed surveyor. i.e. It is permissible for an appointed measurer to use measurements from a previously measured "sistership" ... if that measurer did the original measurements and the vessel is from the same hull and deck molds.

We cannot use measurements from another surveyor and I don't know how I'd get them in the first place.

So ... if its a production boat that I have not measured before or its a custom build, there is no difference, I have to measure both from scratch.

Absolutely.. Although I have heard that some surveyors may 'imagine' that they measured a 'production' vessel previously, lowering costs. Not saying it is correct.. but on a 'custom' vessel there is no chance..
Old 01-09-2023, 18:19   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
Absolutely.. Although I have heard that some surveyors may 'imagine' that they measured a 'production' vessel previously, lowering costs. Not saying it is correct.. but on a 'custom' vessel there is no chance..
The appointment has been a very lucrative one for me for about 30 years. I've never met a measurer stupid enough to risk that appointment playing that game.
Old 01-09-2023, 18:31   #21

Quote:
The appointment has been a very lucrative one for me for about 30 years. I've never met a measurer stupid enough to risk that appointment playing that game.

And rightly so....

So when I attempted to say it requires a survey by an accredited surveyor for a custom vessel.. I really should have said for any vessel.

and a REPUTABLE surveyor shall survey the boat in question and do the calcs..

I (stupidly) made the distinction between custom and production, as.... I had heard that for production some surveyors are able to do less work..

I believe you have clarified it appropriately...

I respect you for not attempting to cut corners.. not all people are as ethical...

Noting that you are based in Canada and Bahamas.. the OP may probably get good information from you on the costs of doing the survey for the Canadian paperwork.. and the benefits of doing so if s/he is not interested in bringing the boat back to Canada...

I hope that clears up the misunderstanding that I caused....
Old 08-09-2023, 07:04   #22

Boat: Leopard 40

I think Canada is part of the Commonwealth, so you can register in Jersey.
You will still need a Marking and Carving note as well as Tonnage certificate.
Very cost effective registration
You can also get a ships station licence
I did mine through Blue Water Supplies Limited:

https://jerseyyachtregistration.com/blue-water-supplies-limited/

and got excellent service.

Surely then you would just be a foreign yacht visiting Canada?
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:25   #23

Boat: Hughes 35 and Lagoon 380 S2

Thanks aqfishing,

I took the decision to register the vessel in Canada. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where the boat is registered when you cross the Canadian border. Because I am a Canadian resident I would pay tax (15%) and the boat was built in Europe I would pay import fee (9.3%), for grand total of 24.3% (about $50 000 US) of the value of the boat, irrelevant to where the boat is registered. Plus, I already have a Canadian flag.....
pierrrre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:29   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrrre View Post
Thank you all for the very informative comments. I will just register the boat in Canada then and leave it south.

Thanks again.
Pierrre, yes register it in Canada keeping the vessel elsewhere is in fact the least costly option. Ours was registered in the BVI and we circumnavigated Panama to Panama with no hassles or extra cost. Eventually after over a decade, we brought the boat to Canada where we duly slapped down our plastic and paid the piper. Incidentally, the taxable value of a used boat is negotiable. We had established a ball park with an agent and then upon arrival personally negotiated down: old engine, old rig, yes an old boat etc.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:41   #25

Boat: Leopard 40

Great stuff. Happy sailing.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 08:07   #26

Boat: Catalina 30

You never mentioned what its current registration country is. (Bahamas??)
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 08:25   #27

In the US.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrrre View Post
In the US.
If the vessel has been documented with the USCG so as to be able to wear the USA flag and have USA nationality then you will need the prior owner to have a deletion of the documentation of the vessel by the USCG so as to be able to register the vessel anew with Canada flag.

Reference link to instructions and to a link to an online fillable form:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...2Jp9L2FQ%3d%3d

Bon voyages.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 14:29   #29
Marine Service Provider

Model and year of boat ? If I have measured such a model before I should be able to do a "sistership" tonnage measurement for you at a fraction of the cost of what it will cost to do down island.
Old 08-09-2023, 14:34   #30

It is a bit early to do the tonnage measurement yet. FYI, I am talking about a production boat. 2007 Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40.