Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2021, 09:43   #16
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’
Re: Floating Bar in State waters?

Greetings,

Maybe not exactly what you are envisioning but a couple years back, search the World Wide Web and you will easily find stories about it, in Kodiak Alaska, a young entrepreneurial group of fisher-folks converted their old fishing vessel into a floating venue to provide “services” to the local community with their primary target market the young fishermen sporting a recent hefty payday in their pocket. Although some locals were also known to have sought use of their offered wares. Their business model consisted of anchoring up, not sure or their chosen type of anchor but I am sure it would make for a lively discussion amongst the supreme anchor experts you find here. Perhaps we can convince Steve of S/V Panope to run some tests upon it. They would then offer a “free” skiff service to local docks for transport of their clientele to and from the aforementioned full service “fishing” vessel. I witnessed that skiff make many many trips to and fro. I assure you I never occupied that skiff myself, and any photos to the contrary are both doctored and altered to show my face.....I promise! It appears, via court arrest records and subsequent charging documents, one could purchase a variety of illegal narcotics, some “companionship”, both male and female, they don’t discriminate, and alcohol if so desired. It was the talk of the town for quite sometime and it moved between several locations in an effort to skirt the law but eventually they were boarded and the vessel seized by the Alaska state police and federal agents I am told.

Just some food for thought. Rumor in town was they were quite successful and profitable until such time as they were seized, of course.

None of the above prose shall be construed as legal advice or an admission of any guilt or wrongdoing by the author.

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 10:01   #17

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Floating Bar in State waters?

The Rockmore ran in Salem Mass for some time. There were attempts to reopen but it never quite happened.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pat...plate%3Dampart

http://archive.boston.com/news/local...nt_near_logan/

https://www.salemnews.com/archives/r...ad7f738ac.html
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 10:06   #18

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalier View Post
Does anyone know of a floating bar (similar to Willy T's in BVI) located in the US? I'm interested in the legalities of it. I figure finding one already in existence would give me a good place to start my research. I'm thinking of starting one near Wilmington / Wrightsville Beach NC. Lots of old shrimp trawlers around here begging to be repurposed.
There is one in Riviera Beach Fl. Don’t know the name, however
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 10:12   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

I passed one on Lake Winnepesaukee in NH summer 2019 (the patrons had to pedal to keep it moving!)

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 10:15   #20
Marine Service Provider

There are plenty of booze-cruise operations nation wide. What would be the difference if they were in a fixed location? Don't know but I'm sure the local bureaucrats have a million reasons why you can't do that.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 11:01   #21

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
Willy T's in the BVI at the Bitter end is actually the third so named boat. The last one went down in Hurricane Irma. I think it better to find the perfect location for a floating bar and then do the do diligence with licensing then find a large stout boat or barge to repurpose into your bar.
When we were there, Willy T’s was at The Bight on Norman Island. Opposite end of the BVI’s from the Bitter End. Is that one still there?
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 11:25   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalier View Post
Does anyone know of a floating bar (similar to Willy T's in BVI) located in the US? I'm interested in the legalities of it. I figure finding one already in existence would give me a good place to start my research. I'm thinking of starting one near Wilmington / Wrightsville Beach NC. Lots of old shrimp trawlers around here begging to be repurposed.
I'm guessing a liquor license would be a problem but the least of the problems.
Every one would be in on it. Local gov., state and feds. Everyone from fish and wildlife to OSHA. And then there are the do Gooders that would raise a clamor.
It may have been a feasible idea 50 years ago. Repurposing old trawlers would be a nit compared to the legal expenses.
I would love to see it pan out but would not be optimistic.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 11:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm guessing a liquor license would be a problem but the least of the problems.
Every one would be in on it. Local gov., state and feds. Everyone from fish and wildlife to OSHA. And then there are the do Gooders that would raise a clamor.
It may have been a feasible idea 50 years ago. Repurposing old trawlers would be a nit compared to the legal expenses.
I would love to see it pan out but would not be optimistic.
Really? What's the problem? It is a boat. With a bar. Just about every single dinner cruise boat around has a bar. And a lot of fishing boats too! In a lot of places you can buy a beer on the local water taxi. The idea that this somehow presents a unique set of totally insurmountable regulatory issues is just wrong. Your ideology is running way ahead of facts.

Now that we have dispensed with the idea that it CAN'T be done... it is not easy.

Any boat that will have more than 6 paying passengers needs to be an inspected vessel. From a practical standpoint, this means purpose built for commercial passenger operations. In most places where it would be a good business opportunity there will be a lot of competition, both land and sea based. Those existing businesses will likely go out of their way to remind all the local authorities to be sure that all the rules THEY have to comply with, are equally enforced on you.

Something like this does require a lot of capital, experience and knowledge to implement. From the standpoint of safety, that is very likely a good thing.

The very fact that the OP came here to ask about it tells me he just is not clear on the concept or issues, and isn't going to be able to take those hurdles.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 12:10   #24

I've seen then in the intercoastal by Fort Lauderdale and south of there.i
gfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 12:44   #25

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

There are places like the Chowder Barge or the San Pedro Yacht Club in LA Harbor. floating about 15 feet off the shore and connected to sewer and water. I'm sure they're treated just like shore based bars, business and liquor licenses and such.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 13:21   #26

Years ago there was a very popular float bar in Salem Harbor, the Rockmore. But the owners got greedy and started dumping its waste too close to shore instead of going out 25 miles as their permit required. After being caught a few times and some hundreds of thousands of unpaid fines later the busness was shutdown and few years later, after unsuccessful appeals the float was dismantled. I used to use it as a visual aid to finding my mooring since it was the only thing there which did not move with the tide.

Fast forward to last summer, there appeared a moving pontoon based tiki bar with 6 bar stools, geared to romantic dates by couples, family/small business outings or somesuch. The cost was $35/pp plus drinks and tips. Seemed to be very popular on the weekends and during weekday late afternoons.

I presume that the 6 bar stools limit was connected to 6-pack requirements. Looked like it was run by a couple.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 15:03   #27

Boat: CD25

There is one in the fl keys that I saw last week @MM99 bayside.Snook’s Bayside.It was a floating Tiki Bar that was round that was taking people out for sunset celebration.
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 16:52   #28

Boat: Caliber 28

There used to be an old barge that was converted into a bar/restaurant on the Hudson River in NY
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 17:44   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
The very fact that the OP came here to ask about it tells me he just is not clear on the concept or issues, and isn't going to be able to take those hurdles.
I came HERE to ask if anyone knew of any around the US, because google was filled with clickbait crap. I've gotten more great answers than Negative Nancys so I'm considering this thread a success.
Catalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 06:00   #30

Lightbulb Re: Floating Bar in State waters?

How about getting a caterer's license? With some thought, cell phones, and a little "roundabout", you might accomplish your goal legally.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, water