Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2021, 16:34   #61

Re: My yacht is impounded

If it s like a lot of 3 rd world countries and island nations it could take many years for the prosecution of the drug runner ... and under many coutry’s lawys such as the usa , a vehicle or boat used in drug crimes can be seized by the Government.

Save yr $ on a lawyer. Contact yr knsurance co. And open a claim for insured value. And wait.
kaisardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 16:37   #62

Boat: Dix 43 HD

Best to hire a "mechanic" to go and get it for you - you might need to go up the African coast to find one with the appropriate " experience" but maybe your previous "mechanic" has some Croatian mates who also have the relevant experience in undercover boat recovery work
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 17:02   #63

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
One has to wonder what the OP is up to. While there are occasionally cases where naive owners get caught up in illegal activities this doesn't appear to be one of them. The crew left Croatia at the end of February for a March-April westbound crossing - supposedly with a "charter fleet"; just about nobody crosses west at that time of year with the hurricanes coming, and not a charter fleet when the Med charter season is close to starting. The fact that the authorities had their eyes on this specific boat in February, before their departure from Croatia, is pretty damn suspicious. But then, as the authorities were doing a full court press in the Caribbean with repeated boardings and inspections they returned to the Canaries, then headed south to meet a ship and their cargo before returning north. All this over a six month period and the owner is surprised that something went amiss? And that crew are pretty stupid - they had to know the authorities were watching them so why didn't they give up and get a different boat? You don't have to be very bright to be a criminal - only to be a criminal that doesn't get caught.

Without any written evidence of an agreement (and even with) the OP is going to have a very hard time convincing anyone that this was just a friendly loan of his boat. Virtually no one does that. Just the wear and tear of two Atlantic crossings would cost thousands, and then there is the issue of insurance. If the OP is so rich that he can be so generous then losing the boat shouldn't be too painful; if losing it is painful then it is hard to believe his "generosity". In any event, considering that the authorities had already identified the boat back in February (2020) as involved in drug smuggling, the OP looks guilty as hell (whether or not he actually is). He may not be the (alleged) ringleader, but he sure does look like an investor. I agree with others: hire a good criminal lawyer and forget about the boat - they are on to him. I appreciate that claiming ignorance as a defense may be his only hope, but better to work that out through a good lawyer. And cancel any travel plans... And my apologies to the OP if he really is dumb enough to loan his boat to a drug smuggler without knowing it.

Greg
So, it's a fact that the poster was indeed posting about the boat whose seizure is described in the article above?

Was that confirmed anywhere?

Geesh, you guys don't need any gym memberships...me thinks you get enough excercise jumping to conclusions
Afrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 17:17   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrinus View Post
So, it's a fact that the poster was indeed posting about the boat whose seizure is described in the article above?

Was that confirmed anywhere?

Geesh, you guys don't need any gym memberships...me thinks you get enough excercise jumping to conclusions
1) Both boats were Croatian flagged
2) Both boats were Beneteau 46s
3) Both boats were seized for having a ‘large consignment’ of drugs onboard
4) Timelines match up

This isn’t exactly a large jump, guy.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 17:20   #65
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Firstly the Spanish process significant amounts of drug running in the Canaries and as a semi autonomous region the penalties are harsh.

Secondly typically the interior will be destroyed as the boat will be searched for secret hiding places. I saw one such yacht in Santa Cruz. Basically you don’t want it back.

I’m afraid basically it’s gone. You could try and establish your bone fides but the yacht will be impounded till the case is heard and sentenced and that can take some considerable time. The Spanish won’t look after it either.

I saw a similar situation on Ireland , a beautiful 80 footer was impounded for drug smuggling , the interior was essentially removed by being cut up with power saws. The yacht was impounded for other 3 years and rotted in the back of a boat yard. It was eventually auctioned for a pittance.
Old 20-07-2021, 17:32   #66

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I suspect if the owner does make an effort to recover the yacht he will be asked to come to the Canaries for some reason or another (to identify it, to take possession, etc) and then the trap will close. By all means file a claim, but don't waste much money. And don't go anywhere - the chances that they will arrest him are high. Interpol uses secret warrants so he wouldn't necessarily be able to find out if they are wanting to arrest him. And if they want him they will make an offer to the crew, and being without conscience the crew will be happy to assist. Remember what the Italians did to Amanda Knox...

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 17:32   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Entertaining thread !
Old 20-07-2021, 19:02   #68

Boat: 55 fleming

You have just been to the College of Experience and paid an expensive tuition. Live and learn wright the experience up to education and move on. Any further effort on your part will in all probability be further money and time down the drain.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 19:13   #69

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You do know of course that the 420 is a sailboat aside from the other meaning.

Introduction to the 420 - 420 Sailing
Somebody's always gotta spoil the joke lol
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 19:17   #70

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Read this. The same thing may have happen if the smuggler had reached the US but your may have had a better chance with a US lawyer. Oh scratch my last, they are just as bad...
Mitnik's "The Art of Invisibility" is pretty good

I also recommend Madinger's "Money Laundering" which reads like a text book (it is) but is an excellent and in-depth examination of strategy and tactics.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 22:03   #71

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN2140 View Post
I am posting because I am interested in further developments.
For future reference, you just need to go to the top of the postings, click on 'Thread tools', and then on the drop-down menu, click 'Subscribe to this post'
Old 20-07-2021, 22:04   #72

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonih View Post
In 2020 I gave my mechanic permission to use our yacht so that he could accompany a charter fleet across the Atlantic. Or so he said.
Our yacht was boarded west of the Canaries and a large consignment of drugs were found on board.
He was arrested, and as far as we know our yacht is still impounded in the Canaries.
Quotes to engage a Spanish lawyer were about the same value as the yacht, so we didn't pursue the legal route.
No one has contacted us.
Can anyone offer advice as to how to reclaim our yacht?
Yacht is registered in Croatia. We live in South Africa.
Looks to me that the drug smuggler claimed he had permission to use the boat not that the OP actually did so.
Old 20-07-2021, 23:15   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Looks to me that the drug smuggler claimed he had permission to use the boat not that the OP actually did so.
Suggest you re-read this bit of the original post:
> In 2020 I gave my mechanic permission to use our yacht so that he could accompany a charter fleet across the Atlantic.

Looks to me as though "or so he said" just refers to the mechanic's supposed reason given to the OP for using the yacht.
The fact that the OP "gave my mechanic permission" doesn't appear to be in dispute. He is clearly stating here that he did.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 23:46   #74

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisardog View Post
Save yr $ on a lawyer. Contact yr knsurance co. And open a claim for insured value. And wait.
Every insurance I've had has excluded government actions.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 00:10   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonih View Post
In 2020 I gave my mechanic permission to use our yacht so that he could accompany a charter fleet across the Atlantic. Or so he said.
Our yacht was boarded west of the Canaries and a large consignment of drugs were found on board.
He was arrested, and as far as we know our yacht is still impounded in the Canaries.
Quotes to engage a Spanish lawyer were about the same value as the yacht, so we didn't pursue the legal route.
No one has contacted us.
Can anyone offer advice as to how to reclaim our yacht?
Yacht is registered in Croatia. We live in South Africa.
hi Jan Hju Norval Gibson or Ian Hugh
Spain returns your yacht.Yacht first register in the UK then 3 times sail over the ocean, later register in North Ireland again sail cross-ocean(or africa) again register in Croatia and sail to west Africa and caught with cocaine, if you return to EU Spain glade return your yacht only you must explain you give free yacht (18 months)for the person you never meet because you are good men.
one question 28s or 26S may be top
more is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht