Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2021, 00:46   #76

Re: My yacht is impounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris14679 View Post
If your mechanic had stolen the yacht then you'd be in a better position to retrieve perhaps? It's unfortunate that you admitted in writing that you gave him permission to use it.

While you may have given him permission to use it recreationally, you didn't give him permission to use it in the way he did use it and certainly you expected to have the boat back by now, so perhaps you would still be justified in reporting it to Spanish authorities as stolen property and that would be a route to getting it back?

I'm sure they'd actually be very happy to be relieved of the problem of storing or disposing of it if you gave them a reasonable excuse.
I agree - This is a very good approach to get your baby back. Give them excuses and present yourselve as an innocent victim.
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 01:43   #77

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Given your “mechanic” is already facing time, and I’m assuming there’s nothing in writing between you and him/her, why not just say that it was stolen and put in an insurance claim?

Of course, going on an international forum and asking for advice might not be a good idea.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 01:59   #78
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
hi Jan Hju Norval Gibson or Ian Hugh
Spain returns your yacht.Yacht first register in the UK then 3 times sail over the ocean, later register in North Ireland again sail cross-ocean(or africa) again register in Croatia and sail to west Africa and caught with cocaine, if you return to EU Spain glade return your yacht only you must explain you give free yacht (18 months)for the person you never meet because you are good men.
one question 28s or 26S may be top

There of course no such thing as a Northern Ireland yacht registration it’s simply a U.K. one
Old 21-07-2021, 02:00   #79
Nearly an old salt

My yacht is impounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Given your “mechanic” is already facing time, and I’m assuming there’s nothing in writing between you and him/her, why not just say that it was stolen and put in an insurance claim?

Of course, going on an international forum and asking for advice might not be a good idea.

Of course , sure the insurance will just say “ that’s terrible , poor you , heres a big cheque “
Old 21-07-2021, 02:01   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
why not just say that it was stolen and put in an insurance claim?
What insurance after almost 2 year
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 02:04   #81
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There of course no such thing as a Northern Ireland yacht registration it’s simply a U.K. one
sorry Ireland
Old 21-07-2021, 02:12   #82

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Suggest you re-read this bit of the original post:
> In 2020 I gave my mechanic permission to use our yacht so that he could accompany a charter fleet across the Atlantic.

Looks to me as though "or so he said" just refers to the mechanic's supposed reason given to the OP for using the yacht.
The fact that the OP "gave my mechanic permission" doesn't appear to be in dispute. He is clearly stating here that he did.
Hi Stu,

It's ambiguous because it's poorly structured. Had he said "The mechanic wrongfully claimed I had given him permission to accompany a charter fleet across the Atlantic." there would be no doubt.

However, why add the "or so he said" unless the owner disputes it.

There is insufficient information to draw any conclusions regarding the true circumstances the owner may have innocently left the vessel in the care of the mechanic during these mobility restricted times.
Old 21-07-2021, 02:33   #83

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Forget lawyers or insurance companies--it's all about who you know.

Case in point:
I read a story about a doctor from New York letting his captain take a Hinckley back to the Caribbean after they'd all sailed north one spring. Sure enough, when the captain returned to the US he was caught--and the boat impounded--for smuggling drugs. But 24 hours after the owner made one call the Coast Guard brought the boat back to his dock...and, wearing cloth booties, were polishing the brass.
Apparently the doctor, a cardiac surgeon, called the husband of one of his recent patients. Seems the patient and her husband were living in Washington, D.C.--at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 02:35   #84
Nearly an old salt

My yacht is impounded

Quote:
sorry Ireland

Not possible without unbroken chain of original ownership docs and boat must be physically measured by an approved Irish surveyor ( that last part might be a wee wee bit tricky )
Old 21-07-2021, 02:38   #85
Nearly an old salt

My yacht is impounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hi Stu,

It's ambiguous because it's poorly structured. Had he said "The mechanic wrongfully claimed I had given him permission to accompany a charter fleet across the Atlantic." there would be no doubt.

However, why add the "or so he said" unless the owner disputes it.

There is insufficient information to draw any conclusions regarding the true circumstances the owner may have innocently left the vessel in the care of the mechanic during these mobility restricted times.

The innocence of the owner ( and his naivety) are not being considered here

The yacht is now evidence in a serious crime. It will have been ( or will be ) examined and typically have significant parts of its interior removed to discover hiding places.

It will remain impounded until after the trial is complete. It may even be judged the “ proceeds of crime “ etc.

It’s not returning any day soon

The owner will no doubt be contacted by the Spanish authorities in due course.
Old 21-07-2021, 04:35   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The crew seem to be part of a smuggling ring that moves a lot of weight. Which means they could have easily bought their own boat, although that might have been risky if they were known to law enforcement. So they get a boat with a clean ownership. That much makes sense. The question is why would anyone loan that valuable of a boat for half a year and two Atlantic crossings to his mechanic? Simple generosity doesn't seem adequate to explain it. OTOH the owner may not be a regular part of the smuggling ring: my bet is that there was a wink and a nod that a certain amount of money would be paid if the trip was successful, and no need to state what that meant. From what I can glean this is a pretty common gambit for drug smugglers: use people's greed to get them to help smuggle drugs, and make it look like they are not going to get pulled in if things go south. So now the owner wants his boat back and of course claims ignorance - and doesn't initially realize his personal exposure. If this is the case then the authorities might not consider him worth the effort to pursue, but aren't going to give him his boat back either. This is one of those cases where he needs to prove his innocence, and that may not be possible. After all, do you believe he was that ridiculously generous to his mechanic, or that he was expecting something under the table for loaning the boat? I would not want to go into any court with that, and especially a European court based on the Napoleonic Code.

Greg
Code Civil (aka Code Napoleon) - meaning

It was introduced by Napoléon Bonaparte on March 21, 1804. The main contents of the Code Civil were equality before the law, freedom for every citizen, separation of church and state, the abolition of compulsory guilds and the protection of private property.

Hence, this code seems to be better than the US FBI & co. practise their raids regarding private property...

Cheers
Dirk
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 04:36   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
1) Both boats were Croatian flagged
2) Both boats were Beneteau 46s
3) Both boats were seized for having a ‘large consignment’ of drugs onboard
4) Timelines match up

This isn’t exactly a large jump, guy.
And the OP hasn't come back and said, that the story isn't about his boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 05:05   #88
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
And the OP hasn't come back and said, that the story isn't about his boat.
nick here gibson-ih, owner of this boat is Jan Hju Norval Gibson aka Ian Hugh location suburban of Johannesburg old address is forbidden to disposal. But again i know Spain return his boat only he must land on EU soil.
Old 21-07-2021, 05:10   #89

Quote:

Considering that you just advised him to file a written false statement with the police, in what is obviously a serious felony investigation (not to mention attempting to defraud an insurance company), I would have to completely agree with your last sentence.
Old 21-07-2021, 05:26   #90

Quote:
nick here gibson-ih, owner of this boat is Jan Hju Norval Gibson aka Ian Hugh location suburban of Johannesburg old address is forbidden to disposal. But again i know Spain return his boat only he must land on EU soil.
I'm guessing that English isn't your first language...I'm not following any of that.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht