Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 20:45   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: My First Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingtofree View Post

Anyway i digress i just want the thread to be about potential pitfalls when i do find a boat to look at, and ways to make sure the trip can be as safe as possible
The biggest pitfall is the one that you seem not willing to consider: that your budget, time scale and total lack of experience make your proposed voyage appear (to those of us who actually have done such things) as totally unfeasible. TOTALLY.

I am sure that this is not the response that you desired, but it is my honest and thoughtful opinion... and apparently that of most of the other posters.

I have no wish to denigrate your ambition, but when you ask for advice, be prepared to consider responses that are contrary to your preconceived notions and desires.

Sorry 'bout that, mate!

Jim
Old 10-04-2014, 20:49   #32

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Hold Fast

These kids made it on roughly your budget, but they didn't go nearly as far as you are proposing.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 20:58   #33

Boat: O'day 27

Didn't read through all the comments, so sorry if you're hearing this twice but check this out!.. its a contessa 26 by the way

youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 21:06   #34

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Let's call a truce. The problem is when someone with no experience comes here and says " This is what I'm going to do, what does everyone think", they need to be ready to accept critical comments. You came here for advice? You're getting it from those that know better than you.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 21:20   #35

You do know the risks-you watched "all is lost". You probably should have left that fact out of your post.
Just sayin

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 22:02   #36

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Welcome aboard!

If you leave SF in July then you'll be sailing into Mexico waters during hurricane season which lasts until November. There are places along the coast which require days of sailing without too much in the way of a good port to enter.

If you are by yourself you will be doing all your own hand steering if you don't have a windvane steering system. You'll have to do that 24 hours a day unless you are able to find a suitable port. From the CA border to the end of Baja is roughly 1000 miles. If your boat is capable of making 5 knots an hour that's 120 miles in a 24 hour day. So that would be 8 1/3 days if you did'nt do any stops which you will because you'll be too tired to steer 24/7. That's less than 1/3rd the way to Panama from the CA border.

Just a tiny bit of reality.
Old 10-04-2014, 23:19   #37

Boat: N/A At least not yet

I think you may be missing the point,.. The people here sound like they are trying to save your life from attempting a voyage of this magnitude on your own in a discount scratch and dent boat. It's up to you entirely of course, but i guarantee that trolley you hop on and off of is much better equipped for the trip across town than a 2000$ boat is across the ocean. And no, I don't have sailing experience, but the folks on here do, maybe their advice should count for something. What's your entire budget for this trip?
DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 00:19   #38

ok everyone i cam here for advice, and i got it good bad ugly whatever, that what i wanted, i dont have experience in this route so those that do need to speak up (as they have done) true there is a lot to consider, still it would be nice to do it though, i bet it would be a helluva trip and with the folks here helping me along the way i bet i would avoid many pitfalls, thats whats so great about these forums the good and bad, only difference from the usual forum is THESE people are and have sailed so they KNOW what they are talking about, i am thankful that no one fluffed their feathers, all the people here have water under their keels, which is more then i can say for me in a long time, still i am ambitious and BTW the reason as i pointed out for this trip wasnt so much adventure as it was point a to point b via point c-z LOL

But what a trip this would have been

to see more about my crazy adventures check out the now archived website of my journey across the USA

thanks guys

MySpectacularJourney ... Join Me On The Road To Adventure - Welcome To MySpectacularJourney!
sailingtofree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 00:32   #39

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

i'm going to read your post as if you've decided to give this venture up. Good idea. Sailing from SF to Key west is NOT the same as riding a scooter along the eastern seaboard (I've ridden my motorcycle both across the US and across europe - so I do know what I am talking about). Your chances of making were slim to none.

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 00:34   #40

Boat: N/A At least not yet

Lol I like this site.
DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 00:46   #41

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some of you may notice that I've deleted a few posts. This had to be done since there was a bit of not being nice occurring.

Sorry but had to be done.

carsten

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 11-04-2014, 00:50   #42

For the record i DID NOT GIVE UP on my idea, i will still be pursuing it, just not so heavily on this forum, I am registered on sailing.net forums and a few others and am receiving lots of great help there,

Its ok you deleted some posts, most mods leave them up forever, good to filter out the crap

I am not condoning anyone do this trip or not, to each their own, first i have to find a boat, so most likely look for some post later about a potential craft i might consider

Otherwise then that its all good
sailingtofree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:37   #43

Hi Sailing4Free,

To give you an example (may apply to some or not to others) I am a beginner-intermediate sailor. I've had my own sailboat (32 feet) for three years now, and had instruction on and off again for a couple of years before that.

I recently did a 50 nautical mile solo coastal trip with near gale conditions in two meter seas. It was all I could handle and exactly what I wanted to handle at the time. But I couldn't have done it without hurting myself or my boat a year ago.

Whats helped me is going out for day sails regularly, gradually going out in more challenging conditions. Start out in very mild conditions where there is barely enough wind (less that 10 knots) to get going in flat seas. There is much more time to react and figure out what to do safely. Then gradually go out in choppier conditions or with higher wind gusts to practice practical things like reefing down and avoiding uncontrolled jibes, roundups or breeches. You might find you have no time to think and react if you have not had the prior practice in easier conditions. An autopilot helps, but also requires practice and understanding how your autopilot works in various conditions.

Another thing that took time was finding out what kind of condition my boat was in. You can't count on a boat you buy being sea worthy even with a pre-purchase survey. It takes a lot of familiarity with the boat to know where the skeletons are buried. Mine was not that bad, but it took patience to uncover the systems that needed improvement and money to do the improvement even what I was able to do myself. There is still much to do to make my boat 'cruise ready.'

For me night sailing, overnight sailing is the next step, but I'll probably get my instructor to do the first one with me.

Hope my beginner's stories help get you ready for your trip.
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:07   #44

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigelKent View Post
Hi Sailing4Free,

To give you an example (may apply to some or not to others) I am a beginner-intermediate sailor. I've had my own sailboat (32 feet) for three years now, and had instruction on and off again for a couple of years before that.

I recently did a 50 nautical mile solo coastal trip with near gale conditions in two meter seas. It was all I could handle and exactly what I wanted to handle at the time. But I couldn't have done it without hurting myself or my boat a year ago.

Whats helped me is going out for day sails regularly, gradually going out in more challenging conditions. Start out in very mild conditions where there is barely enough wind (less that 10 knots) to get going in flat seas. There is much more time to react and figure out what to do safely. Then gradually go out in choppier conditions or with higher wind gusts to practice practical things like reefing down and avoiding uncontrolled jibes, roundups or breeches. You might find you have no time to think and react if you have not had the prior practice in easier conditions. An autopilot helps, but also requires practice and understanding how your autopilot works in various conditions.

Another thing that took time was finding out what kind of condition my boat was in. You can't count on a boat you buy being sea worthy even with a pre-purchase survey. It takes a lot of familiarity with the boat to know where the skeletons are buried. Mine was not that bad, but it took patience to uncover the systems that needed improvement and money to do the improvement even what I was able to do myself. There is still much to do to make my boat 'cruise ready.'

For me night sailing, overnight sailing is the next step, but I'll probably get my instructor to do the first one with me.

Great post RK.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:18   #45

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigelKent View Post
Hi Sailing4Free,

Agreed - good post with some valuable information