Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-12-2016, 05:54   #1381

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
How about a floating Tiki bar anchored off of popular sailing destinations where services generally are not available.
Problem is that services generally ARE available in all of the popular destinations. That's kind of what makes them popular!

The places where services are not available are the places that folks like to go for a short visit, specifically to get away from things like tiki bars.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 06:21   #1382
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

@ Active Capt
Thanks for a fantastic post about working while cruising.
Your business knowledge is second to none; your generosity is epic!

I am a Long time Active Capt user and Active Capt evangelist. Thank you for AC! I have used it as a planning tool from Massachusetts to Marsh Harbour in Bahamas.
I mentally thank you every time I avoid a hazard or drop the hook.

I have decades of music making as a professor and conductor but now transitioning to web apps. My wife and I will do the snowbird route like you on Red Head.
Fair seas.
Old 26-12-2016, 21:03   #1383

the best way to unlimited money is to learn futures and commodities trading, ...when you're good enough, you can trade anywhere in the world...
mjmtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 03:39   #1384
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mjmtv.

The FOREX market is weird. Every time one guy sells, another one buys, and they both think they're smart.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 04:30   #1385

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mjmtv.

The FOREX market is weird. Every time one guy sells, another one buys, and they both think they're smart.
+1
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 08:15   #1386

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmtv View Post
the best way to unlimited money is to learn futures and commodities trading, ...when you're good enough, you can trade anywhere in the world...
Except that becoming 'good enough' takes years of hands on experience and training that asks for a pretty specific set of mathematical, financial and emotional skills.

Otherwise sure, trading (anything) is a great way to make money, anytime, anywhere.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 08:28   #1387

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. A forex (but also straight commodity or security) can be a win/win deal.

Mind the two parties may have two different priorities. And so both can be equally happy with the end result.

The same applies to every day life. Just think of e.g. marriages.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 10:17   #1388

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav View Post
Just joined the forum... my 1st post here.
I've been driving around Australia in an old campervan and while in Darwin I got talked into training greyhounds (to race). Long story short ... I have won a bit backing my dogs lately and instead of losing it back to the bookies, I bought a 32' yacht in an eBay auction.
Full length keel, heavy built in fiberglass about the late 1980's.
I intend to live aboard while upgrading it, and financing things by continuing my greyhound training which nets me about $600 a week on top of my old age pension.
As for financing my cruising later on, I will have my pension anywhere I go in the world, apart from that... I will read this forum.
Haven't the Aussie government change the pension laws so that if you are out of the country for more than 20ish weeks they stop pension payments?
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 12:05   #1389

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

That's what we have in Canada. Trust the government to claw back anything they can. The 1% can't stand the idea that the regular folks might be able to enjoy their retirement.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 17:43   #1390
Sav

Boat: Manitou 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Haven't the Aussie government change the pension laws so that if you are out of the country for more than 20ish weeks they stop pension payments?
If its an old age retirement pension there are no penalties or re-entry requirements at all... I called and asked about it.
However if it's a disability pension, you are required to re-enter at least every 6 weeks... and so a lot of Aussies on such pensions choose to live in South East Asia due to cheap airfares back into Northern Australia (Darwin or Cairns).
They can rent a unit or condo in Thailand for $200 a month (less in Philippines) and eat fantastic food for $3 a meal, but grog still costs a bit tho. A one day return airfare to Darwin might cost $300 or $400 every 6 weeks, but its a minor expense when they are receiving well over $400 a week pension.
Those aged pensioners who have no such problem still may need to hop the border to laos or cambodia every 3 months (maybe 6) to stay virtually permanently in thailand... the Land Of smiles (and pretty girls).
Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:25   #1391

I had a go at street music while cruising in france and spain with mixed results. barcelona was good but one has to be very careful not to upset local buskers or the police. regulations are tightening up in southern europe for street music.

we managed to stay away for nine months cruising... it is hard work and difficult to leave if you find a good spot.
capnpiddannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 13:08   #1392

Boat: Islander 36 1977

Matt I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but I need to speak with someone who has experience with amercoat 450h. Not sure how to send you a message
Moltensurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 20:10   #1393

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpiddannick View Post
I had a go at street music while cruising in france and spain with mixed results. barcelona was good but one has to be very careful not to upset local buskers or the police. regulations are tightening up in southern europe for street music.

we managed to stay away for nine months cruising... it is hard work and difficult to leave if you find a good spot.
Good music
Old 11-02-2017, 22:00   #1394

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Any of you that are design engineer types, you can purchase Solidworks or similar CAD program and do remote work.
I work part time with a few clients and have enough income for my sailing budget and has funded all my repairs and upkeep on the boat.
Of course I have a longtime reputation as a design engineer but a person can start out with charging less to get started
Old 12-02-2017, 07:25   #1395
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
my 2 pennies:: went from Tampa to Rio Dulce via Belize 10 years ago on my old 35' wood ketch. Spent 3 months in Rio. Place was full of broke cruisers who thought they could make a living afloat doing odd jobs for other cruisers . However they wanted first world wages in a third world country.....sigh
Ding ding ding.....
It's not just Rio Dulce, they areally in about every Cruiser destination around the world where the ran out of money.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle