Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 19:09   #1

My First Boat

Ok so if you know me then you know my plan and im not going to repeat it, you can always read the thread at

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ey-124159.html

I am looking for my first boat, not looking to spend a ton of money (i know what your thinking then dont own a boat) but if one thing i have learned in life if you shop around you can find a lovingly used product for good money, I plan on taking it from san fran to FLorida, so i will be doing a pacific atlantic transit, i am think 25-30 footer should be plenty with a main and possibly a jib, all the other stuff (head, water tanks, radio, etc) as well

Just wanted to get some peoples ideas on boats and configurations, i would love to hear from people who have done long distance transits in smaller sails,

Hope to hear from everyone, i set sail in July btw
sailingtofree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 19:41   #2

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: My First Boat

So you have allowed two months and a bit to find and outfit a boat, without throwing money around?

Just to give you some perspective, we had to wait over a week to line up our hull survey - this is the big season when the weather turns nice and everyone suddenly wants to buy a boat. The same will be true for scheduling haul out or crane if you need any major work.

Also, do you realize that there are hurricanes along the Pacific coast of Mexico and into Central America? We don't hear about them much in the US because they tend to head south, but the season is the same as the Atlantic.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 20:01   #3

Greenhand

Thanks for the advice, yes im extremely aware of the hurricanes lol, ill be trying to stay close to the coast in case i need to seek safe harbor, im not looking to find a boat that will need haul out, im hoping to find one that will be pretty close to ready to go when i take ownership

I know its a crazy idea, but im quite known for those lol, FYI i lived in key west so hurricanes are nothing new to me, i figure ill make the gulf of mexico before the hurricane season starts in that area!
Old 09-04-2014, 20:36   #4

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingtofree View Post
Ok so if you know me then you know my plan and im not going to repeat it, you can always read the thread at

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ey-124159.html

I am looking for my first boat, not looking to spend a ton of money (i know what your thinking then dont own a boat) but if one thing i have learned in life if you shop around you can find a lovingly used product for good money, I plan on taking it from san fran to FLorida, so i will be doing a pacific atlantic transit, i am think 25-30 footer should be plenty with a main and possibly a jib, all the other stuff (head, water tanks, radio, etc) as well

Just wanted to get some peoples ideas on boats and configurations, i would love to hear from people who have done long distance transits in smaller sails,

Hope to hear from everyone, i set sail in July btw

Several days ago I stumbled across a Cal 2-27 for sale in the Bay Area. It seemed to be nicely equipped, while needing a bit of polish and elbow grease. Try as I may, I couldn't talk the seller out of his wind vane, but hope springs eternal. Check craigslist for it.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 21:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Bank View Post
Several days ago I stumbled across a Cal 2-27 for sale in the Bay Area. It seemed to be nicely equipped, while needing a bit of polish and elbow grease. Try as I may, I couldn't talk the seller out of his wind vane, but hope springs eternal. Check craigslist for it.
Fog bank, am i missing something here, wind vane? is that a sailing reference?

Ill look for it!
Old 09-04-2014, 21:08   #6

Fogbank

could be

1984 Cal 27 Sail Boat

Or

Jensen Cal 20 sailboat w/slip in Santa Cruz

Cal 2-27 pocket cruiser *price reduced*

any of those is ridiculously out of my range, 10k for a car, 6 k for a motorcycle not a boat lol not on my watch
Old 09-04-2014, 21:12   #7

Quote:

Ill look for it!
A wind vane is a self steering system. That boat has a Navik.
Old 09-04-2014, 21:19   #8

Quote:
seems i have some stuff to learn lol i like to steer on my own mostly or by the stars at night if im in big ocean with no land as a guide

gps always helps to lol!

tried to share a couple links with you but the forum seems to not allow on it (gay)

FYI this is the one i really think would work for me and my trip!

-----http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/boa/4400829107.html----
Old 09-04-2014, 21:47   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking of the thingy on top of the mast that indicated wind direction.

Old 09-04-2014, 22:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking of the thingy on top of the mast that indicated wind direction.

me too i thought he really wanted to buy a wind vane lol
Old 10-04-2014, 01:10   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

Ill look for it!
uhhh, not meaning to rain on your parade, but how much have you actually sailed? Most would know that a wind vane is the "thingy" atop the mast that determines wind direction. I did pick up on the fact that the poster meant windvane steering system.

But if you don't know any of that - how are you planning on safely making it from the west US coast to the east US coast?

Just asking - that is not the easiest trip to undertake, as many can attest to.

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:36   #12
cruiser

Buy in Florida and save yourself the hassle of most likely not making it. That's a long trip for a green sailor. If you didn't know right off the batt that a wind vane was steering gear, then grab some books and get back to research.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:47   #13

Quote:
Fogbank

could be

1984 Cal 27 Sail Boat

Or

Jensen Cal 20 sailboat w/slip in Santa Cruz

Cal 2-27 pocket cruiser *price reduced*

any of those is ridiculously out of my range, 10k for a car, 6 k for a motorcycle not a boat lol not on my watch

I believe it was sitting in Emeryville. Asking price was 6500 for the 2-27, but it would need a bit of work. Anything you buy is going to need a bit of work though.

After looking over the one in LA you posted I'm left with a few questions on its overall condition. As has been said, you might consider purchasing in Florida. A purchase there could make financial sense.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:06   #14

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

If he buys in Florida, he won't experience the trip.
It is unrealistic to think you'll find a $5,000 boat ready to sail half-way around the world in a couple months, both boat and skipper will need a lot more time before undertaking such a voyage, at least with expectations for a good outcome.
You might consider getting a trailered sailboat, and trailer it to the places you want to sail, it will cost a lot less to cross over to the gulf via a trailer vs panama canal.
Old 10-04-2014, 13:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
If he buys in Florida, he won't experience the trip. it will cost a lot less to cross over to the gulf via a trailer vs panama canal.

I do agree to the first part, as for the towing costs i was under the impression that it was more expensive, near as i can tell up to date is that the canal is 800 for a small boat like mine would be, and you get some of that back, not sure how much yet

But still an idea to think about, could i die out there, yes! but i could also die by being hit my a trolley that has gone off its rails in san fran

Were all gonna die someday