Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 06:26   #31

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: Floating Bar in State waters?

If your bar can move away from the dock with paying customers onboard then it is a charter and you need a licensed captain.
If it remains permanently tied to a dock then you will need a liquor license from the state.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:07   #32

We've thought about the same thing in Texas. I'll share resources with you if I find out anything.
TeriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:25   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalier View Post
Does anyone know of a floating bar (similar to Willy T's in BVI) located in the US? I'm interested in the legalities of it. I figure finding one already in existence would give me a good place to start my research. I'm thinking of starting one near Wilmington / Wrightsville Beach NC. Lots of old shrimp trawlers around here begging to be repurposed.
TikiHutBoats.com
I was moored in Salem Harbor enjoying a cigar and whiskey and heard music behind me and getting closer. When I turned to look, it was a palm leaf thatched roof with a clearly visible wrap around bar floating and outboard powered tiki bar. Hope this helps and is on point
shelbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:28   #34

Boat: Lagoon 46 / Searay Sundancer 350

A friend of mine tried to open one on Lake Lanier in Georgia. After months with lawyers and the Army Corps of Engineers (Controlling entity for Lake Lanier), he gave up. The basic answer from the Corps of Engineers was "no."
HabibiDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:54   #35

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

There are a number of them on the east coast of Florida. I've seen them near Ft Lauderdale, Miami and the Lake Worth and Jupiter inlets.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:05   #36

Boat: IslandPacket Packet Cat 35

There are moving ones in Wilmington, NC, like BrewBoat.com and SeaLegsPedalPub.com and stationary ones like Anne Bonnys Bar and Grill moored downtown.
ramalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:21   #37

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

There is one in our anchorage on St. John, US Virgin Islands. Lime Out has drinks and tacos. You sit on floating lily pads that hold six. It is a major attraction and gets lots of day boats. After a few growing pains it is a great addition.

https://www.limeoutvi.com/

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:22   #38

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran

I believe I seen one in Beaufort NC. Seen it go by while at anchor. Might be a BYOB set up too. Don’t know. Sat about 10 people it looked like.
ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:35   #39

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran

Ya know I bet it only had 6 seats. Only require 6 pack license then. Kinda looked like a tiki bar. had an out board.
ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 14:14   #40

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

There used to be one at the mouth of the caloosahatche river near Sanibel. I've also seen a few floating tiki bars around Miami, ft Lauderdale.

And several booze cruise ships.

Its apparently doable.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 15:07   #41

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Each state regulates the sale of alcoholic beverages and the establishments that serve/sell them. Laws vary, sometimes significantly. Attorneys buy their groceries and pay the mortgage by selling legal advice. You should consult one licensed to practice law in the state in which you're considering starting the business. Far too often, free legal advice is offered which is inconsistent with current regulations. You get what you pay for.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 15:29   #42

Boat: O'Day 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalier View Post
Does anyone know of a floating bar (similar to Willy T's in BVI) located in the US? I'm interested in the legalities of it. I figure finding one already in existence would give me a good place to start my research. I'm thinking of starting one near Wilmington / Wrightsville Beach NC. Lots of old shrimp trawlers around here begging to be repurposed.
Would be a short season here on Lake Michigan, but the beer would be cold this time of year! And plenty of ice for mixed drinks.

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 18:51   #43

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

A couple of six passenger circular tiki bars were on Lake George, NY two years ago but didn't see any last summer, likely due to the Covid issue.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 20:21   #44

Boat: 1978 Cape Dory Typhoon - Weekender

Check out Blarney Island in the middle of a lake in Antioch, IL
It has been in existence for years.
Christhebuddist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 20:37   #45

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbybob View Post
TikiHutBoats.com
I was moored in Salem Harbor enjoying a cigar and whiskey and heard music behind me and getting closer. When I turned to look, it was a palm leaf thatched roof with a clearly visible wrap around bar floating and outboard powered tiki bar. Hope this helps and is on point
Saw this Salem tiki one there last summer.

Also saw one in the Keys I think at Snooks last winter...

Boston has a bar on a paddleboat (but I guess that's a booze cruise). I used to think that the patrons were paddling but no, they're sitting at a bar listening to calypso and drinking.

I recall that Portland, Maine, used to have a floating restaurant but it was just at the dock so that's different.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, water