Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 08:48   #16

Boat: Chartering so far
Re: Live and charter own sailing boat in the Phils

Well, seems most impossible to make it.
Checking for example Indonesia a foreign business dealing with domestic or international sea transportation the maximum ownership for the foreigner is 49%.
I haven't found the data for Philippines but in a document I found it has to be 100% filipino.
I just dont want to be worried about those things when encountering authorities, as if it was not enough with the usual authority abuse that I dont need to have also the problem of running an activity illegally, not for me.
Unless there is a way around, it does not seem to be the place to do that.

About the price, there is price for everyone depending what is being offered. Boats offering share based stay onboard usually take 40-100$ a day on behalf of the maintenance and run of the yacht.
I haven't done the numbers about what would be an appropriate amount for the shareable yacht costs but it would be around 100$ I guess.
Jaimesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 08:52   #17

Boat: Tartan 3000

One group that would pay that for sure is divers.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 08:53   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Make money in a first-world country where rule of law is (still, mostly) respected. Ideally your home country.

Then take your earnings to your favorite tropical paradise and spend it.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:29   #19

Boat: Chartering so far

That is not the plan I have. That is why I am searching for options. It is not necessary to make money just survival would be enough.
Jaimesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 13:14   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The secret to living in the Philippines from a business and personal perspective, is to be low key in what you do.

If trying to become a passenger carrier, you would be dealing with the "Marine Industry Department"
(nicknamed MARINA) along with Coast Gaurd .

That civil service, along with most is underpaid, poorly educated and often corrupt.

However, the wonderful people of the Philippines, somehow muddle thru this, by accommodating each other via private deals.

You got good advice to privately work via resorts who would take a "management %" to provide you with customers in a resort organized cruise.

It would be seen as an added value option, that can provided on demand.

No money is collected by you, and benefits can come in various forms of provisioning and parts "gifts" via the resort owner.

if you stayed low key in a provincial resort location, let others make the arrangements to be your guests and maintain the profile of a retired tourist, who is bored and likes to meet people.... You will not have any problems.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 15:38   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
You will not have any problems.
Sure you shouldn't put a "maybe" in there?

Totally unpredictable IMO.

Can see many scenarios leading to the boat getting seized, owner made to feel lucky "only" being deported.

Stand by my advice above.

Wanna know how to make a small fortune there? Start with a large one.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 17:35   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi John,
Fair comment....
...."Maybe".... a girl claims he is the father of her Taiwanese looking baby and they try to seize his assets..
....The rule of law bends both ways here as do paternity tests, depending on who is doing the testing.[emoji33] [emoji4]

I'm guessing the OP is really just looking for a sustainable solution but does not want to bear the costs of positioning the boat, without any assurances. (Hence his initial desire to formally start a business)

If I were him, I would spend time first as a visitor canvassing the resort areas he is considering, interview expat resort owners to get a sense of the business plan they could both support and then commit to positioning the boat.

Until then, Stay away from local lawyers or barngay captains.

(Be low key) until you get the support of a resort.

Anually sail to Malaysia or Indonesia during the Typhoon seasons, so that you remain detached from local politics and just stay incognito as a cruising yacht who happens to favor a particular resort, when in the Philippines.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, charter, sail, sailing